Adobe be wheelin' & dealin'!

Posted by: steveg

Adobe be wheelin' & dealin'! - 06/06/14 02:35 PM

My first year's subscription to CC expires next month and I've been bracing myself for the jump from the introductory rate of $19.99/mo to $49.99/mo. But today I got an email from Adobe offering me a renewal rate of $29.99 for the next year. BOOM! cool
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Adobe be wheelin' & dealin'! - 06/06/14 03:19 PM

Hmm, are they not getting the response they had hoped? I have been receiving emails from them about the $29 upgrade offer ending May 30, but on their site it's still available. Now they are giving the same to existing CC customers.

http://www.adobe.com/ca/products/creativecloud/buying-guide.html

Re: Adobe be wheelin' & dealin'! - 06/06/14 03:22 PM

Me no give krap why dey do dis. Me only know me just saved samolians. laugh
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Adobe be wheelin' & dealin'! - 06/06/14 04:29 PM

Hmm -- I also got an e-mail saying the offer was only good from May 7 to May 21, 2014 and you had to call them to get it. Was this e-mail different?

Anyways, I was too scatterbrained busy to pick up a phone and withstand what undoubtedly would have been some sort of sales call, so I guess we'll see what happens. As of now, I'm still paying the $19.95/month. I think the rate hike kicks-in in July, though, for those of us early adopters ...
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Adobe be wheelin' & dealin'! - 06/06/14 06:36 PM

If I sign up, I need CC available on 3 computers.
Work, Home and MacMini (My "portable" computer).
Is that possible? From what I've read, it's only two allowed.
I'm only starting to get files from clients that I can't open, mostly Illustrator.

Re: Adobe be wheelin' & dealin'! - 06/06/14 07:06 PM

Only 2.

Re: Adobe be wheelin' & dealin'! - 06/06/14 07:21 PM

Even if I only use one computer at a time? That's why I don't like subscription software. Work is mandatory, and I don't like, or can afford, laptops. Besides, all the stuff I own is fairly resent. They should not be obsolete because of having to "rent" software. If I'm renting it, and all my devices are under one name/user, why should they care? /rant

Re: Adobe be wheelin' & dealin'! - 06/07/14 03:03 AM

The email came out of the blue yesterday, and yes, I had to call to accept the offer. Quite surprisingly, it only took five minutes. The only downside — and it's pretty minor — is that in order to get the discount, my current subscript had to be cancelled and a new one started immediately, which meant I lost the last month of my $19.99 rate. On the other hand, Adobe had previously given me two one-month extensions because of some problems during the first few months. So really, I came out a month ahead on the deal.

Re: Adobe be wheelin' & dealin'! - 06/07/14 06:07 PM

Hmmm ... just looked-up my account and it says it just renewed and has 11 months to go at $19.95 per ...

whistle whistles innocently whistle

We'll see ...

Re: Adobe be wheelin' & dealin'! - 06/09/14 05:51 AM

As usual, Adobe's customer support is as confusing as it is inconsistent. My account page shows the new subscription (at $29.99/mo) and indicates that the old one has been discontinued. But I got an email from them this AM telling me that my original subscription will auto-renew at $49.99/mo starting in July. WTF???

Customer service is not at all up to the level of the product. And it's literally impossible to reach a stateside rep.

Re: Adobe be wheelin' & dealin'! - 06/18/14 04:32 PM

Whoa! A whole new suite of CC apps — all with the prefix 2014. Some welcome changes and huge speed increases. The updater installs the 2014 versions and leaves the previous CC versions in place (I deleted the old once I made sure I migrated all necessary presets, plugins, actions, and PPDs).

Nice!

Re: Adobe be wheelin' & dealin'! - 06/18/14 06:05 PM

Interesting they didn't just update the existing CC ... I guess there are enough under-the-hood changes to warrant a whole new app ...

Re: Adobe be wheelin' & dealin'! - 06/18/14 07:55 PM

CC is the first version I didn't buy on release.
I'm only now getting files I can't open with CS6.
Time to talk to the boss…
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Adobe be wheelin' & dealin'! - 06/18/14 10:09 PM

Favorite features so far: InDesign's "Package for Output" now includes a down saved IDML file and a PDF with the preset of your choosing... all with one click! And the ability to group color swatches into folders in the color panel. FINALLY!

All is not great though. My two favorite extensions for Photoshop don't work, and Suitcase Fusion hasn't been updated yet.

Re: Adobe be wheelin' & dealin'! - 06/19/14 03:22 PM

From the Extensis site:
Quote:
Extensis Font Manager Compatibility
We are currently putting the final touches on Adobe CC 2014 compatible plug-ins and panels for the current versions of Extensis font managers, Suitcase Fusion 5 and Universal Type Server 4. Expect free updates for these versions in the coming weeks.

Re: Adobe be wheelin' & dealin'! - 06/20/14 08:51 PM

Yeah, they let me know on Twitter later that day. And the GuideGuide plugin has already been updated - which I'm very happy about.

Re: Adobe be wheelin' & dealin'! - 06/21/14 03:03 AM

So far, the only thing that appears to have been broken is the Color Logic plugin and preset for Photoshop, and I emailed CL's support team a/b it. But no probs with Ai and ID.

Re: Adobe be wheelin' & dealin'! - 06/21/14 07:09 AM

Coolorus is awaiting update as well. I haven't used it, but it looks very interesting to me. I hate Apple & Adobe's color picker, so I'm willing to try anything. I already use Skala Color, but I wouldn't mind trying something else.

Re: Adobe be wheelin' & dealin'! - 06/21/14 08:27 AM

The thing you have to keep in mind with Color-Logic is that it's a system of special inks that go with the swatches, and you have to be working with a Color-Logic printer shop. Their site has a list/map of authorized printers around the country.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Adobe be wheelin' & dealin'! - 06/21/14 02:08 PM

Hey guys. My print shop isn't on that list... but I have my studio right in the middle of a 95,000 sq ft printing facility that is family owned and been around for over 40 years.
We have a KBA, Heidelberg and a Komori press. Also a nice big Xerox digital and some smaller digital printers. If you ever need a quote on something I sell printing too. Mail house, spiral binding and so on.

Unfortunately they don't have a whiz bang website, which we have been after them for about 4 years now to update... but w/e.

www.cpi2.com

COPYING/DIGITAL PRINTING

NEW XEROX 1000 with Gloss Varnish Feature
6-KONICA MINOLTA-High Speed BW Digital Presses/With Inline Finishers and new LED technology
1-KONICA MINOLTA 650 Digital Color Press
1-KONICA MINOLTA C70HC Digital Color Press
2-Ricoh Aficio 850
PRINTING

NEW Komori LS540 SP 10-Color 5/5 40"
KBA 28" x 40" 5 color Perfector With Coater
Heidelberg SpeedMaster 28x40 6-color with coater
Heidelberg Printmaster
HALM 2 Color Envelope Jet Press
HALM 2 Color SUPER Jet Press (X-large format)
Didde 1/1 or 2/0 14x17
FINISHING

***New 3-Loop Sticher for Binders
3 Bourg Collators
45" POLAR Computerized Cutter (2)
APS Shrinkwrapper
Baum Folder
Brackett Automatic Padder
Challenge EH-3A Drill
GBC 111PM-2C
Heidelberg Letterpress
MBO 1824 Folder
MBO 26" x 40" Continuous feed Folder
MBO B-16 17 x 26 Folder
MULLER-MARTINI Inserter, StitcherTrimmer (2)
Sun Business Card Slitter

Re: Adobe be wheelin' & dealin'! - 06/21/14 02:11 PM

Oh yeah? Well, take that! tongue grin
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Adobe be wheelin' & dealin'! - 06/22/14 06:36 AM

Hmmm.. was meaning to step on any toes. I thought you guys were more ad and marketing. Didn't realize you were print too.

Re: Adobe be wheelin' & dealin'! - 06/22/14 07:55 AM

You've got it backwards. Think Patented is first and foremost a commercial printer. But with the addition of several unique digital printing processes — like large format (on virtually any substrate up to 8' x 20'), Kodak Nexpress, Color Logic — web development and IS, DM services and database management, plus promotional items, we've begun to reposition ourselves as a "Marketing Execution" company.

A lot of our customers are area ad agencies, and a lot of those peeps and I know each other. So we can't give the appearance of competing with them — which is why my title does not include the word, "creative". I will be leading creative services for customers without an agency engagement, and for our own marketing/advertising purposes, of course.

And you're not stepping on anyones toes — until we start marketing aggressively in other parts of the country. grin

Re: Adobe be wheelin' & dealin'! - 06/22/14 10:02 AM

Looking through what Think Patented does it seems you print anything, except letterpress? Or do you have a Windmill back in the corner. smirk

Re: Adobe be wheelin' & dealin'! - 06/22/14 10:25 AM

Wow, that's a big shop, nice equipment too. I used to go in to more design/print shops, to repair mainly pre-press equipment. When digital came on the scene it killed the majority of small printers, or more like many killed themselves. Any shops that didn't adapt fell by the wayside, but those that invested in the new tech early enough in the game assimilated them and grew.

My market has totally changed so I enjoy getting the occasional chance to go in to a bigger shop and see what the latest and greatest is.

Been a long time since I heard Didde. smile

Re: Adobe be wheelin' & dealin'! - 06/22/14 01:28 PM

Shhhhhh… We keep Gutenberg in a supply closet and let him out after midnight for the really big jobs.. eek

Re: Adobe be wheelin' & dealin'! - 06/29/14 03:01 AM

So it seems that the new Pshop only supports html-based extensions and panels, and at present, Color Logic is still Flash-based. I spoke to CL support yesterday, and they are working on an update, but no release date known yet.