PS CS 6 slow saving files

Posted by: NucleusG4

PS CS 6 slow saving files - 03/28/14 11:14 AM

OK.. I know it's not my imagination. After years of developing a rhythm to saving and closing files via keyboard strokes... I find myself waiting for CS6 to finish saving. Sometimes a ridiculously long time.

Any ideas?
Is it the auto save feature that's slowing things down?
I don't think it's my drive since it responds well to other files reading and writing.
I have alternate scratch disk enabled.. aydda yadda.
Posted by: steveg

Re: PS CS 6 slow saving files - 03/28/14 11:32 AM

What kinds of files? I know that png's take a wee bit longer to save that tifs or jpgs or psds.

Re: PS CS 6 slow saving files - 03/28/14 11:35 AM

Was just converting flattened psd to pdf... one file hung for 20 seconds.

That's the worst case scenario...

Re: PS CS 6 slow saving files - 03/28/14 12:10 PM

I just saved a 85mb psd to pdf in less than 4 sec. Now consider that I have an ssd, so that's probably half the time a conventional HD would take. When you say "hangs", are you getting a beach ball or are you referring to the progress bar at the bottom left of the app window?

Re: PS CS 6 slow saving files - 03/28/14 12:16 PM

Blue progress bar at bottom of image.. sometimes it creeps across.

Re: PS CS 6 slow saving files - 03/28/14 12:30 PM

Ok, so how big is these files, how many layers, CMYK or RGB? Have you tried flattening before saving as a pdf?

Re: PS CS 6 slow saving files - 03/28/14 01:10 PM

Quote:
Was just converting flattened psd to pdf...

Just an 8x10 @300 PPI
Posted by: Jim_

Re: PS CS 6 slow saving files - 03/28/14 01:16 PM

Found this.

Re: PS CS 6 slow saving files - 03/28/14 01:18 PM

That doesn't seem like a heavy lift. Time for Jim to step in. Or maybe you should sue whoever ya got that software from.

Oh wait… Forget I said that. eek grin tongue
Posted by: Jim_

Re: PS CS 6 slow saving files - 03/28/14 02:32 PM

Will have to look under the hood for sure.

One suggestion is to move anything photoshop related in Users/you/Library/Preferences to the desktop to start with a clean slate. Quit PS first of course. Don't delete them in case you have any special brushes etc, we can move those back in one at a time if that works.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: PS CS 6 slow saving files - 03/28/14 04:58 PM

Saving as a Photoshop PDF is particularly slow under CS6 and CC compared to previous versions. I don't know what the solution is, but I know a LOT of people who've noticed it.

The progress bar sticks at about 2-20% for anywhere between 5-15 seconds, then zooms all the way across in an instant in most cases - but sometimes it does hang for longer.

Saving as a PS PDF is the only time I've noticed any slow-down though. No other file format has issues for me.

Re: PS CS 6 slow saving files - 03/28/14 05:19 PM

Thanks.. thought that might be the case.

Jim... I'll uncheck that and see if it helps. I'm not starving for file space, so I don't need the compression at the moment.

Re: PS CS 6 slow saving files - 03/29/14 03:44 AM

Saving to PDF has never been slow for me — not in CS6 and not in CC. It's saving to png that's been a PIA in both versions. Maybe it's a warm weather thing? wink
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: PS CS 6 slow saving files - 03/30/14 06:00 AM

The compression checkbox has nothing to do with PDF files (though it may speed up saving files in PSD format, particularly ones with large smart objects embedded in them).