OS X Font management

Posted by: Acumowchek

OS X Font management - 02/11/16 02:43 AM

How do I prevent apps (I'm looking at you, Adobe & Apple) from installing all the foreign language fonts every time I update? I don't want 'em, I don't need them, and I'm tired of having them in my font menus. mad
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: OS X Font management - 02/11/16 11:03 AM

http://macpaw.com/how-to/delete-language-files-from-mac-osx

Re: OS X Font management - 02/11/16 11:08 AM

Also, Cocktail is a great utility app and has the option to remove languages. It's $20.00

Re: OS X Font management - 02/11/16 11:10 AM

When unregistered, Cocktail runs in demo mode and will expire after the tenth launch. If you like your Cocktail, please purchase the license from our resellers, Kagi or eSellerate.

http://www.maintain.se/cocktail/
Posted by: Reboot

Re: OS X Font management - 02/11/16 01:26 PM

I don't recommend doing that. Using those programs has been known to fubar the system. I also don't think it's going to solve his problem.

It also doesn't really save that much disk space. I would bet it would only trim it by 3 gigs or so.

Re: OS X Font management - 02/11/16 01:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Acumowchek
How do I prevent apps (I'm looking at you, Adobe & Apple) from installing all the foreign language fonts every time I update? I don't want 'em, I don't need them, and I'm tired of having them in my font menus. mad
Do you mean the Asian fonts?

Read this before messing with fonts. They have a downloadable PDF for OS X.

Re: OS X Font management - 02/11/16 02:41 PM

Yes, I meant fonts only, not the Package Resource files.
I'm kinda OCD when it comes to font management, and I like a clean machine. HD space has nothing to do with it.

So many Asian fonts are now "System" fonts, that require authorization, and it becomes a pain to get rid of them. Seems like after every update or upgrade, they are all reinstalled.

Re: OS X Font management - 02/11/16 03:35 PM

Read that Font management guide. Some of those fonts should not be removed because the system needs them to display certain characters, glyphs etc. Also if you remove the wrong fonts you can kill the system.

It puts them at the bottom of the fonts list anyway so just ignore them. smile

Re: OS X Font management - 02/11/16 03:43 PM

Quote:
so just ignore them.

NEVER! cry grin

Re: OS X Font management - 02/11/16 06:10 PM

So using Cocktail is going to screw things up?
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: OS X Font management - 02/11/16 06:47 PM

Quote:
It also doesn't really save that much disk space. I would bet it would only trim it by 3 gigs or so.

"only 3 gigs or so" ... Jeebus that makes me feel old ...

Re: OS X Font management - 02/11/16 07:50 PM

laugh Yep!

Re: OS X Font management - 02/11/16 07:52 PM

Quote:

I use Onyx for maintenance/placebo.

Re: OS X Font management - 02/11/16 08:43 PM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
If you don't watch what you're doing. Things like removing languages.

You can take this however you all want, I'm not a know it all though I act like one. Cocktail has a lot of buttons to click and stuff, but I never do any of that sht as routine maintenance, only troubleshooting.

The other things it offers, meh. The OS takes care of itself. The only thing I may do every 6 months or so is clean my caches. I can't remember the last time I even did it.

http://www.northernsoftworks.com/elcapitancachecleaner.html

It has some possibly handy, and some possibly dangerous stuff. In Interface for example, I've heard where showing invisible files then hiding doesn't alway hide them all again for instance. Also if one doesn't know what they're doing you should stay away from things like that.

Re: OS X Font management - 02/11/16 08:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Acumowchek
Quote:
I use Onyx for maintenance/placebo.
That's all it is, a placebo, that can screw things up if you're not careful. laugh

Re: OS X Font management - 02/11/16 08:50 PM

Yeah, but my placebo is free! grin

Re: OS X Font management - 02/11/16 08:54 PM

Yeah, I only use it as a troubleshooting tool. I could schedule it... but for what? Hardly ever have issues with the OS.
OTOH... too late. I fired off Cocktail this morning to delete all those languages. Everything except English. I may have to reinstall the OS. We'll see. Live-n-Learn.

Re: OS X Font management - 02/11/16 08:59 PM

Originally Posted By: six_of_one
"only 3 gigs or so" ... Jeebus that makes me feel old ...
Yuppers, I remember the whopping 4 gig internal SCSI HD I got for my 7100 to replace the 250 M, close to $500.

Re: OS X Font management - 02/11/16 09:03 PM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
Yeah, I only use it as a troubleshooting tool. I could schedule it... but for what? Hardly ever have issues with the OS.
OTOH... too late. I fired off Cocktail this morning to delete all those languages. Everything except English. I may have to reinstall the OS. We'll see. Live-n-Learn.
And you're afraid of Terminal, you should be terrified of Cocktail then. laugh

Some apps rely on all languages. Worse case you just reinstall the OS, it won't change any data files.

How much disk space did it "recover"

Re: OS X Font management - 02/11/16 09:56 PM

I used to use Multilingual to get rid of unnecessary Package languages, but HD's are so large now, I don't bother. It did save a good 6+ GB's though.

Re: OS X Font management - 02/11/16 09:56 PM

Didn't check.. it wasn't about disk space. I have a fresh install on (2) 1 TB Samsung EVO SSDs. Plenty of room.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: OS X Font management - 03/15/16 07:51 PM

One of the things I love about Suitcase Fusion is that it allows me to set which fonts I want to see in font menus. The Asian fonts that I have no need for but can't get rid of, I just set to not show up. Boom!

Re: OS X Font management - 03/16/16 01:27 AM

Well... now ya speak up!
Good to know. I have Fusion and will note that.

Re: OS X Font management - 03/16/16 02:54 AM

Yeah, I guess I should bite the bullet and get a professional font management program.
Dammit. wink