Mail problem

Posted by: drjohn

Mail problem - 05/28/14 08:23 AM

In a moment of weakness I installed Mavericks...and now have to go to iCloud (which I haven't used and don't want to use) to get my mail. How do I get my mail delivered to Mail on my computer like it did before Maverick? frown
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Mail problem - 05/28/14 08:40 AM

Hey John,
if you haven't used iCloud, then not sure why you are going to iCloud?

I'm not sure when, maybe with Mavericks, Apple moved the way you set up email to the System Preferences.

So open System Prefs, then Internet Accounts, and then choose the email that you used before (Yahoo, Google, etc)

if you used .Mac or .Me, I *think* they moved it all to iCloud. If I recall correctly, I think it's the same username/password as your old email address.

Re: Mail problem - 05/28/14 08:44 AM

From Apple:

If you created an iCloud account on or after September 19, 2012, your email address ends with @icloud.com. Learn more about @icloud.com mail addresses.

If you created an iCloud account before September 19, 2012, or moved to iCloud with an active MobileMe account before August 1, 2012, you have both @me.com and @icloud.com email addresses.

If you had a working @mac.com email address as of July 9, 2008, kept your MobileMe account active, and moved to iCloud before August 1, 2012, you can use @icloud.com, @me.com, and @mac.com email addresses with your iCloud account.

In each case, you can sign in to iCloud with either your @icloud.com email address or the Apple ID that you use with your iCloud account.

Re: Mail problem - 05/28/14 08:46 AM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
Hey John,
I'm not sure when, maybe with Mavericks, Apple moved the way you set up email to the System Preferences.

So open System Prefs, then Internet Accounts, and then choose the email that you used before (Yahoo, Google, etc)

Re-reading your post, I think your issue is not getting your email in your Mail application, correct?

If so, then the above applies. Once you select your provider, then it should walk you through setting it up.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Mail problem - 05/28/14 09:33 AM

I've been in iCloud for a while, drjohn, but still get my mail via Mail.app. Just open Mail.app, go to Preferences, and in the Accounts tab, type in the relevant information. Just make sure that you've checked the Make account active box.
Posted by: drjohn

Re: Mail problem - 05/28/14 10:07 AM

Thanks, Al. I'm not sure how I managed that but it worked.

Re: Mail problem - 05/28/14 10:17 AM

You can add other accounts if you have them as well. And if you use more than one computer/phone/iPad, the iCloud approach makes life really easy because the mail shows up in all of the devices. But be careful, because if you delete a message in one device, then it gets deleted from the others as well. On the other hand, if you move the message from the in box to some other folder in one device, it moves in all the devices. I used to be leery of iCloud--until I started using it!
Posted by: steveg

Re: Mail problem - 05/29/14 02:26 AM

Quote:
like it did before Maverick?
Simple. Restore Mt. Lion. smirk

Welcome to the Jobsless era of Apple. frown

I'm hearing from a lot of people now that the key to 10.9 is a clean install of everything. 'Nuther words, people buying new Macs with Mav already installed are having far fewer problems. It's upgrades with third party apps already installed where most of the heartache is coming from. I'm not budging 'til at least the .5 update now, and then it'll be a total HD wipe and fresh start.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Mail problem - 05/29/14 08:30 PM

Good gawd - it rained outside. I'm not going outside until mid summer, when I'm certain there's no chance of rain. tongue

Re: Mail problem - 05/29/14 08:48 PM

Better out- than inside.

Re: Mail problem - 05/30/14 04:50 AM

Well, running the latest Mavericks on a upgrade install here on my 2008 iMac with nary a problem.

You might want to wait for 10.10 wink laugh