Changing file helpers in Safari

Posted by: Anonymous

Changing file helpers in Safari - 09/06/03 11:15 AM

Whenever I click on certain Real Player links with Safari, the .rm file opens in GraphicConverter (which obviously reports an error with the file). The Safari preference dialog doesn't have an option to change it. The Real Player preferences didn't help when I unchecked and rechecked its options.<br><br>Any ideas?<br><br>
Posted by: squareman

Re: Changing file helpers in Safari - 09/06/03 11:21 AM

Yeah, I'd like to know an Apple way to do it too. There is no Internet Config for OS X. However, you can still access Internet Configurations through Explorer—it's the only reason I keep it around. Go to Explorer's prefs and you can change file helpers there (and what it's editing is your systems preferences so it should work for Safari too).<br><br><pre>** sometimes you win, and sometimes you learn **</pre><p>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Changing file helpers in Safari - 09/06/03 12:19 PM

Don't know if this will help with the .rm downloads, but it can't hurt to try. Go to the infomration window for one of the .rm files, and in the "Open With" option, select RealPlayer.<br><br>edit: forgot to add that you should then click the "Changee all" button.<br><br> Alas, poor Yorick. -- Hamlet<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by yoyo52 on 09/06/03 03:20 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: Lori

Re: Changing file helpers in Safari - 09/06/03 03:01 PM

there is a third part application available that will do that...and for the life of me I can't remember the name of it.<br>Let me go check versiontracker...I'l be right back.<br><br>I found it.<br>Vince<br><br><br>My Stuff<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Lori on 09/06/03 06:15 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Changing file helpers in Safari - 09/06/03 09:20 PM

I was looking for "MoreInternet" that I found back when OSX 10.0 was released and couldn't find it listed anywhere... then I noticed that "Vince" IS MoreInternet only renamed. If it's the same as MoreInternet was, it works great!<br><br><br>[color:green]Trying to straddle the fence leaves you with nothing but sore balls.</font color=green>
Posted by: Lori

Re: Changing file helpers in Safari - 09/07/03 06:02 AM

that's what I was searching for too...except that I couldn't remember the name. Now that you mentioned it, that is the name..and I forgot it...hahaha<br><br><br>My Stuff
Posted by: hayesk

Re: Changing file helpers in Safari - 09/07/03 07:22 AM

Select the .rm file in the Finder. Choose Get Info from the file menu. Under the "Open With..." section, choose RealPlayer and click "Change All..."<br><br>

Re: Changing file helpers in Safari - 09/07/03 09:10 AM

I think I hear an echo <br><br>Even though I suggested the same thing, I don't think that will help. The problem is with the app that Safari uses to open the .rm file, and I don't think that the Info window route changes that at all. It would be neat if that did in fact work, though. I wonder if JThree could try that before downloading Lori's app, just to see if it would work. Report back, too!<br><br> Alas, poor Yorick. -- Hamlet
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Changing file helpers in Safari - 09/07/03 04:17 PM

Changing the helper in Internet Explorer and Vince didn't work. However, the Get Info idea worked perfectly (after I did the "change all" option - without that it didn't work). <br><br>Thanks for the help once again!<br><br>

Re: Changing file helpers in Safari - 09/07/03 05:11 PM

Who woulda thunk it!<br><br> Alas, poor Yorick. -- Hamlet