10.8 key combo to start text-to-speech not working

Posted by: padmavyuha

10.8 key combo to start text-to-speech not working - 11/25/13 11:51 AM

I've tried numerous key combos in the "Speak selected text when the key is pressed" option in System Prefs, but can't get anything to trigger Start Speaking, except the contextual menu Speech option.

Has anyone got this working? How?!
Posted by: Jim_

Re: 10.8 key combo to start text-to-speech not working - 11/25/13 12:11 PM

You don't mention what your key combo is to invoke it, but the default is Command-Option-Control-7. It didn't work when I first tried. I went to Change Key and pressed Command-Option-Control-7, this seems to have kick started it, Command-Option-Control-7 works now.

If you chose a different key combo and it doesn't work, maybe that key combo is being used by something else.

Re: 10.8 key combo to start text-to-speech not working - 11/26/13 01:26 AM

Nope - I've tried a whole array of key combos that I've ensured first of all weren't being used elsewhere (including that one), and it does nothing. When I hit the key combo, there's nothing happening in the console, but when I launch speech via the contextual menu, there's activity in console and the text is read out. Most frustrating. I'm trying to find workarounds, but so far I canít find any way of running Start Speaking via AppleScript or iKey or anything.

Re: 10.8 key combo to start text-to-speech not working - 11/26/13 01:37 AM

Update: there's definitely a problem in there somewhere, because I'm not the only one who's had this happen (I should have googled better last night).

The workaround is to deselect that option in the Text & Speech prefs panel, and instead add shortcuts to Keyboard Shortcuts under All Applications for Start Speaking and Stop Speaking. As soon as I did that, all the key combos that didn't work before now work. I've picked Cmd-Opt-Ctrl-< and -> respectively.