Shutdown

Posted by: NeilMac

Shutdown - 05/30/01 06:28 AM

The Apple Pro keyboard may not have a power button for easy access to the Shutdown/Restart window in 9.1 but there's a simple keystroke; Control-Eject.<br><br>Summer has arrived in the UK…<br><br>
Posted by: TreeBeard

Re: Shutdown - 05/30/01 12:10 PM

that's cool<br> My 'puter has a shutdown key but I also have made a script that restarts the computer and while it does it it trashes itself, empties the trash and reinstates itself at startup but only after it finishes rearranging my desktop icons.. the reason for trashing and reinstating itself is that I have more than one system partition. I located an icon alias on the desktop for easy access and with my intellimouse it is just right click on it and watch the icons jump all over the place.... ah I love My PowerMac <br><br>..

Re: Shutdown - 05/30/01 12:35 PM

Hi Treeman<br><br>Contact with a Journeyman. I'm beginning to feel at home and all is well… Applescript is something I must start palying with.<br><br>
Posted by: bdog

Re: Shutdown - 06/03/01 09:07 PM

also, you can use "option-command-eject" for sleep, but I prefer control-eject then just hitting the "s" key!!<br><br>-- John Bailey (Bdog)
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Shutdown - 06/04/01 01:42 AM

General tip:<br><br>Apple-Shift-O to sleep. I hate it. Hit it accidentally all the time :\<br><br>I refuse to use a keyboard without a power key... they were completely idiotic to remove it...<br><br>Cipher13<br><br>
Posted by: johnengler

Re: Shutdown - 06/04/01 05:00 AM

heh...<br><br>I'm still a "special" menu type of guy (maybe I should have ridden the "special" bus to school?)<br><br>I've never used the power button on my keyboard for anything but starting my computer... I now have a larger keyboard (upgraded to the pro keyboard from my original 1998 bondi keybaord - new keybaords are so much more reponsive, though the old Bondi was very nice still, after 3 years of beating it up) and it's great. I don't need the power button at all, and don't miss it... then again there is one on the front of my computer, so I'm cool with it instead...<br><br><br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Shutdown - 06/04/01 01:59 PM

I must be the only one who likes the small design of the iMac keyboard... I mean, the Pro feels nice, but this one is just nicer. I miss a couple of the keys, but there are alternatives.<br><br>My equal favourite keyboard with this one is the Apple ADB Extended (the black one) ;)<br><br>Cipher13<br><br>

Re: Shutdown - 06/04/01 07:56 PM

I like the small size of the old bondi keyboard, yes... I do, but... the upgrade came at the right time, and at the right place... plus, my wife like the new "del" key <br><br><br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2

Re: Shutdown - 06/04/01 08:05 PM

OMFG, I can't get enough of that "del" key (forward delete, it's great!!! Now, we just need to wait until EVERY application supports it, especially ResEdit [super resedit in my case])<br><br>-- John Bailey (Bdog)

Re: Shutdown - 06/05/01 01:42 PM

I use an extended Apple ABD k'board at work -- they really keep us up-to-date -- and love it but an extended board for my iMac at home is a must. I use the mouse with the left hand (there are a few of use around!) and need the Alt/Control keys to the right of the space bar. The page up/page down keys also get a bashing as the scroll wheel on the mouse (MacAlly) doesn't work in QuarkXpress, the main app I use -- another bloody journo. I adore the feel of the Pro k'board and it works without a hitch plugged into the (powered) hub. I just wish Apple would admit that a single click mouse is less than useless in this day and age and produce one with two-buttons + scroll wheel. Apart from wonderfully neat industrial design -- we'll quietly forget that ergonomic nightmare that was the 'puck' mouse -- Apple products have a 'quality' feel. The MacAlly iOptimouse works extremely well but I would still rather have an Apple one; at a sensible price. <br><br>

Re: Shutdown - 06/05/01 06:29 PM

If quark is going to charge someone $700 for one application, the LEAST they could do is have it be appearence manager compliant! I mean, COME ON!<br><br>-- John Bailey (Bdog)

Re: USB keyboard - 06/05/01 09:14 PM

Neil, welcome to the forums....<br><br>I'd have to agree with you that having he extra keys to the right of the space bar is quite useful... in addition, I really like the fact that the "sound" controls work on the USb keyboard with my old Rev/A iMac. I really love this thing...<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2