Mavericks 10.9.1 Update

Posted by: Acumowchek

Mavericks 10.9.1 Update - 12/16/13 02:18 PM

Good luck, and stay safe now, ya hear?
Posted by: steveg

Re: Mavericks 10.9.1 Update - 12/16/13 03:01 PM

I don't see word one in the list of fixes about the logout/shutdown issues, erratic finder behavior, or wireless network issues. Methinks I'll wait out at least one more update before I stick my hand in the wood chipper again. eek

Re: Mavericks 10.9.1 Update - 12/16/13 03:06 PM

Wood chipper? Where'd you get that?
Mine's a garbage disposal.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Mavericks 10.9.1 Update - 12/16/13 03:25 PM

So far so good.
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Mavericks 10.9.1 Update - 12/16/13 04:58 PM

I don't know. It kinda feels a little faster and seems brighter and has a certain spring! Looks good here.

wink

Ha. I just opened Mail. So fast I couldn't see it, some little window opened and closed and a little ding "bell" rang. What the foot?

Re: Mavericks 10.9.1 Update - 12/16/13 05:16 PM

It rebuilt the data base. Shnappy! wink

Re: Mavericks 10.9.1 Update - 12/23/13 04:04 AM

Newer posts on the Apple Support Forums related to many of the same issues as before. And evidently, there's already a 10.9.2 seed just released to developers.

It's beginning to look like the majority of problems are occurring within OS updates, and not so much in factory or clean installs. So I think I'm gonna wait for the .2 release and then wipe the drives on my Mini and MBP and do clean installs of Mavericks on both with fresh installs of all of my apps, CC, MS Office, Extensis, Toast, etc. And I'll probably do some digital soul-searching to see what apps I really don't need anymore. For example, after having all of my print vendors verify that they need a printed disk directory like a hole in the head, I've removed PrintWindow.app for good.

I've also gotta wonder how important apps like Stuffit Deluxe and Toast are if extreme file compression and disk burning are infrequent, low priority tasks. Jim…?
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Mavericks 10.9.1 Update - 12/23/13 10:39 AM

Who the hell still asks for Stuffit files?

As for Toast: In my case, I haven't burned a data CD/DVD in nearly 2 years (to my surprise). In our biz, most are asking me to upload to FTP or use Dropbox or Copy to share the files.

I'm with you on the using clean install as an excuse to re-evaluate app use. About once per year I take a look at the apps I have installed and am constantly amazed at how many I'm NOT using.

Strange you mention PrintWindow. I just used it to print a list of my Applications & Utilities folder so I can use it as a checklist of what I want to install on my new Mac when it arrives (after I cross off a few I don't use anymore).

Re: Mavericks 10.9.1 Update - 12/23/13 10:47 AM

Well, I just had a cathartic experience. I uninstalled Toast (and all it's extra, shiny doodads), Stuffit Deluxe (although I thought of keeping it just for the nostalgia wink ), PrintWindow, MacLorem, and even GoToMeeting (my annual sub is up next week and I only used it 7 times last year — waste of money), and basketful of little trinkets that add zero value.

Why, I do declayah, y'alls, mah hahd drive jus' might fit into it's ol' jeans from 1999! blush

Re: Mavericks 10.9.1 Update - 12/23/13 12:03 PM

Toast does install a lot of extra sh!t, doesn't it?! Between utilities like that, and launch items (which tend to live in the menubar) like Evernote, Skitch, and other "background" apps, you can really speed up your machine by getting rid of the ones you don't use frequently.

Another culprit is any font management app. I love Extensis Suitcase Fusion, but not having it installed at all seems to really speed the entire system up.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Mavericks 10.9.1 Update - 12/23/13 12:13 PM

Originally Posted By: MacGizmo
Another culprit is any font management app. I love Extensis Suitcase Fusion, but not having it installed at all seems to really speed the entire system up.
I know, but nobody listens to me, right steve-o?

Re: Mavericks 10.9.1 Update - 12/23/13 12:16 PM

Suitcase is the one app I will never delete. And I've never seen speed issues since Fusion doesn't need to run in the background like the previous versions. I only keep a handful of fonts activated permanently and let the auto-activation plugin do it's thing for a few more fonts. When I need to add fonts, I launch Fusion, drag the new fonts in and quit. Easy-peasy.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Mavericks 10.9.1 Update - 12/23/13 12:21 PM

Originally Posted By: steveg
I've also gotta wonder how important apps like Stuffit Deluxe and Toast are if extreme file compression and disk burning are infrequent, low priority tasks. Jim…?
Both Toast and Stuffit install extra crap.

Don't let Toast install Toast It or whatever the other Contextual Menu item is it tries to install. Same with Stuffit, forget Magic Menu or any Contextual Menu items.

Toast is totally benign if you don't install those, but I think Stuffit still installs a Preference pane. You can just use the built in compression of OS X, and if you need to unstuff Stuffit Expander is benign.

Re: Mavericks 10.9.1 Update - 12/23/13 12:40 PM

There's no pref pane for Stuffit. But all that crap is gone now — prefs in both user and root libraries, Application Support files — every steenkin' file associated with Stuffit and Toast and the other apps I mentioned. After auditing the software against my workflow and the last time any of 'em were used, it became clear that goombye time was in order. I did d/l a copy of Expander just in case I ever encounter the rare Stuffit archive. I also realized that the Mac's onboard disk burning utility does everything I'll ever need, so Toast is now, well, toast!. grin
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Mavericks 10.9.1 Update - 12/23/13 05:22 PM

So ironic that for so many years I used a "copy" of Toast and then finally bought Toast 11. Now I realize that I practically never use it due to Drop Box.

Re: Mavericks 10.9.1 Update - 12/23/13 05:33 PM

Yup, all the commercial print shops have upload portals, there's DropBox and YouSendIt and other similar file transfer services. And thumb drives are cheaper than DVDs these days.

I remember when EM releases had to be stuffed and then split up over a half dozen floppies! Then came Bernoulli drives, then zip disks.

Heh, this feels like "When I was your age I walked 10 miles through foot-deep snow to get to school!" laugh
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Mavericks 10.9.1 Update - 12/24/13 04:14 AM

Uphill.

Re: Mavericks 10.9.1 Update - 12/24/13 04:21 AM

Into the wind.

Re: Mavericks 10.9.1 Update - 12/24/13 04:22 AM

With no shoes.

Re: Mavericks 10.9.1 Update - 12/24/13 04:23 AM

And no GPS… eek

Re: Mavericks 10.9.1 Update - 12/24/13 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By: steveg
Suitcase is the one app I will never delete. And I've never seen speed issues since Fusion doesn't need to run in the background like the previous versions.

Well actually, it still runs in the background. You don't have to keep the app itself open, if that's what you mean, but Fusion Core still runs in the background as a faceless background daemon. It won't show up in your Startup Items list anymore, but you can see it in the Activity Monitor app (look for FMCore).

At the end of the day though, I'm with you; it's an app that is just too useful to delete.

Re: Mavericks 10.9.1 Update - 12/25/13 03:14 AM

Yeah, I know the core is still humming. One or two times in the far past I'd gotten an error message when launching ID or AI telling me that the app couldn't find certain fonts because the core wasn't running. But AFAICT, it hasn't ever slowed down anything.