Stop telling me what time it is

Posted by: John Rougeux

Stop telling me what time it is - 12/03/13 02:36 AM

I turned off that time notification on my iMac running 10.9 in System Prefs but the stupid thing STILL announces the time on the hour.

I have restarted it and checked/unchecked it again and looked all over for this setting in other places just in case. nothing.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Stop telling me what time it is - 12/03/13 06:31 AM

I could see how that could be rather annoying. I can't help you, though, since I'm still in 10.7.5 world. The option to enable it is present for me, but I'm not turning it on.

Re: Stop telling me what time it is - 12/03/13 12:16 PM

what's really annoying is when the volume was turned up for something and then in the middle of the night it says "It's 3am".
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Stop telling me what time it is - 12/03/13 03:21 PM

Try deleting the com.apple.speech.synthesis.general.prefs.plist in your HD/Users/you/Library/Preferences

Log out.

If that doesn't work try com.apple.finder.plist. Deleting this one will change some stuff in the Finder, but it can all be set back of course.

Re: Stop telling me what time it is - 12/09/13 08:21 AM

There is no Library in My folder, there is one in the HD folder and in the System folder
(HD/Library or HD/System/Library)

In the HD/Library folder, there is a Preference folder but nothing is titled: com.apple.speech.synthesis.general.prefs.plist

Not even a speech prefs

In the HD/System/Library folder, there is a PreferencePanes folder, but no Preference folder. I did find Speech.PrefPane file there.

Should I delete that?
Posted by: steveg

Re: Stop telling me what time it is - 12/09/13 08:34 AM

The user Library is hidden. Click the Go menu and hold down the Option key to reveal Library.

Re: Stop telling me what time it is - 12/09/13 08:44 AM

Thanks Steve, I found it and deleted that. I'll find out in 16 minutes if it worked.

Re: Stop telling me what time it is - 12/09/13 07:10 PM

Thanks Jim, I haven't heard it all day!
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Stop telling me what time it is - 12/09/13 07:13 PM

I love it when a plan comes together. Glad to help. cool
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Stop telling me what time it is - 12/15/13 07:41 AM

It's so easy to permanently 'un-hide' the Library folder, but I wish Apple would have set it up to always show it on Admin accounts, and always hide it on non-Admin accounts. Would make more sense that way.