eMac, iMac killer is here!

Posted by: Anonymous

eMac, iMac killer is here! - 07/25/02 09:48 PM

Northgate Integra all in one computer with a 1.8Ghz to 2.2Ghz P4. 40GB-120GB HD. LCD monitor only 15". Price $1,099-$1,399. Also, $100-$200 software rebate certificate.<br><br>The Integra features either a 15- or 17-inch TFT screen. It includes a built-in sub-woofer and 5.1 channel speaker jacks as standard, comes with DVD, and CDR-W, TV and FM tuner, remote control, and DVD software. A firewire interface and four USB 2.4 ports togther with a bundle of multimedia software and built-in firewall complete the Mac-trumping specs. <br><br>Details here: <br><br>http://www.northgate.com/products/notebook_desktops/integra/<br><br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: eMac, iMac killer is here! - 07/26/02 03:12 AM

Ok Troll,<br><br>There is no way those are eMacs/iMacs killers...cause they run Windows! If you truly believe they are killers, then I suggest you take your Windows-loving butt and exit out the door <br><br>Anyone who owns a mac knows that no matter how pretty they dress up Windows, it would never be as nice as OS9/OSX. <br><br>I'm not even gonna tell you how to fix that link....<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: eMac, iMac killer is here! - 07/26/02 06:52 AM

<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: eMac, iMac killer is here! - 07/26/02 06:53 AM

Maybe not a "killer", but the specs on the new Northgate Integra obviously whip the eMac and iMac's booty hands down. <br><br>I like Macs, but I am sick and tired of paying twice the price, for the half the features, and getting short changed w/ the Mac. The eMac comes with only a 40 GB HD, and slow 100MHZ SDRAM that Apple sells at 4x the price of 266 DDR RAM. That is 3 year old technology. Where is Apple shopping for parts, eBay?<br><br>Besides, it just a computer that will be obsolete in 6 months. Why pay the Mac "Tax"? It doesn't make sense unless my mother worked at Apple and I could get an employee discount or a freebee.<br><br>Also, I double checked and you can get a 17" LCD monitor with the Northgate Integra.<br><br>

Re: eMac, iMac killer is here! - 07/26/02 11:30 AM

Mac killer?<br><br>You can debate out hardware specs till the cows come home, but when it comes to the OS and intutiveness of the software, you get stuck with the same old Windows XP [censored] with the Integra.<br><br>--<br>I am Dyslexic of Borg. Fusistance is retile. Your a$$ will be laminated.

Re: eMac, iMac killer is here! - 07/26/02 12:55 PM

Uh...are you new to Macs? Because it is well known that you will pay more for a mac and that the specs aren't the same between a PC and a Mac.<br><br>I honestly think that for the average home user, which the iMac/eMac is aimed towards, they are configured just right. 800mhz is plenty fast enough for the user of them.<br><br>Vijay is right...hardware is debatable. Sure I'd like to have a 2.5ghz G5 running full throttle and a HUGE bus speed...but fact is, I'm quite happy with my G4/500. If you can't afford what Apple charges for ram/hard drives, then order bare bones and get all that from someplace else. Easy.<br><br>Now, what you will get with that PC is Windows XP, an absolutely piece of [censored] OS that will never touch my desk. That alone makes that PC worthless in my eyes...<br><br>

Re: eMac, iMac killer is here! - 07/26/02 01:29 PM

Let's also think about the idea that a Mac will be obsolete in 6 months. That may be true for windows machines, which seem to poop out as soon as possible. But I'm still using my 4-year-old iMac Rev A and my wife is still using her 4-year-old Wallstreet PB. Even my main computer, a 400 MHz G4 tower, is now two and a half years old. It works fine, thanks. The plain old matter of fact is that Apple makes computers, and hardware generally, that lasts much longer and more effectively than any windows box maker does. Put that in your pipe and smoke it--it may get you farther than posting nonsense about iMac killers, which is a line borrowed from the manufacturer's page, by the way.<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: eMac, iMac killer is here! - 07/27/02 12:05 AM

Why are you trying to convince us that Windows Box's are better? Your in the wrong place. Do you work for that company or something? We may pay more for a mac but we get BETTER quality LONGER lasting and USABLE computers. Once again wrong place. And even f a mac is out-dated in 6 months PCs are probably out-dated every 1.5 months. Seriously I was having a good day till I read your crap. Whatever Im not that mad. Peace out.<br><br>Peace, Late, Skate<br><br>~Steve~

Re: eMac, iMac killer is here! - 07/27/02 09:58 AM

This product will have little if any effect on iMac and eMac sales. The products serve different markets and few consumers interested in an Apple product will consider this offering as an alternative.<br><br>At the price point touted, one needs to question the quality of the components. Further, having served at the technology director and instructor at a prep school that deals specifically with kids who have trouble learning in traditional education settings, I can speak first hand of the benefits of Macs. Each student at the school is required to have a laptop. I had to adminster both Macs and Windows laptops and boxes.<br><br>Outside of a simple home set-up, Windows users need XP Pro in order to use any kind of modern networking set-up. In terms of volume sales of this product to schools, large enterprises, etc, adding the cost of XP Pro greatly diminishes any perceived cost advantage compared to a Mac which comes with sophisiticated networking features built into Mac OS X.<br><br>If the makers of this product are targeting potential Mac buyers, they are making a big mistake. They'd have more success IMHO competing in the lower-end of the market with Gateway and local "white box" makers.<br><br>At their current price levels, the eMac and iMac are the best value buys (I didn't say cheapest) for consumers looking to take advantage of mulitimedia functionality for amateur or hobby-level work.<br><br>I've worked with Apple's iApps in a classroom environment. Windows users adapt to the iApps on a Mac as quickly as Mac users adapt to them. There is no better teaching tool available for early mulitmedia instruction than the software that comes bundled on every Mac.<br><br>There's no way this product will compete well against a Mac. The makers will have better success if they position the product to compete with offerings from other discount PC makers.<br><br>

Re: eMac, iMac killer is here! - 07/27/02 01:22 PM

Welcome, and thanks for the great post!<br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"
Posted by: Mike

Re: eMac, iMac killer is here! - 07/27/02 01:43 PM

There are better WinTel machines out there that could be considered "e/iMac Killers"; this one just looks a bit different. <br>And -speaking of looks- its design isn't all that appealing....<br><br>[color:red] Therapy is expensive. Poppin' bubbles is cheap. You choose! </font color=red>
Posted by: snag

snicker - 07/27/02 03:20 PM

<br><br>

Re: eMac, iMac killer is here! - 07/27/02 08:37 PM

Yup. I just went and looked at it for the first time and it IS NOT that good looking. I can't explain why but I think of a toaster when I see it. BUT EVEN STILL.... Windoze/Mac there is NO way i'd ever switch back!<br><br>Peace, Late, Skate<br><br>~Steve~

Re: eMac, iMac killer is here! - 07/28/02 07:48 AM

I don't look for a new computer based on looks. Maybe cars, clothes, women, but not computers.<br><br>

Re: eMac, iMac killer is here! - 07/28/02 08:22 AM

If you cared to read any of the above posts...the majority of us were talking about the ease of use and all of the OS. <br><br>