MS Word problem

Posted by: Anonymous

MS Word problem - 05/09/02 03:26 PM

I'm using MS Word for OS X and am having just a small problem. The option to "send as attachment" under the File menu is dim. I've set my default mail program in System Preferences according to the Word Help file, but it's still dim. Any ideas? I need to be able to use this feature instead of attaching files from within the e-mail program (which by the way is Eudora).<br><br>
Posted by: johnengler

Re: MS Word problem - 05/11/02 07:02 AM

ronbelisle,<br><br>after you restart your Mac, open your System pref and let me know if your "default mail program" is Entourage or "Mail". Do you own Word for X or the full Office Suite?<br><br><br><br>simplex veri sigillum<br>

Re: MS Word problem - 05/11/02 07:07 AM

Thaks for your reponse. In the Internet setttings of the System Preferences, the default e-mail reader is Eudora which is the e-mail program I'm using. I have Office OS X installed which has all the Office suite installed. It's the latest version. Still can't figure this one out.<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: MS Word problem - 05/11/02 01:26 PM

I think John is hinting that it's only via Entourage that the email utility works. Now, I don't know that for a fact, but I'm using Entourage as default, and the send email works fine.<br><br>And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Re: MS Word problem - 05/11/02 06:18 PM

yoyo... that's what I'm hinting at... I personally don't use the feature, as it's easier for me to drop into Entourage and just attach what I want to... but I'd assume that since Office X is just carbonized, not Cocoa, it can't really use all of the systemwide features that it should be able to...<br><br>I'd assume that the send via email menu item only works with Entourage, and I'd recommend you move off of Eudora, but that's really just a personal prefence. I have no other reason to recommend Entourage over Eudora, except that even after years of being a Eudora fan, I've been sold on Entourage like you wouldn't believe.<br><br>Try making Entourage your client in the system prefs (I know you're having problems with it... I'll reply to that other post in a sec) and see if the menu item works.<br><br><br>simplex veri sigillum<br>

Re: MS Word problem - 05/12/02 12:15 PM

I've given up on Eudora for X, John. That sounds like I think Entourage is a second best, but actually I don't. I really like what I can do with Entourage.<br><br>And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Re: MS Word problem - 05/12/02 02:37 PM

yeah, I dropped Eudora a good two years ago I think... haven't looked back since... though, Mailsmith keeps piquing, my interest. I really need to check it out someday... <br><br><br><br>Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.<br>-- Aaron Levenstein

Re: MS Word problem - 05/13/02 08:36 PM

FYI, downloading Mailsmith right now... I'm tired of Entourage crashing today... I think perchance I have too much mail in Entourage, as I've heard it has a limit to the amount of mail it can handle... and I really don't feel like troubleshooting tonight.<br><br><br><br>Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.<br>-- Aaron Levenstein
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: MS Word problem - 05/13/02 11:43 PM

I have over 1200 emails stored in Entourage and haven't had any problems. I like/liked Entourage because of the extensive address book features, and the simplicity of the E-mail portion of the app. However, it really is overkill for what I need. I don't use the reminders, calendar, to-do lists or any of the other features.<br><br>With OSX 10.2 coming out and the brand new email and address book apps, I'm thinking I may make the switch to Apple's built in apps. They just seem easier to work with, and it's one less thing to troubleshoot.<br><br>I tried Mailsmith a few weeks back... it's a decent enough app, but felt somewhat "windows-ported" to me. I mean, it did everything it said it would, but I just felt like someone put an Apple GUI on top of Windows. Not very intuitive... but that's just my opinion. Kinda funny, I was looking around for a replacement for Entourage... and Apple pipes in with their new offerings. Perfect timing again!<br><br>Best of luck with whichever app you choose.<br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>

Re: MS Word problem - 05/14/02 12:44 AM

giz...<br><br>I wonder if you're a BBEdit user or not? If you were, you'd think Mailsmith was heaven-sent. I've been using it for maybe all of 2 hours, and I love it thus far.<br><br>oh, and I think I have about 8000 messages in Entourage, 1200 contacts, and way too much other crap... I'm a junkie and probably should clean a lot of that crap out, but i just haven't gotten around to it.<br><br>I don't use the calendar at home, and don't need all the contact information as I'm starting to build my contact information into a webaccessable DB, so I don't have to remember anything but my own website's address... once that's complete, then I don't care where I am, I can generally get to my contacts (even if the batteries on my palm die).<br><br><br>Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.<br>-- Aaron Levenstein
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: MS Word problem - 05/14/02 08:47 AM

Nope... not a BBEdit user... but I'm glad to hear you found an app that works more to your liking.<br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>

Re: MS Word problem - 05/20/02 07:20 AM

Can't migrate from Eudora. I have hundred of filters and client mailboxes that are active and absolutely necessary for my business.<br><br>

Re: MS Word problem - 05/20/02 08:21 AM

There's an import command under the File menu in Entourage, and it gives you options for importing from Eudora. Is it not functioning for you?<br><br>An alternative, and I know this is awkward, is to go into Outlook Express while youre booted into 9, import the Eudora stuff into OE, then boot into X and import the same stuff into Entourage.<br><br>Good luck!<br><br>And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Re: MS Word problem - 05/20/02 08:40 AM

Don't wish to migrate to Entourage. I've got hundred of filters and client mailboxes in Eudora. The filters won't transfer according to the Entourage documentation and the mailboxes are iffy.<br><br>

Re: MS Word problem - 05/20/02 09:13 AM

Sorry, I misunderstood your previous post (that's what I get for not rereading the whole thread )<br><br>And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Re: MS Word problem - 05/20/02 03:25 PM

ron,<br><br>I'll say this. To tie yourself to one application, one OS, one anything is asking for a problem. You then have one point of failure, and when it fails, you're backed into a corner... and you won't know what to do.<br><br>That being said:<br><br>I'd like to look at this issue on my Mac, but the tech support folks have it in the shop at work. I'll check on it again from home.<br><br>John<br><br><br><br>Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.<br>-- Aaron Levenstein

Re: MS Word problem - 05/20/02 07:18 PM

What's wrong with your Mac, John?<br><br>And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Re: MS Word problem - 05/21/02 05:36 AM

nothing is wrong with my Mac at work. The tech support guys are considering buying my Art department a host of new G4s. But they're considering buying them with Superdrives and then stealing those drives out of the Macs to use as DVD Burners for their back up system... (they're cheaper in a Mac than they are off the shelf) so they borrowed my Mac for a couple of days to run some tests... like pulling out the superdrive, to make sure that it would work in a PC... then replacing the Superrdrive with a 52x CD readers, and the like...<br><br>should be back any day, just hope they didn't break it...<br><br>I hate cheap, and this is the ultimate version of cheap (though it can be the ulitmate version of "fiscally responsible" depending on how you look at it).<br><br>Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.<br>-- Aaron Levenstein

Re: MS Word problem - 05/21/02 05:43 AM

ron,<br><br>I've been able to determine that the "send to... mail recipient" option works fine with Apple's Mail application and Entourage, but not with Mailsmith from BBEdit, so I'm thinking that it's something special that MS's Mac BU did to get it to work.<br><br>I'd like to research this a little more and see if i can't get some more answers.<br><br>John<br><br>Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.<br>-- Aaron Levenstein

Re: MS Word problem - 05/21/02 06:47 AM

Cheap or fiscally responsible--what a choice! <br><br>And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear