New iMacs ?!?

Posted by: johnengler

New iMacs ?!? - 06/01/01 06:42 PM

Got this link from MacAddict's forums:<br><br>http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_electronics/avpc/default.asp<br><br>who got it from MOSR I think...<br><br>Looks like what people are saying the new iMac's might look like, but they're not from Apple and don't run the Mac OS... interesting<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: New iMacs ?!? - 06/01/01 07:49 PM

Interesting indeed... stylish, but very un-Apple like. The lines are not clean enough to be Apple--it looks like they tried too hard.<br><br>Whatever the next iMac design is, you can bet it will be revolutionary. I'm thinking of something along the lines of the 20th Anniversary... the TiG4 proves that looks sell--imagine if you could buy a 20th Anniversary styled iMac for $1000? <br><br>Still, I must admit I'm looking more forward to the next revision of the Tower. I'm really curious how they manage to make it better, or if they simply swap the plastics and trim some of the fat. <br><br>

Re: New iMacs ?!? - 06/01/01 08:51 PM

Regarding the "desktop" machines... I think Apple might do either of two things:<br><br>1. "change the plastics" - like you say, but really make the design easier to expand. Perhaps they add another AGP slot, so you can have two AGP video cards? Perhaps they will make the tower a little more stable. It's a pretty solid design, so it's hard to improve. As you say "change the plastics" is probably the way that this will go...<br><br>2. "trim the fat" - I'd really like to see Apple bring back the "pizza box" sized machines. Little expansion (who needs it with 80Gb drives?) available, but plenty of power, and a classic look... the idea of the cube, without the price tag that's associated. also, a "thin flat" computer is easier to store than a cube. Looks aren't everything... Sometime deskspace/realestate is just as important... this the reason to have a "flat" enclosure with a little bit of expansion (maybe via a seperate add on enclosure that can sit under the desk?) so that it is a "pro" box... but not the pricetag of the cubes....<br><br><br>who knows...<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2

Desktop (versus Tower) Macs - 06/02/01 07:28 AM

I've always preferred the so-called "desktop" ("pizza-box") design. Because I have two monitors, and have used two for ten years, I have always preferred the space-saving virtues of the desktop; one of the monitors goes on top. Someone says, "Why don't you put the computer under your desk?"; my reply is, "Then where do I put the big laser printer?" With all the stuff I have attached, space is really an issue. Being able to stack equipment helps a lot.<br><br>John<br><br>

Re: Desktop (versus Tower) Macs - 06/02/01 07:46 AM

That's a very good point, John, but with Apple's all-LCD display lineup, it would look silly to have this thin-display propped on top of a much deeper case, no?<br><br>I've also been a fan of the thin towers. Think PlayStation 2 in the vertical configuration.<br><br>Not to mention that such a configuration actually takes up *less* space than a Cube... At 8x8, the Cube has a surface area of 64 sq-in. If you have a slim tower that's 3x15, that's only 45 sq-in. And I know no one who values the "vertical" space on their desktop (this isn't Manhattan), and on top of all that, you still can't place anything on top of the Cube.<br><br>

Re: Desktop (versus Tower) Macs - 06/02/01 01:03 PM

Well, with an LCD display and a thinner tower, one could situate the tower behind the display and fill about the same space or less than a regular CRT. Which will be fine on that day when LCD's are as inexpensive and as colour-accurate as CRT's.<br><br>Admittedly, a skinny LCD display would look kinda goofy on top of a pizza box desktop but it might not be so bad if the form facter were smaller. I can see a time when a "desktop" computer consists of a box not much larger than a portable connected to an LCD display and a separate keyboard. At that point, practically the only difference between a desktop computer and a portable will lie in the size of the keyboard and display.<br><br>John<br><br>

Re: Desktop (versus Tower) Macs - 06/02/01 07:51 PM

Misha... you and I are thinking alike ... that's exactly what I was thinking about....<br><br>it would be pretty cool.<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2

Re: Desktop (versus Tower) Macs - 06/02/01 07:54 PM

Actually John, I think a "portable' by that time will be a "roll up" type of computer, or a truly small, foldable computer... sort of like a Palm... with a fold up display, or something like that... then again, the portable will need to have some support to it, so that you can use it on your lap, etc....<br><br>I think that a portable will always be a "all in one" design that you can take with you, but a "desktop" will always be an expandable, seperated type of design.<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2

Foldable, Yes; Rollable, No - 06/03/01 06:56 AM

If by "rollup" you mean some kind of membrane thing with a "touchboard" instead of a keyboard, I can't see that going over very well. I dunno about you, but I remember such efforts as the Sinclair computer and the flat fingertips it created.<br><br>On the other hand, there are some interesting display technologies coming along which may make today's "ultra thin" displays look fat & chunky by comparison.<br><br>John<br><br>
Posted by: scaught

Re: Foldable, Yes; Rollable, No - 06/03/01 08:04 AM

aargh. we used to have an atari 400 back in the day. it had a membrane keyboard that was just miserable. i think i had carpal tunnels syndrome at like 9 years old. typing in all those basic programs from magazines. ugh.<br><br>
Posted by: bdog

Re: New iMacs ?!? - 06/03/01 09:22 PM

I like how they copied the old style keyboard of the older iMacs. Small keyboard = crappy keyboard!!<br><br>-- John Bailey (Bdog)