Mail Mavericks

Posted by: KateSorensen

Mail Mavericks - 11/17/13 09:01 PM

After using Mail for probably the whole day, I choose from the menu to quit mail. The stuff on the screen goes away but the menu listing of Mail and all the other headings are still there. I wait. I wait. I go to Force Quit and note that appears to be having no problem I wait. I wait. I go back and force quit it. This has happened many times.

I have cleaned out a lot of mail folders back to 2006 [hanging my head] and other junque. Rebuilt mail boxes. Just for kicks I just went over and quit Mail and it was successful. So it does not happen every time. But, it seems frequently.

Just making note of it here. I'll research more tomorrow, but by then if all goes as usual, I will have forgotten I was going to do this. smile

Posted by: steveg

Re: Mail Mavericks - 11/18/13 03:11 AM

Kate, it's becoming evident that Mavericks is one of Apple's sloppiest releases ever. They released a quick Mail fix recently, but there are a ton of stability problems that people are encountering, from System Pref freezes to inability to shut down or log out, to finder windows not populating... I'm pulling my hair out with many of those and with InDesign being sluggish (though Illustrator is unaffected and Photoshop runs way faster).

Apple is supposedly beta testing 10.9.1, and AFAIC, they can't get it out fast enough.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Mail Mavericks - 11/18/13 04:40 AM

I agree. Mail.app is behaving very strangely. My latest problem is that all of my computers don't sync with iCloud. The laptops do, but the desktop doesn't. So if I read and/or delete on one laptop, it show as read or is deleted on the other laptop, but not on the desktop. I hate that.

Re: Mail Mavericks - 11/18/13 05:44 AM

Go figure, I've not had any Mail problems. Of course, I probably just broke that spell. eek Me and my big mouth. cry

Re: Mail Mavericks - 11/18/13 11:59 AM

Well gee guys. The only reason I am better off than you are is that I am not depending on my Mac in a business situation or teaching. I can live with it until we get over the hills. [mountains]

Re: Mail Mavericks - 11/18/13 12:18 PM

I restored Mt. Lion this morning and waddaya know? I'm actually getting work done — without having to force a shutdown every 90 minutes.

But I'm gonna leave Mavericks on the MBP and use it as a crash dummy when the next couple of updates are released. When I can do heavy lifts on that machine without all these probs, I'll upgrade the Mini — even if I have to wait for a .2 or .3 release.

Re: Mail Mavericks - 11/19/13 11:40 AM

So when Mail appeared to "hang" in the way I've described, last night I decided not to force quit. Thought maybe sleeping overnight might resolve the mail problem all by itself.

This morning when I went to use mail I forgot I had let it run and just made a new email. As I typed in a recipient, it did not auto fill. After a couple times, I opened Contacts to drag in cards. [I still didn't remember last night.]

Finally, I made a new email and had no luck completing it. Thought I'd better quit. Quit was not an option on the drop down menu and a light went on in my brain -- a floodlight!! I remembered. [Do not get old, guys and gals.]

I force quit Mail and started over. All is well. Mail is screwed though, that's for dang sure. I'm sticking with Mavericks.

Isn't there an official Apple email to report stuff like this just so they know how many people are having certain problems?

Re: Mail Mavericks - 11/19/13 12:01 PM

I'm sure they're getting earfuls from many sources — including their own support forums. And Googling Mavericks is like what used to happen when you Googled Rick Santorum. eek

I got a call from a friend and colleague last night. He asked if I had upgraded to Mavericks because he was encountering just about every problem that's been raised on the intertubes. I told him what I had been dealing with and that I restored Mt. Lion for now. He started to sob uncontrollably, because he backs up his work docs on Time Machine, but never his system. So he's stuck with it. Bwa-hahahaha….
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Mail Mavericks - 11/19/13 12:14 PM

Originally Posted By: steveg
He started to sob uncontrollably, because he backs up his work docs on Time Machine, but never his system. So he's stuck with it. Bwa-hahahaha….
You're welcome. smirk

Re: Mail Mavericks - 11/19/13 12:26 PM

And 10Q2mooch. wink

Re: Mail Mavericks - 11/23/13 10:08 PM

Two days ago, my mail started quitting normally -- no problems.

Heal! Miracles do happen.