Posible remedy for Mavericks problems?

Posted by: steveg

Posible remedy for Mavericks problems? - 11/16/13 07:46 AM

I'm finding that System Prefs freezes and inability to log out or shut down are fairly common. One suggestion on the Apple support forums was to reboot while holding down the Option/R keys to reinstall the OS. That poster claimed that it appears to have corrected the problem.

I've repaired permissions, done fsck -f, run DW, and reset the PRAM. But I'm still getting SP freezes and blank gray screens when trying to shut down or log out. Plus I've disabled or uninstalled a few older, rarely used apps, and removed others from LogIn items.

So trying the reinstall option may be worth a shot. But will that nuke my user folder? Do I need to copy things like my Mail folder, or will that stuff be untouched?

What's weird is that my MBP is virtually a mirror of the Mini, but I have not experienced any of these issues on the laptop.

Re: Posible remedy for Mavericks problems? - 11/16/13 08:18 AM

Nebbermind. Reinstalling now.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Posible remedy for Mavericks problems? - 11/16/13 08:39 AM

So it's not going to overwrite anything? Just update?

I haven't done a clean install in so long, my work machine is getting pretty sluggish. It might be a good idea to start from scratch… But not today… grin

Re: Posible remedy for Mavericks problems? - 11/16/13 08:46 AM

Yup. It leaves all files intact. It says so on the Apple Support site and I verified it with Jim. wink And I mis-typed the key combo. It's command/R. It's in progress right now, so hopefully it will fix the problem.

This issue, and finder windows taking a long time to populate when first opened seem to be widespread. Get on the stick, Apple. 10.9.1 way soon, please. smirk
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Posible remedy for Mavericks problems? - 11/16/13 08:57 AM

This has not been Apple's shining moment. Like Jim says, Apple has the money to get things right in the first place. And what's the hurry with an OS update, anyway? I guess I can see why the iOS market demands that they hurry the updates out, but for the computer? Nah.

Re: Posible remedy for Mavericks problems? - 11/16/13 09:05 AM

The Perfectionist-In-Chief is no longer there. That's why. frown

Or, you coulds say, as healthcare.gov goes, so goes Apple. eek

Re: Posible remedy for Mavericks problems? - 11/16/13 09:29 AM

Reinstall done. Now to play around for an hour or so and see if it's more stable this time. If not, I'll just bite the bullet and wait for a maintenance update, or just plug the MBP into the Thunderbolt display for a while.

Although, the finder windows seem to populate much faster now. So...

Re: Posible remedy for Mavericks problems? - 11/16/13 11:20 AM

Well, that sucks a big wet wanker! cry Just spent a couple of hours messing with a few images in Pshop and editing some copy in Word, plus a a few emails and a bit of surfing, and then, just as a test, I logged out. Same Ol' Sh¡t. Blank gray screen and a forced shutdown. Damn damn damn... mad

Re: Posible remedy for Mavericks problems? - 11/16/13 11:29 AM

I've been moving some files over the wireless network at home, and as soon as I drop the icon of the stuff I want to move onto the desktop of the remote computer, I get the spinning beach ball. The Finder won't respond until the whole file has been transferred. I can still use other apps, but it's not optimal.

Re: Posible remedy for Mavericks problems? - 11/16/13 11:37 AM

Well, there's an awful lot of chatter a/b these bugs, and hopefully it's being heard — and acted on — in Coo Per Teen O. Udderwize, it's a-gonna be Occupy Mavericks! shocked
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Posible remedy for Mavericks problems? - 11/16/13 04:59 PM

Put the mini into target disk mode, connect the thunderbolt from the mini to the MBP, boot the MBP off of the mini disc, see if it happens then. Is it hardware of software.

You'll have to use the MBP for the screen. If the FW port on the mini was working you could connect the two with FW while the mini is in TDM, then the monitor to the thunderbolt on the MBP.

If your MBP has two thunderbolt ports you can use the monitor. I forget which one you have, I don't think it does though.

Re: Posible remedy for Mavericks problems? - 11/17/13 02:35 AM

I might try that (only one T-Bolt port). But with so much chatter about this on the Apple support forums (and others), I'm more inclined to think this a software bug — especially since the problem never existed before the update.

I'm also considering just plugging in the MBP for this week to confirm that there's no problem on that system, and then, as much of a PIA as it is, wipe the Mini with a multi-pass and do a clean reinstall of everything. Or possibly postpone the latter for a few weeks if it looks like a new Mini might be in Chanuclause's bag.

But to put this in the context of my typical day, I very very rarely log out, and only restart when it's necessary. And generally, I only launch System Prefs once in a great while to change my desktop pic set or tweak a setting. So these problems are not necessarily killing my workflow, but are a concern because, metaphorically speaking, even if you can't hear it, you don't want any trees falling in the forest. wink

Re: Posible remedy for Mavericks problems? - 11/17/13 08:54 AM

Definitely not a hardware issue. I shut down the Mini and replaced it with the MBP, and then proceeded to continue the work that I had started earlier, using ID, Pshop, and AI. After a couple of hours, I encountered the same problems.

But wait — there's more! (as they say on TV) While working on the Mini, I found that I could access only one of the two partitions on my external drive. And when I created a new folder on the desktop, I was unable to rename it. I got a "couldn't complete the task" error. While working on the MBP, I was able to open both partition windows, but the contents simply would not appear! I had also read that some people were experiencing data loss on their external drives since installing Mavericks — so maybe this was what they were referring to. My stuff is still there, but until a reboot, I can't see it.

So at least I know this isn't a hardware thing. Nor is it an isolated situation. And, at least for me, it appears to be instigated by moderately processor-intensive activity (like working in three CC apps at the same time), which is why at first, I thought the MBP had dodged the bullet. F'n bummer! mad

Re: Posible remedy for Mavericks problems? - 11/17/13 09:42 AM

And the saga continues. ID locks up during some simple tasks, like relinking an image. And when I force-quit, it will not relaunch, which means another forced shutdown. So now it is compromising my workflow. mad

Sh¡t, Apple... who built this OS, the same clowns that developed healthcare.gov? smirk

Re: Posible remedy for Mavericks problems? - 11/17/13 04:09 PM

Something to look forward to.

Re: Posible remedy for Mavericks problems? - 11/17/13 06:20 PM

Can't come quickly enough.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Posible remedy for Mavericks problems? - 11/18/13 05:36 AM

Weird. My Snow Leopard just works....

grin
Posted by: mrpooh

Re: Posible remedy for Mavericks problems? - 11/24/13 08:51 AM

I am sorry for your frustration !

I give you some empathy.
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Posible remedy for Mavericks problems? - 11/24/13 01:51 PM

Stick around MrPooh

empathy is just what Mavericks needs oodles of lately;)

Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Posible remedy for Mavericks problems? - 11/24/13 03:02 PM

?
You are responding to the wrong person.
Please re-register to make your next 1st smart ass comment.
TYVM!

Yawn...

Re: Posible remedy for Mavericks problems? - 11/24/13 03:28 PM

Our first sock puppet in x years?

Re: Posible remedy for Mavericks problems? - 11/24/13 03:39 PM

We must be a bit gun shy, be nice people. From what I can see his info checks out. Legitimate email etc. Let's not drive anybody away.

If I thought it was spam I'd have deleted it.

Re: Posible remedy for Mavericks problems? - 11/24/13 03:56 PM

It's just so unusual to have an unironic newbie. wink

Re: Posible remedy for Mavericks problems? - 11/24/13 05:13 PM

Well, if mrpooh isn't selling kitten accessories, he's all right by me.
And with a name like smuckers mrpooh, it has to be good.

Re: Posible remedy for Mavericks problems? - 11/24/13 08:53 PM

Kitten accessories, eh? Hmmmm . . . would that be like Mr. Bond's Goldfingerish friend?

Re: Posible remedy for Mavericks problems? - 11/25/13 02:40 AM

Are you suggesting he shouldn't be mrpooh-poohed? grin

Re: Posible remedy for Mavericks problems? - 11/25/13 04:51 AM

grin