Posted by: Swatcat

fsck - 04/23/02 04:45 PM

How often do you fsck your disk?<br><br>This could be da place
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: fsck - 04/23/02 07:06 PM

I have done it only once or twice. <br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: fsck - 04/23/02 07:07 PM

I fsck my disk about once a month, and then run DiskWarrior/PlusOptimizer. ;)<br><br>--<br>I am dangerous. I am Dyslexic of Borg. Fusistance is retile. Your a$$ will be laminated.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: fsck - 04/23/02 09:58 PM

i do it when I think about it and want to reboot. The two things don't happen at the same time very often, though <br><br>And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear
Posted by: JonnyCat

Re: fsck - 04/23/02 10:03 PM

being the paranoid type, i like to fsck my disk after installs (which having used windows for so long, I naturally reboot - those scars will never go away)<br><br>I do a sync from the cli after saving important work, just for the added paranoia, heck, come to think of it I am paranoid, have a UPS, upload data files to a remote server everynight, burn a CD back once a week, and wash my hands after using Internet Explorer.<br><br>[color:red]live free or die</font color=red>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: fsck - 04/24/02 09:34 AM

Haven't run it yet. Does anyone know EXACTLY what it does. I know in theory, but I would like more info before doing it.<br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>
Posted by: sross

Re: fsck - 04/24/02 02:13 PM

Me too. What is FSCKing?<br>No kidding. I don't know wnat it is.<br><br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by sross on 04/24/02 05:57 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: Terry11

Here ya' go... - 04/24/02 03:07 PM

From Griffman's OSX Guidebook:<br><br>"fsck your disks occasionally. Yes, thatís fsck. It stands for file system consistency check, and itís one of the most important UNIX utilities. You may not use it often, and you wonít use it in the normal OS X environment, but you will use it. If you have a crash, itís a very good idea to run fsck on your drives on the next boot. To do this, launch OS X into single-user mode by holding down command-S during the boot cycle. If this works, youíll see a big ugly black screen with white text come into view. Lots of startup messages will go by, and youíll be left at a command line prompt. The instructions are on-screen, but basically, type "fsck -y" (without quotations) and repeat until you get no more reported errors. Once the errors are cleared out, type reboot to restart the machine in the normal OS X Aqua environment. Even if you havenít had a crash in a while, start in single-user mode and run fsck every once and a while; itís good preventative medicine."<br><br>Edit: Should have added to hit 'Return' after typing 'fsck -y' and 'reboot' to activate the command.<br>----------------<br><br>Copy/Paste this for future reference.<br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Terry11 on 04/24/02 06:11 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: Here ya' go... - 04/24/02 03:30 PM

Thanks. I did feel kind of silly not knowing if it was something that everyone knew about but me. <br><br>

Re:FSCK vs. SOX ? - 04/24/02 06:49 PM

I just downloaded System Optimizer X and it seemed to make everything a little snappier. I know they are probably different functions, but I think that someone like me (no system skills) can benefit from being able to push a button and wait rather than write commands.<br>Yep, I am big chicken......buk....buk<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re:FSCK vs. SOX ? - 04/24/02 08:10 PM

System Optimizer does the prebinding that you get after you update some apps, and always when you update an Apple app or the system. It's not the same thing as doing the fsck. It does seem to make things snappier, though!<br><br>edit: redundant repetition of substantive nouns<br><br>And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by yoyo52 on 04/24/02 11:53 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: Here ya' go... - 04/24/02 08:37 PM

Thanks for the tutorial... <br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>
Posted by: johnengler

Re: Here ya' go... - 04/25/02 04:32 PM

big thanks for the tutorial... going to try it now.<br><br>"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." <br>-- Ecclesiastes 10:2
Posted by: margadagio

Re:FSCK vs. SOX ? - 04/26/02 04:24 AM

I'm a big chicken also. I have done the fsck thing a few times with no problem but when it came to prebinding I just didn't want to go there. System Optimizer X is just the ticket for me. <br><br>I hadn't realized how much my system slowed down until I downloaded this app. Everything is WAY snappier now! <br><br><br><br>

Re:FSCK vs. SOX ? - 05/09/02 10:09 AM

It is good to update your prebindings any time you install a new app. Most apps do it for you, but some don't. It does make a little difference, but if you DON'T do it, it kinda stands out after a while.<br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>