Mac OS X Section?

Posted by: StanFlack

Mac OS X Section? - 05/28/01 04:18 PM

How do you folks feel about a Mac OS X section to MacMinute? That is to say, a page that shows Mac OS X items only -- in addition to the main news page?<br><br>Warm regards,<br><br>Stan<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Mac OS X Section? - 05/28/01 04:54 PM

bring it on!<br><br>
Posted by: Alex

Re: Mac OS X Section? - 05/28/01 05:29 PM

Not so sure... pretty soon (by July if Steve has his way!) everything will be about Mac OS X in some measure. Maybe an icon flagging the type of each news item (Classic, X, press release, bug/fix, industry, other...) would be more appropriate than a separate section?<br><br>
Posted by: johnengler

Re: Mac OS X Section? - 05/28/01 06:04 PM

Stan, <br><br>In my opinion, it should all be featured on the same page... I mean, Mac Os X news is Mac news right? and Mac OS <9 is Mac news too right? <br><br>Don't make us go to another section just to reda OS X stuff... put it all in front of us....<br><br>Otherwise, from my point of view, it just looks like you're trying to inflate page views.....<br><br>But at the same time, I understand the arguments that if someone wants only OS X news, don't make em wade through stuff....<br><br>Perhaps something like "categories" of news, that a user could "select" when registering for "myMacMinute"... and then, if registered, they get a cookie set....<br><br>Then when they visit MacMinute.com, your servers read the cookie, if present, and show the corresponding categories that that user is looking for....<br><br>Just an idea...<br><br><br><br>***<br>"Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people." -John Adams

Re: Mac OS X Section? - 05/28/01 06:14 PM

from my experience as a moderator and admin of a forum (which shall go unnamed here... at least, unnamed by me) it is far better to organize by separation, at least to a point. and i am certain that Stan will be able to discern the point at which a new section of the fora is or is not needed when or if it should be suggested to him that a new section be created. that said, should he think that a new section is needed, he's likely right.<br><br>i know, i know... hard to believe that a yapper like me could've moderated and administered AND contributed heavily with solid info to one of the biggest/most popular forums for Mac-users... in fact, i played no small part in making that forum grow in size and reputation while also having started one of the biggest Mac SETI teams out there... right, John Engler? heh heh... ok, i am done stuffing my shirt now. heh heh<br><br>

Re: Mac OS X Section? - 05/28/01 06:28 PM

nycdewd, I think you missed Stan's point... he was asking if we thought there should be a MacOS X news page... not a MacOS X forum...<br><br>Should there be a seperate forum for Mac OS X? IMO, yes... a seperate news page? not in my opinion.<br><br>John<br><br>***<br>"Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people." -John Adams

Re: Mac OS X Section? - 05/28/01 06:42 PM

Agree with John... giving each news item a category (or categories!) and then a preference for the user of what they want to show/hide/prioritise sounds like a winner to me.<br><br>
Posted by: adot

Re: Mac OS X Section? - 05/28/01 06:47 PM

Stan, that would be a welcome addition for early adopters of OS X. The section would be a time saver for me not having to read OS 9 related news items. <br>adot<br><br>"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him<br>to hold in higher regard those who think alike<br>than those who think differently."<br>(Nietzsche) <br><br><br>

Re: Mac OS X Section? - 05/28/01 06:59 PM

in which case, John E, i still think an X page is a good idea... and i know someone who could edit it, too! (not me, btw)<br><br>~~~<br>"Our civil rights have no dependence upon our religious opinions..." Jefferson

Re: Mac OS X Section? - 05/28/01 07:46 PM

Seperate forum: yes.<br>Seperate news: no.<br><br>News should be covered in the one page, perhaps with different headline colours for OSX as opposed to OS9.<br><br>News on two seperate pages is a pain - a news page is a summary of events, and therefore it should all be contained in the one page - the forum is for more extensive discussion and hence should be seperate for OS9 and OSX, as with the articles themselves being seperate from everything else (if the headlines lead to articles, that is).<br><br>IMnshO...<br><br>Cipher13<br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Cipher13 on 05/29/01 04:17 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Mac OS X Section? - 05/28/01 08:57 PM

I agree with Cipher--all the news that fits . Could you have an anchor to an X section on the same page with all the other news, Stan?<br><br><br>But a separate forum would be a good idea.<br><br>And that's true too/--Shakespeare, King Lear

Re: Mac OS X Section? - 05/29/01 02:14 AM

Thanks for all of the feedback guys. One of the staffers here suggested it and I was just wondering what the members thought about the idea. I really like the idea of keeping the main news page complete with a flag for OS X related items, and then maybe having a separate page for those who want [color:red]only</font color=red> Mac OS X news. I couldn't care less about the page views -- I just want to make it convenient for you guys.<br><br>Let me give it some more thought and we'll get right on it.<br><br>By the way, the Mac OS X forum is due, so I will add that right now. I just didn't want to add too many categories until we made sure the forum system was working well. That's why you will see us add more and more a piece at a time.<br><br>Thanks again for the ideas and comments!<br><br>Cheers,<br><br>Stan<br><br>

Re: Mac OS X Section? - 05/29/01 04:26 PM

Gotta say, it's exciting to watch (and be part of?!) a "baby" news/discussion site being born and developing! I look forward to each time I'm on the net again...!<br><br>I think the first 100 forum members could be considered "founding fathers" (and mothers) even, but maybe I'm going too far there... <br><br>

Re: Mac OS X Section? - 05/29/01 05:31 PM

I agree Alex, fun and exciting....<br><br>***<br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br> -- Ecclesiastes 10:2
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Mac OS X Section? - 05/30/01 08:36 PM

I'm glad there is an OSX section..thanks!! <br><br>

Re: Mac OS X Section? - 05/31/01 01:36 AM

You got it!! <br><br>Stan<br><br>

Re: Mac OS X Section? - 05/31/01 01:38 AM

Seriously, I am thinking something like that. We can do groups with this software, so maybe we could have a special group for the first hundred... <br><br>Ya never know... <br><br>Cheers,<br><br>Stan<br><br>