Mavericks 10.9.2 update - 02/25/14 12:44 PM

Has been released.
OMG! OMG! OMG!
Posted by: Papa

Re: Mavericks 10.9.2 update - 02/25/14 01:29 PM

You go first.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Mavericks 10.9.2 update - 02/25/14 01:41 PM

Done and done. I can now run faster, jump higher, and eat anything I want without gaining weight.

Recommended! grin
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Mavericks 10.9.2 update - 02/25/14 02:10 PM

Better'n Wheaties?

Re: Mavericks 10.9.2 update - 02/25/14 03:02 PM

Almost as good as PF Flyers!
Posted by: steveg

Re: Mavericks 10.9.2 update - 02/26/14 03:36 AM

Quote:
Fixes an issue that could prevent certain preference panes from opening in System Preferences
This is only one of the many problems I (and many others, according to support pages) encountered with the original release. After the ageda I had a few months ago, I'm going to follow the Apple Support fora for a few months before I try this again. I may even wait for the .3 update. And when I go for it, I'll start with my less frequently used MBP, wipe the drive and do fresh installs of everything — as if it were a new machine. Can't be any more of a PIA than the nightmare I had the first time around.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Mavericks 10.9.2 update - 02/26/14 05:57 AM

When is 10.7.6 coming out? laugh
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Mavericks 10.9.2 update - 02/26/14 09:17 AM

When Mavericks freezes over. grin

Re: Mavericks 10.9.2 update - 02/26/14 09:30 AM

I think I'm going to spring for an SSD to revive my aging mini, then may try going to Mavericks at the .3. I have migrated this system for 6.5 years from 10.5 and a G4 tower, to a MacBook Pro, to a mini. I think it's time to wipe and start over and install my apps on an as needed basis. I looked at my apps, I use about 1/4 of them.

Re: Mavericks 10.9.2 update - 02/26/14 09:48 AM

What I've decided on is getting the Crucial 240G from Amazon for $130 and then getting one of these from OWC. My optical drive is dead anyway, I have an external USB for the rare times I need an optical drive.
Posted by: Papa

Re: Mavericks 10.9.2 update - 02/26/14 10:25 AM

That looks like a very nice combination.

Professional installation is only required for the iMac so you should be good to go. grin

Re: Mavericks 10.9.2 update - 02/26/14 10:36 AM

Cute, go back to bed. smirk

Re: Mavericks 10.9.2 update - 02/26/14 10:49 AM

You're where I am. A good portion of my system was migrated over from my Quicksilver G4 (and Tiger). But I've cleaned out so much unnecessary crap, and I'm still auditing periodically to see what else I don't need.

BTW, you'll love that OWC unit. I'm still loving my 2TB MiniStack.

Re: Mavericks 10.9.2 update - 02/26/14 11:00 AM

And speaking of gadgets, I love the Magic Mouse, but it eats batteries at the rate of a pair every month. So I just got me one of these, and so far, me likey!

Re: Mavericks 10.9.2 update - 02/26/14 12:05 PM

Originally Posted By: steveg
You're where I am. A good portion of my system was migrated over from my Quicksilver G4 (and Tiger). But I've cleaned out so much unnecessary crap, and I'm still auditing periodically to see what else I don't need.

BTW, you'll love that OWC unit. I'm still loving my 2TB MiniStack.
Rather than removing the HD I figured since the optical was hosed I'd add a drive. Now I can have the backup go to the old 500G HD, or down the road use it for more space for files if I find the 240G SSD is not big enough. Might partition the 500 for backup and files.

Too many options, too little time. smile
Posted by: garyW

Re: Mavericks 10.9.2 update - 02/26/14 12:11 PM

That's the Mobee charger? I guess all the negative reviews are from idiots that don't read instructions …. If you likey, me likey. Think I'll give it a try. thxs.

Re: Mavericks 10.9.2 update - 02/26/14 01:47 PM

Well, I'll render a more definitive judgement tomorrow after it's had a full overnight charge. Rather than using a USB port on the Mini or the display, I'm using a USB wall socket adapter, like what the iPhone comes with, so sleep isn't an issue.

When I set it up, the cover did not fit properly, and I had to finagle it a bit, but it's good now. The reviews were mixed, from what I read. So a couple of days use will tell all.

Re: Mavericks 10.9.2 update - 02/26/14 02:15 PM

FaceTime Audio only is pretty slick.
I hate looking at myself. tongue

Re: Mavericks 10.9.2 update - 02/27/14 03:15 AM

So charging overnight (from a wall socket-USB cube) only took me from a 69% charge to 87% — and I powered the mouse off while it charged. It should have reached a full charge.

The instructions say any USB wall adapter will work, and that if you connect to the USB port on the computer or display, it will charge even during sleep. Plus, the battery pack can be charged alone. So I may pop the batteries back into it, and just leave the power pack on the charger for the day and see what happens.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Mavericks 10.9.2 update - 02/27/14 05:38 AM

Get some Sanyo Eneloop rechargeables. I have about 30 in the studio and they are solid.

Re: Mavericks 10.9.2 update - 02/27/14 05:48 AM

Even if I never quite get 100% charge on this battery pack, not having to replace batteries for a very very long time (this is good for a/b 500 charge cycles), it's still saving me money.

I've got the power pack sitting on the charger now and will see what I've got by day's end.

Re: Mavericks 10.9.2 update - 02/27/14 01:17 PM

So charging all last night and most of today, and still not more than 86%. I'll give it a few more days (maybe charge off the display as a test), and then decide if I'll return it or request a replacement.
Posted by: garyW

Re: Mavericks 10.9.2 update - 02/27/14 01:36 PM

Me no likey. I'll look into the Sanyo Eneloop doodad. It's only $18.

Re: Mavericks 10.9.2 update - 02/27/14 02:30 PM

If you get the Eneloops, or any rechargeables, get this charger. it's the bomb.
Check out the reviews.
I have one and am very happy with it.

http://www.amazon.com/La-Crosse-Technolo...ttery+recharger

Or

http://www.amazon.com/La-Crosse-Technolo...ttery+recharger

One comes with some extras that I have not used, but may come in handy some day.

Re: Mavericks 10.9.2 update - 02/27/14 02:31 PM

Sanyo Eneloops have lsd tech and are pretty damn good for repeated charges.

Re: Mavericks 10.9.2 update - 02/28/14 04:18 AM

I just found the following, and it actually explains a lot:

Quote:
Some past reviews complained of:
1. Charger not working properly
2. Battery remaining indicator doesn't report properly in OSX
3. Battery fit and finish is awful and inconsistent
4. Charger base dies an early life
5. Battery falls out
6. Mouse bluetooth connectivity randomly fails

Of these 6 major complains I can say this:
1. Charger MUST not be placed on the aluminum base of the iMac or a metallic surface. The system works by using inductive charging. Metallic surfaces will completely render the charger useless. Place it on a wood desk and it will charge the battery fine.
2. Normal alkaline/lithium AA batteries operate at 1.5 volts/battery. NiMH and Ni-Cad rechargeables are designed to work at 1.2 volts / battery. This 0.3 volts difference in the cells explains why the battery % indicator in OSX doesn't report 100% charge b/c of this voltage difference. Apple SHOULD allow users of OSX to select the type of battery that is installed in their input devices so that the battery % indicator is more representative of what is the actual life instead of basing on the assumption that battery cell voltage is always 1.5 volts / battery when in a 100% state.
3. Battery fit and finish in fact is excellent on the unit I purchased. The key is to pay close attention to the install. Place the upper portion of the battery into the mouse first and tip the battery into the mouse and engage the locking tab. Press firmly down on the battery further until you can manually move the locking tab into the fully engaged position. Once locked the slight outward pressure of the battery pack will keep it locked in place. I've banged my mouse around deliberately on my desk to make the battery pack disengage and fall out. So far so good.
4. Can't comment on the charger's life expectancy but it does carry a 1 year warranty through Mobee Technologies and if you purchase it on a credit card then your warranty is doubled to 2 years anyways.
5. Please refer to point 3 and FULLY engage the lock tab on the bottom of the mouse. Don't just press fit it in, press firmly and LOCK the tab in place so it fully catches the edge of the lock tab cutout.
6. Can't say that in the few days I've used the mouse that I've lost connectivity. Some reports have said that the connectivity loss is a direct result of the battery falling out. If point 3 is followed then there should be no reason why the mouse would stop communicating with your computer.

Overall after paying very close attention to the fine details of the charger and battery pack I give it a 4 star rating. Pay particular attention as to how the battery should be installed (tuck upper portion of the battery into mouse FIRST and then firmly lock the tab on the bottom. Last but not least don't place the charger on ANY metal surfaces (esp the foot of the iMac base).

Recommendations to improve this product:
1. Include detailed install instructions so that others can't inadvertently try to drop the battery pack into the mouse without first tucking in the upper edge. Common sense isn't so common for some users.
2. Not related to product - Apple OSX needs to revise their battery reporting schema to allow users to tell OSX what type of batteries their using.
3. Price - This unit isn't cheap. Consider that you can buy the equivalent eneloop batteries for HALF the cost to accomplish the same result is a tough sell for some.
4. HAVE a CLEARLY VISIBLE warning to product users to NOT place the charger on metallic surfaces. It simply doesn't work when sitting on metal or the base of the iMac.
5. Include a passthrough USB cable so that it can still be plugged into a computer BUT allow another USB device cable to be plugged into it.
6. Speed up charging times to about 1 hour vs. 6.

Re: Mavericks 10.9.2 update - 03/01/14 05:37 AM

#3 from your quote>>:)
Quote:
3. Price - This unit isn't cheap. Consider that you can buy the equivalent eneloop batteries for HALF the cost to accomplish the same result is a tough sell for some.

Re: Mavericks 10.9.2 update - 03/01/14 06:24 AM

I only paid $29 via Amazon, and if — as it appears to be working out thus far — I only need one overnight charge per week, and I get the promised 500 charge cycles (or even close to that), and never have to so much as crack the back cover of the mouse, I'd call that a darn good value. Not a hard sell for me.

Now, if the unit craps out on me in a couple of months or if the charge duration starts to decline… that's a different story. But it's warranted for a full year from the date of purchase.