Compaq Laptops give the Ti a run for its $$$

Posted by: johnengler

Compaq Laptops give the Ti a run for its $$$ - 05/28/01 06:56 PM

http://www.compaq.com/newsroom/presspaq/052101/visioneering.html<br><br>What gives? Is everyone going to always copy Apple's design, with a few of their own mods?<br><br>Even the bottom most pictures are reminiscent of the Newtons....<br><br>Sheesh.... like Compaq can make a good laptop that isn't hot as hell and heavy to boot...<br><br>***<br>"Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people." -John Adams<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by johnengler on 05/28/01 09:56 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Compaq Laptops give the Ti a run for its $$$ - 05/28/01 09:05 PM

Just wait till the windoze folks start copying the Apple Store layout. You're right, though, John--if copying is the sincerest form of flattery, then windoze box makers are trying to flatter Apple to death.<br><br>And that's true too/--Shakespeare, King Lear

Re: Compaq Laptops give the Ti a run for its $$$ - 05/29/01 04:51 AM

true, but it's not flattery I'm worried about, it's loss of potential revenue......<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2
Posted by: NeilMac

Re: Compaq Laptops give the Ti a run for its $$$ - 05/30/01 12:51 PM

…even at the basic software end of Windoze. Is it my imagination or does Media Player 7 look somewhat familiar?<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Compaq Laptops give the Ti a run for its $$$ - 05/30/01 03:58 PM

Windoze copying Apple? you must be taking the XP.<br><br>I really do still think that digital watches are a good idea....

Re: Compaq Laptops give the Ti a run for its $$$ - 05/30/01 06:44 PM

I guess the key quote I can reference on this subject is "why spend money on r&d when we can copy our competitors?" - an old unnamed boss of mine....<br><br>Sound like M$ to you?<br><br>Or anyother manufacturer for that matter?<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2

Speaking of which - 05/30/01 08:21 PM

XP stands for experience. And what has MS learned from their XP? That copying Apple is a good way to do business.<br><br>you are not your signature
Posted by: Alex

Re: Compaq Laptops give the Ti a run for its $$$ - 05/30/01 08:30 PM

Yeah, everyone follows Apple, but someone has to make these things work. I mean, look at the market now: everyone's catching on to wireless/Airport (e.g. Toshiba in a big way); flat-panel all-in-one desktop units are trying to make headway (Compaq, NEC - it's just been too expensive to catch on until now); many companies are (still/again) playing with tablet designs (Dell, even M$); modular stuff has been thrown around for years (RIP Tandem, frogdesign's early-90s Apple mockups) but never really happened; voice recognition is only now beoming usable (Dragon, IBM - but they aren't at the OS level).<br><br>So Apple has the ideas first. But what's their execution like? Does the industry perceive that Apple actually does "think different" if it doesn't release anything like this? The iBook and TiBook, amazing as they are, are still both laptops after all. The iMac, though, wasn't exactly a first - a desktop all-in-one - but provided enough of a technological and stylistic milestone (USB, no floppy, and some actual thought put into the design!) for others to be scrambling to catch up.<br><br>I think Apple really are delivering technology that "just works", and "thinks like I do" (Mac OS 8.6 and AppleWorks 5 are still my pick!). And I can see where the "digital lifestyle hub" may be heading. I just want Apple to get there before the competition does, because they'll do it best anyway!<br><br>For example, iTunes in concept (Rip, Mix, Burn - hehehe!) is pretty simple, but it's in the slick execution (for a v1.0) that Apple outshines. iMovie, iDVD, even AppleWorks - all simple, smooth products. All we need is good voicemail, fax, videoconferencing and graphics apps rolled into the Apple consumer suite and - well, all I could say is wow! Because Apple has at least two things going for it: simplicity and style. (And then, the grunt to really power the professional stuff.) And if anyone can pull that kind of concept into reality, it's Apple. It just involves a little more "thinking different".<br><br>I wasn't planning on this post being so long - God help me (more to the point, God help you!) if I ever get offered any sort of editorial column!

Re: Compaq Laptops give the Ti a run for its $$$ - 05/30/01 08:41 PM

well, you do need some sort of help if you're not using Mac OS 9.1... it kicks 8.6 around like a redheaded stepchild... there's just no comparison whatsoever, 9.1 is faster and stabler<br><br>~~~<br>"Our civil rights have no dependence upon our religious opinions more than our opinions in physics or geometry." --Thomas Jefferson

Re: Compaq Laptops give the Ti a run for its $$$ - 05/30/01 08:57 PM

I would be if I had the $$$$ - just got married a few months ago ya know!! hehehe But I'll probably wait until 10.1 with 9.2 in the box as well... or would anyone like to donate to the "Starving Just-Married 8.6-Using Guy Foundation"?? <br><br>The point being, it's easy to look back and say "yeah, they're copying so-and-so" but a lot harder to say "wow, that IS different!" - or even "wow, THAT'S a new way of looking at it!" Personally, I love a new idea if it makes things better, no matter where it's come from. (can you say MacBU even?)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Alex on 05/31/01 00:18 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Compaq Laptops give the Ti a run for its $$$ - 05/30/01 09:32 PM

Congratulations on your wedding! I've been married for 21 years now and highly recommend the married state <br><br>And that's true too/--Shakespeare, King Lear

Re: Compaq Laptops give the Ti a run for its $$$ - 05/30/01 09:56 PM

which one is the married state? would that be the 51st? (or the 52nd?? heh heh)<br><br>~~~<br>"Our civil rights have no dependence upon our religious opinions more than our opinions in physics or geometry." --Thomas Jefferson

Re: Compaq Laptops give the Ti a run for its $$$ - 05/30/01 10:09 PM

Anyone who may be confused, see the AOL thread for our thoughts on the 51st state... and thanks yoyo!

Re: Apple's focus - 05/30/01 10:16 PM

Alex, et al.<br><br>In my opinion, Apple has a good enough hold on the consumer and graphics market... where it's losing precious ground is the business world... (maybe it's already lost it totally).<br><br>For example, my company has 200 installed workstation computers, and probably 10 server (file servers only) in house....<br><br>Why are they using M$ Windows and not Mac OS?<br><br>Price to buy. bottom line.<br><br>They can put a computer in front of me with 128MB of RAM, Windows NT, MS Office and Outlook (very helpful for scheduling and email) a 633 MHz Pentium (who care what kind) and a Hard Drive big enough for business uses (Word Processing, some DB work, and Excel) with a 17" monitor for like $600 tops... <br><br>so why in the hell would they even look at the intro Mac for $899/$799 without Office, Outlook or that much RAM (which was a neccessity for the Mac OS until X, and even then it's still a neccessity)<br><br>And, now that they've installed those 200 machines, and gotten used to the "corporate wide" and have hired three tech guys to take care of them... what IT department that only supports NT will recommend Macs?<br><br>It's a lose/lose situation.<br><br>My problem is that I'm much more productive on a Mac... they're solution? learn windows faster...<br><br>sucks huh? Apple needs to be in business...<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2

Enterprise: an article - 05/30/01 10:40 PM

have a gander<br><br>~~~<br>"Our civil rights have no dependence upon our religious opinions more than our opinions in physics or geometry." --Thomas Jefferson

Re: Enterprise: an article - 05/30/01 10:59 PM

I didn't say Enterprise solutions... my company is in fact looking at WebObjects for a web application server environment (it runs on Windows though believe it or not) <br><br>It's the hardware (and thus the OS) that cost too much for businesses....<br><br>John<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2

Re: Enterprise: an article - 05/30/01 11:06 PM

and i didn't say anything... i posted an URL heh heh<br><br>~~~<br>"Our civil rights have no dependence upon our religious opinions more than our opinions in physics or geometry." --Thomas Jefferson

Re: Apple's focus - 05/30/01 11:19 PM

Definitely right John, with two sides to the story too. A business will ignore TCO, training, uptime, usability... and just look at the price tag. While at the same time Apple looks at business and says (kind of childishly) "we don't care anyway". I think deep down they do, it's just a question of what to do about it.<br><br>But also, it's a public perception thing. One of my bosses, when I proposed a custom Word (98 Mac Edition) template I've built as a solution to a particular issue we were working on, got very confused, wondering how on earth I could make, let alone give her, a Word template if I didn't have Windows... sad huh?! (No comments about using Word to solve problems either please - I know, I know...)

Re: Apple's focus - 05/30/01 11:22 PM

yep... the logic of it all.....<br><br>I could exound on the stupidity of companies all day, but then someone could do the same for me easily.... couldn't they nycdewd?<br><br>John<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2

Re: Apple's focus - 05/30/01 11:25 PM

stupid? no. misguided? certainly! (all in fun, all in fun... but with a bit of concerted intention nonetheless)<br><br>~~~<br>"Our civil rights have no dependence upon our religious opinions more than our opinions in physics or geometry." --Thomas Jefferson

Re: Apple's focus - 05/30/01 11:26 PM

besides... hindsight is always 20/20, or in your case nycdewd better than 20/20 <br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2

Re: Apple's focus - 05/30/01 11:32 PM

the late great Satchel Paige said: "Don't look back, there might be someone gainin' on ya"... words to live by!<br><br>~~~<br>"Our civil rights have no dependence upon our religious opinions more than our opinions in physics or geometry." --Thomas Jefferson