Soooo Mavericks ...

Posted by: six_of_one

Soooo Mavericks ... - 01/08/14 09:09 AM

Hey!

I still haven't installed Mavericks due to all the issues reported here earlier, especially as related to Adobe stuff. So to those of you who are running it: what's it like these days? Have the kinks been worked out yet?

More importantly, is there really a compelling reason to upgrade -- anything that you just can't live without?

Just wondering if it's safe/time to make the plunge =)
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Soooo Mavericks ... - 01/08/14 09:52 AM

Meh.
I haven't had any problems with CS6, but I can't think of any compelling reason to upgrade, except for maybe the iWork programs.

On the other hand, it's all free, so c'mon in. The water's fine.

Re: Soooo Mavericks ... - 01/08/14 10:18 AM

Thanks!

I think I heard Steve say he had some problems with CC apps, which would be my main concern. Other than that, my main hesitancy is that I really don't care about a lot of the new "features," so I'd rather not have to deal with those unless there's also a performance benefit or something =)
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Soooo Mavericks ... - 01/08/14 11:51 AM

I haven't done it yet. I have diagnostic/file recovery/etc apps I need to make sure work.

When time allows I'll probably start fresh and install what I need as I need it, and keep 10.8.5 on another machine in case I need something right away. I've been migrating this system since 10.5. Probably have a lot of stuff I really don't need.

My suggestion if you do it, make sure you have a full backup so that you can back out of it if you need to.

10.9 has some new bells and whistles, but whether I need them or not is the question.
Posted by: steveg

Re: Soooo Mavericks ... - 01/08/14 12:47 PM

Initially, it broke CC's file and font sync, but Adobe fixed that very quickly. The bigger problem is that the speed of the CC apps was very uneven across the suite. Photoshop ran much faster, but ID and AI were like molasses uphill in December. DW seemed not to change much.

I saw nothing in the 9.1 release notes that addressed the logout/shutdown issues, finder quirks, and wifi hiccups that so many people (and I) had experienced.

I've purged a ton of little-used or non-critical software over the last few weeks, and when 9.2 is released, I'll totally wipe my drives and reinstall everything fresh over the new OS. That may avoid some of the other issues that may have been caused by an update with existing apps in place. Or, if 9.2 isn't reporting any relevant fixes, I may wait 'til 9.3.

Re: Soooo Mavericks ... - 01/08/14 12:53 PM

Sir Laurence Olivier to Dustin Hoffman: "Is it safe?" eek

Re: Soooo Mavericks ... - 01/08/14 02:02 PM

Ah, thanks, Steve -- that's what I remember reading from you. I guess the message is to wait for 10.9.2 before taking the plunge. As long as PS and Illustrator work fine, I can live with other apps in the suite running slow for now -- I just don't use them that much. logout/shutdown issues and Finder quirks are a little more worrisome, however rather have those squashed dead before switching ...

Thanks everyone for the replies! Holding off for now =D
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Soooo Mavericks ... - 01/08/14 02:56 PM

Mavericks 9.0. Just like pulling teeth?
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Soooo Mavericks ... - 01/08/14 03:01 PM

Originally Posted By: steveg

.... and when 9.2 is released, I'll totally wipe my drives and reinstall everything fresh over the new OS. .

Really?

Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: Soooo Mavericks ... - 01/08/14 03:20 PM

I've updated, and so far, the new things it does are more annoying than useful (dock background, ugh) - though I like having tabbed Finder. Mostly right now I'm amused that iPhoto is installing an update from 9.5.1 to 9.5.2 - and it's 1.15Gb. Really? Oh, and Photoshop CS4 works fine smile.

Re: Soooo Mavericks ... - 01/09/14 03:15 AM

You know what I mean smartass. >:p That said, 9.2 may be a better option that 10.9.2.

BTW, I still get notifications when new posts are added to the Apple Support threads I had been participating in a couple of months ago. People are still suggesting remedies that are beyond absurd and make Rube Goldberg look like a simplicity god! The latest gem was that the way to end the Sys Prefs freezes is to completely purge all things iCloud from your Mac. crazy

Re: Soooo Mavericks ... - 01/09/14 03:16 AM

LOL! I have that on VHS. Gotta get it converted to DVD. laugh