10.2.6 Dock

Posted by: siletz

10.2.6 Dock - 07/21/03 12:25 PM

Yseterday my dock starte acting crazy. Ror no reason it will disapear and refuse to reapear and then show up for a minute or two. When I go to the apple menu and acess the dock it shows "turn hiding on" which means hiding is off. I am not able to change this no matter what I do. Going to the HD for every item is getting old. Any heolp would be greatly appreciated.<br><br>933 MHz, 17" lcd
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: 10.2.6 Dock - 07/21/03 12:26 PM

Try throwing away the dock.app.plist file from your prefs folder. That may do the trick.<br><br>

Re: 10.2.6 Dock - 07/21/03 12:55 PM

I could not trash the doxk prefs because it is owned by root. I logged out and back into my other home and checked the dock and it was working fine. I then logged back into my main home folder and now my dock worked as it should for a few moments. Hopefully it will behave. Oops! Spoke to soon there it goes again.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>933 MHz, 17" lcd
Posted by: greenme1

Re: 10.2.6 Dock - 07/21/03 01:01 PM

Did you go to your Home folder, then Library, then Preferences to delete it? That shouldn't be owned by Root, just the library folder on your HD.<br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: 10.2.6 Dock - 07/21/03 01:01 PM

You can login as root to trash it or delete it using the terminal. If you don't know how to do that, then just use a free app that does the same thing, like this one.<br><br>
Posted by: iraszl

Re: 10.2.6 Dock - 07/21/03 01:16 PM

How do I log in as root?<br><br>

Re: 10.2.6 Dock - 07/21/03 01:21 PM

Yep! found it in my home folder, I didn't think it would be there but it cured the ploblem. Thanks guys<br><br>933 MHz, 17" lcd
Posted by: Trog

Re: 10.2.6 Dock - 07/21/03 01:59 PM

I think its an account that is always present but Apple has hidden it for protection purposes. You just have to re-enable it. Here's a few ways, from OSX hints below. Once you've enabled it you can have it show up in your login window by selecting "list of users" in the Accounts preference pane. Then you can login is god and do whatever you want.<br><br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>The \"root\" user (also known as the superuser) is the most powerful UNIX account. The root account can do anything to any file or folder, anywhere on the system. For that reason, it's considered quite dangerous, and only needs to be used (occasionally) by advanced users. <br> <br> Because of the dangers of operating as root, Apple has chosen to hide the root account in OS X Final. However, there are a number of ways to enable it. The easiest is to boot off the install CD, and look under the Install menu for the \"Password Reset\" option. You can use this to change your own password if you forget it, and to enable the root account. This utility will not run if you copy it to your hard drive! It only works when booting from the CD. <br> <br> Read the rest if you'd like to know how to do this from within OS X, and skip the CD-based reboot.<br><br>The second easiest way to enable root is to start a terminal session, and type:<br>sudo passwd root<br>You will be prompted for a new password to enable root access. Many find this easier than rebooting, but since it involves the command line, newcomers may find it a bit more intimidating. <br> <br> The hardest way to enable root is to use the Netinfo Manager application (in Applications/Utilities). Here's what you do, courtesy of \"anonymous\": <br> <br> 1) Open NetInfo Manager <br> 2) Select \"Users\" from the second list. <br> 3) Select a user you created andnd know the password for! <br> 4) Double-click on the value across from \"passwd\" and copy it. It is the encoded form of the password for that user. <br> 5) Select \"root\" from the list of users. Find the \"passwd\" value (default is \"*\") and paste over it. <br> 6) Exit Netinfo Manager. <br> 7) Open the Terminal and type \"su root\". <br> 8) Enter the password for the user chosen above.<br><p><hr></blockquote><p>
Posted by: iraszl

Re: 10.2.6 Dock - 07/21/03 02:23 PM

thanks a lot, i tried the last option and seemed to be working.<br><br>i thought there is a way to create a root account, so that i could logout from my user (with the blue apple drop down menu) and login to a root account.<br><br>i wanted to use the GUI instead of the terminal window for operations that can only be done by a root account.<br><br>
Posted by: nutty

Re: 10.2.6 Dock - 07/21/03 02:58 PM

log out <br><br>go to other account<br><br><br>type root as user<br><br>type admin password<br><br>