AppleCentral

Time to upgrade to Mavericks

Posted By: NucleusG4

Time to upgrade to Mavericks - 02/10/15 01:36 AM

Weird happenings on my two computer with Snow Leopard. This was on my home mac pro.
Attempting to quick look a doc resulted in this crash. Quark wasn't even running.

Posted By: Reboot

Re: Time to upgrade to Mavericks - 02/10/15 02:37 AM

Was it a Quark doc? It looks like it's using the Quark ql(quick look)generator for QuickLook.

Re: Time to upgrade to Mavericks - 02/10/15 06:00 AM

Fairly sure it wasn't anything quark related. I was digging into my old TM and pulling a few things off to get it ready to wipe the drive.
Maybe a permissions thing since it asked for password every time I pulled anything off.
Posted By: MacGizmo

Re: Time to upgrade to Mavericks - 02/10/15 04:21 PM

According to the log file you posted, it's the Quark Quick Look Generator plug-in that's crashing. Remove that plug-in and it'll stop crashing. Of course, you won't be able to QL the files anymore, but...

Re: Time to upgrade to Mavericks - 02/10/15 05:10 PM

Quote:
Fairly sure it wasn't anything quark related.

I think it was because all the files on that external were having a permissions issue. I had to ok every file to get it to copy to my boot drive. When I QL'ed it it spazzed.
Also.. I know it wasn't a Quark file per se... perhaps a pdf generated by Quark tho.
Jim splained to me a Q PDF may still want the plug in.

Re: Time to upgrade to Mavericks - 02/11/15 04:46 PM

You're most likely correct that it has nothing to do with Quark (the application) or the Quark documents. It's the Quick Look Plugin that allow you to preview Quark docs in the Finder.

Quick Look in general is kinda funny—which is to say that other than text files and flat image files, it absolutely sucks. I've had files that previewed just fine using QL in the morning, then in the afternoon the same file shows nothing in the QL preview window. And it seems that with every OS update, it changes (usually for the worse).

In your case, I would guess that the Quark QL generator plugin is buggy, or simply not compatible with whichever OS version you're running.

Re: Time to upgrade to Mavericks - 02/11/15 05:02 PM

I guess I'm not explaining it very well. The reason I posted it here was that I was quite surprised to see the report name the Quark plug in as the culprit. The file, to my recollection, had nothing to do with Quark. When asked what file it was... I'm at a loss to remember now. A veeery small possibility that it was a PDF generated from Quark... but I doubt it.

Quote:
I've had files that previewed just fine using QL in the morning, then in the afternoon the same file shows nothing in the QL preview window.

I can't remember that ever happening on my machines... but then I'm still on SL.
Mavericks very soon. cool

Re: Time to upgrade to Mavericks - 02/19/15 04:15 PM

I used to use a utility called ArtView - which added QuickLook previews for InDesign files (along with Illustrator and Photoshop) that not only showed the preview image, but a list of fonts used in the document, colors, plates, images placed, etc.

It worked great for a while. Then all of a sudden, it just stopped working completely. All the QuickLook previews were just blank.

My point is, QuickLook is buggy when additional plugins and alterations/hacks are installed or applied. QL Plugins are buggy as well. They work. Then they don't work. Then they work again. It's enough to drive you mad. Your particular problem may not be related to Quark documents at all. But QuickLooking any document invokes all the QuickLook plugins at once, so it crashes QL regardless of the document.

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Re: Time to upgrade to Mavericks - 02/20/15 03:06 AM

OK. Now that makes sense. Thanks.
I guess it invokes all of them since it doesn't initially know what i's looking at.

Re: Time to upgrade to Mavericks - 02/23/15 04:16 PM

Apple recommends that you delete all your files and only use apps and documents that it pre-installs with a fresh OS—though they don't guarantee a perfectly smooth user experience anyway. wink

Re: Time to upgrade to Mavericks - 02/24/15 02:51 AM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
I'm at a loss to remember now. A veeery small possibility that it was a PDF generated from Quark... but I doubt it.
No, but Apple uses the embedded PDFs for QuickLook. I didn't 'splain that part.
Posted By: 5657023

Re: Time to upgrade to Mavericks - 02/21/16 09:08 PM

This kind of on topic but my Mac Mini rejects being upgraded past 10.6.8. It's got a Core 2 Duo which I've read is upgradeable but no luck. Have only tried Yosemite, is there a way around this like a hack to fool upgrades into thinking it is upgradeable? thanks
Posted By: Acumowchek

Re: Time to upgrade to Mavericks - 02/21/16 10:15 PM

Do you have enough RAM?

Re: Time to upgrade to Mavericks - 02/22/16 02:52 AM

What's the Model Identifier? 2,1 or 3,1? 2,1 only goes to Lion.
© 2020 AppleCentral Forums