user permissions not permitting

Posted by: Anonymous

user permissions not permitting - 06/10/02 12:46 PM

finally upgraded to OS X the day that 10.1.5 was released. very impressed with the OS until today...i installed Photoshop 7 and it successfully launched one time, after that the program would give me an error message upon launch stating that i did not have user priviledges to run the program....I also cannot delete ANYTHING from the boot disk...."not enough user prviledges"...so i created a new user with admin box checked and now i am even more handicapped, under the new admin user i cannot even add fonts to the fonts folder....is there anyway that i can make myself something above admin..."god user" possibly, it seems that admin accounts are quite handicapped. thanks...<br><br><br>
Posted by: MacGuru

Re: user permissions not permitting - 06/10/02 02:15 PM

You will have to enable the root user in order to do this open up "Netinfo manager" from the "Utilities" folder in "Applications". When open go to the sub menu "Security" in the "Domain" menu and select authenticate and enter an admin shortname and password. Then select enable root user from the same sub menu and then set the root password from the same menu. <br><br>Then go into the system preferences and onto the login pane and either select "name and password entry fields" for display type or select "show "other user" in list for network users". Then log out and log in as "root" using the password you have set. The root user is the super user in Unix and can change anything and do alot of damage so be carefull!<br><br><br><br><br>Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.<br>-- Immanuel Kant, "Critique of Pure Reason
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: user permissions not permitting - 06/10/02 03:40 PM

The root user is the super user in Unix and can change anything and do alot of damage so be carefull!<br><br><br>This last sentence cannot be overstated!<br><br>
Posted by: sean

Re: user permissions not permitting - 06/11/02 08:08 AM

THIS IS PATHETIC APPLE!!!!!<br><br> do you remember when mac OS was the EASY OS? oh, the price we pay for innovation. <br><br>FIND A WAY TO GET THIS RIGHT APPLE!!!!!<br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue>

Re: user permissions not permitting - 06/11/02 10:59 AM

OS X Addict: i was operating from the root user when attempting to modify the boot disk, and with no luck....COULDNT EVEN DELETE OR ADD A F#$%*N FONT!@!@!!!<br><br>now I am willing to tackle with the complexity of unix to have a world class operating system on my desk, i think it is unfortunate that certain things that were previously so simple and ubiquitous are now beyond the grasp of the genius and wits of a Professor of Basketology<br><br>
Posted by: MacGuru

Re: user permissions not permitting - 06/11/02 11:37 AM

That is very odd, the root user should be able to edit anything on any volume.<br><br><br><br><br>Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.<br>-- Immanuel Kant, "Critique of Pure Reason

Re: user permissions not permitting - 06/11/02 12:34 PM

and another thing.....i can't even print from X, for example....i use freehand 10 on a daily basis and in order to print a FH10 file, i must export the file as version 9, then launch v9 under classic, being that only classic sees the laser printer...i spent hours in the printer settings in X but to no avail. the driver was there but the printer was not. go figure.<br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: user permissions not permitting - 06/11/02 02:58 PM

That is strange that you couldn't edit anything while under Root.<br><br>I know this sounds drastic, but perhaps a clean install? I just did one this past weekend to get rid of junk that I had downloaded and to clean it up. Plus I was bored <br><br><br><br>Oh yeah..forgot. In 10.2, when you do Show Info, you can change permissions there. Trust me, you'll like it!