Installing new OS

Posted by: drjohn

Installing new OS - 04/29/16 06:01 PM

Iím thinking about upgrading my OS to El Capitan. I presently have an early 2009 24-inch iMac running 10.9.5. Can I install El Capitan directly, skipping Yosemite?
Posted by: Reboot

Re: Installing new OS - 04/30/16 02:41 AM

Apple won't let you download Yosemite anyway, they always make you do the latest. Even if you're on 10.6.8, it's straight to El Capitan. They know best, huh.

How much RAM in it. Without an SSD El Capitan slows up older machines.

Unless 10.9.5 isn't doing something you need stay with it. I'd look into replacing the HD with an SSD before going any farther. An SSD breathes new life into old machines. It speeds up those Core 2 Duo machines by a factor of 3 or so. It's a lot cheaper than a new machine.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Installing new OS - 04/30/16 03:20 AM

Yeah. What Reboot said. Not even maxed out RAM helps that much.
I'm not sure what benefits El Capitan has to offer on older machines.
Posted by: drjohn

Re: Installing new OS - 04/30/16 02:46 PM

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll leave well enough alone.
Posted by: Stumpy1

Re: Installing new OS - 05/04/16 09:43 AM

I'm going to switch to Yosemite pretty soon.

I'm using 10.8.5 on my late 2013 Mini. I'm starting to get web sites telling me they don't support the version of Safari I have.

I'll have to deal with any slow-downs. Hoping the i7 chip and 4G ram will be adequate.

Re: Installing new OS - 05/04/16 11:28 AM

Mavericks would take you up to the latest Safari, but unless you've already downloaded that or Yosemite on some machine, you'll have to go to El Capitan. I wouldn't recommend Yosemite anyway.

That i7 should handle everything fine BTW. You might want to put 8 gigs of RAM in it, you can get it for about $40 shipped from Crucial.

Re: Installing new OS - 05/06/16 01:42 AM

I apologize, Reboot, I mis-spoke. I meant El Capitan.

Can I put 8 Gigs in this machine? Guess I'll have to check out what's available in ram for this machine.

Thanks for the info!

Re: Installing new OS - 05/06/16 05:51 AM

I think you meant late 2012 mini? It can go up to 16 gigs of RAM. A 16G kit is around $62, 8G around $40.

Re: Installing new OS - 05/07/16 12:51 AM

It is a late 2012. Man, time flies! blush

Re: Installing new OS - 05/15/16 04:36 PM

My plan is to pull the trigger on El Capitan next Saturday.

Any recommendations on clean install vs. installing over the current O.S.?

Thanks!

Re: Installing new OS - 05/19/16 11:38 AM

I would try installing right over first, if it seems like it's running slow or doesn't work well then you can wipe it and do a clean install and migrate everything back either manually or using migration assistant.

Re: Installing new OS - 05/19/16 11:36 PM

Thanks!

Re: Installing new OS - 06/21/16 11:23 AM

It's been about a month since installing El Capitan.

Most of the changes I've gotten used to - the pre-set tabs for Safari, for example.

Not used to the cheesy appearance of the control buttons on the upper-left-hand corner of windows. No three-dimensionality as there used to be.

Some things are slower, but some are faster, so no problem.

The best characteristic of the new OS is that it handles Flash content far better. I don't have to re-boot as often as in the olden days of 10.8.

Not too bad. smile
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Installing new OS - 06/21/16 08:22 PM

Quote:
The best characteristic of the new OS is that it handles Flash content far better.

That's gold in itself.

Re: Installing new OS - 06/21/16 10:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Stumpy1
The best characteristic of the new OS is that it handles Flash content far better. I don't have to re-boot as often as in the olden days of 10.8.
It's probably using HTML5 rather than Flash when it can.

Re: Installing new OS - 06/23/16 11:26 AM

Quote:
That's gold in itself.

Truer words were never spoken. smile

Re: Installing new OS - 06/23/16 11:28 AM

Quote:
It's probably using HTML5 rather than Flash when it can.

Isn't it great!?! laugh

I'm actually kind of looking forward to the next release. Can't remember the name. Knowing how much Cook loves Trump and vice-versa, I don't suppose it will be called "Atlantic City." grin
Posted by: Nana

Re: Installing new OS - 06/24/16 09:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Stumpy1
It's been about a month since installing El Capitan.

Most of the changes I've gotten used to - the pre-set tabs for Safari, for example.

Not used to the cheesy appearance of the control buttons on the upper-left-hand corner of windows. No three-dimensionality as there used to be.

Some things are slower, but some are faster, so no problem.

Not too bad. smile

I still have not bitten the bullet yet. Still using Yosemite & loving it meaning never any issues. Have no intention of moving on up to El Capitan. I try not to mess w/what ain't broken don't fix it motto.
Seems like Apple now is coming out w/OS upgrades a little too fast for my taste - once the OS gets to .05, Apple presents an OS upgrade.

Re: Installing new OS - 06/25/16 11:34 PM

I was not so lucky with Mountain Lion. Had to re-boot often when using certain web sites.

Hardly ever with El Capitan, so far.

You are in a blissful state when you have no need to upgrade. Continued blessings to you. smile

Re: Installing new OS - 06/26/16 02:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Nana
I still have not bitten the bullet yet. Still using Yosemite & loving it meaning never any issues. Have no intention of moving on up to El Capitan. I try not to mess w/what ain't broken don't fix it motto.
Exactly. Plus if you think Yosemite is flat and boring, wait till you see El. Butt ugly. El's newer and better right? But if it ain't broke don't fix it. laugh

I have to go between both. For my main boot drive I'm still on Mavericks. It's a Filemaker Pro/Filemaker Server version/El Capitan incompatibility thing. I have a data base I need to access remotely quite a few times a day that is stuck on Server 13 due to upgrades needed on the Client computers.

blah blah blah blah blah blah

Right?

grin