New Keynote

Posted by: yoyo52

New Keynote - 11/04/13 06:03 PM

Have I said how much I hate the new Keynote? What in the name of good software was Apple thinking? There are things I used to do regularly that I can't do now. The space between bullets in a bullet-point slide can't be adjusted any more. Movies start as soon as you go to the slide, and you can't make the movie start on a click. Even something as essential as adding a new slide and then changing it from one kind to another can't be done. So if I start with a plain bulleted list and then decide that I want to add a heading to it, I have to start from scratch because I can't change the plain bullets to bullets with a heading.

Did I say how much I hate the new Keynote?
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: New Keynote - 11/04/13 06:58 PM

I was wondering when someone would comment.
As soon as I saw the limitations of the iCloud versions (Didn't have iOS apps at the time), I knew they were going to change iWork to a simpler, web based platform.
Apple, no doubt, will add functions later.
Cool.
I hope it's tomorrow.
Posted by: steveg

Re: New Keynote - 11/05/13 02:42 AM

Hmmm… When I peeked at the new interface during my two-day visit to Mavericksland, I thought it was an improvement — but I didn't actually pay around with it. Something to consider when — after Extensis and Adobe CC catch up — I take another run at 10.9.

So, lemme axe you dis, Perfessir: Does PowerPoint have the basic options you need so that you could create a presentation their and then port it over to Keynote?

I don't use either very often, but lately I've been creating proposals and pitches in Keynote and exporting them to html, which allows clients to view the document in a browser, complete with slide show controls. Way cleaner and convenient-er.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: New Keynote - 11/05/13 04:16 AM

Adjusting the space between bullet list items (leading/spacing)
Click the Format icon in toolbar, then click the Text Tab. Under Style/Spacing, adjust the Line spacing, and/or the space before/after a paragraph.

Adjusting space between bullets and text:
Click the Format icon in toolbar, then click the Text Tab. Under Style/Bullets & Text. See screenshot here.

Setting a movie to play on click
Place your video in the Keynote slide and select it. Click the Format icon in the toolbar and select the Movie tab if it isn't selected for you. At the bottom, click the "Start Movie on Click" box. The movie will not play until clicked.

Changing a slide from one kind (template) to another:
Click to select the slide you want to change, then click the Format icon in the toolbar. Slide Layout appears. Click the drop-down menu icon and select the slide type from the available template styles.

I'll grant you that none of these things are handy compared to previous versions of Keynote. But as you can see, it's most likely because they moved something and we simply haven't found it.

When you think about it, these items make more sense where they're at now - we're just old farts that don't like change.

Re: New Keynote - 11/05/13 08:11 AM

Thanks Giz. The movie thing still doesn't work for me. I know the click box is there, but it's grayed out--on some media files. On others it works ok. I still don't like the new interface.

And Steve, I don't like the way most all PowerPoint slides look. They're designed by Windows people, I guess.

Re: New Keynote - 11/05/13 08:16 AM

True dat. But in some cases, by porting over to Keynote, you can then finesse the appearance with Keynote attributes and mask that fugly MS look.
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: New Keynote - 11/05/13 02:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Acumowchek
Apple, no doubt, will add functions later.
Cool.
I hope it's tomorrow.

Can't happen soon enough -- the current iteration is basically useless for my needs, unfortunately, and I'll have to stay with the mare functional -- although still rather flawed -- previous version. Which is a shame, as I was hoping they'd fix some of the more glaring issues rather than concentrate on cross-platform parity ...

Re: New Keynote - 11/06/13 11:18 AM

iWork Features Coming Back
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: New Keynote - 11/06/13 11:54 AM

Some features in upcoming releases in the next 6 months eek

Re: New Keynote - 11/06/13 01:55 PM

I was just going to post this myself -- huzzah!

Hopefully these aren't the only features they're planning to re-implement, but it's a good start.

"Within the next six months" -- probably meaning "after six months," but one can hope =D
Posted by: Jim_

Re: New Keynote - 11/06/13 03:32 PM

Maybe I don't understand how to manage 145+ billion in cash, but I think that we shouldn't be having all of these problems. IMO for a few billion more in R&D we should have an OS and hardware platform to brag about and not to have to make excuses for anymore. Jobs was kind of the same, I didn't understand how some mistakes were made with all of the resources he had, but it seems to me the quality of hardware and software has become worse under Cook.

I still won't sell my Macs, but just sayin'.

Re: New Keynote - 11/06/13 04:41 PM

Quote:
Maybe I don't understand how to manage 145+ billion in cash, but I think that we shouldn't be having all of these problems.

I think the issues stem from Apple's focus on the iDevice ecosystem, since that's their cash cow moving into the future. The "Pro" market is obviously not nearly as important to them as it used to be and it shows.

As for iWork, ideally they'd make a "Pro" version to match their other "Pro" apps that nobody expects to run on an iPhone. But I'm not sure Apple is that committed these days to much of anything without an "i" in front of it (the $3k+ über-can notwithstanding)

Re: New Keynote - 11/06/13 05:19 PM

Originally Posted By: six_of_one
as I was hoping they'd fix some of the more glaring issues rather than concentrate on cross-platform parity
Do you mean Windows parity? If so I agree, it's years past due. Reference my post about how to make good use of 145+ billion in cash.

Yes I get the iDevice thing, it has become a source of income for me too, but I think it's still too early to alienate the users I see still wanting to sit in front of a monitor. Unless that's the road plan Steve-o left. He knew when to dump the floppy.

Then again, I don't have 145 b in cash. If I did I would have arranged a massive get-together for all of us by now, even Phos and poly. smirk

I would probably have to hire the Hell's Angels for security though. grin
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: New Keynote - 11/06/13 05:23 PM

Quote:
even Phos and poly.

Dude! grin

Re: New Keynote - 11/06/13 08:06 PM

Quote:
Do you mean Windows parity?

Actually, I was talking about iOS / OSX parity =)

My big worry is that the iDevice stuff will become so lucrative that Apple will just phase-out any offerings for the professional segment and leave us with no real choice but to move to Windows. (Fortunately, Adobe's products are virtually platform agnostic, so that wouldn't be a huge issue for me -- but in my particular world, having Powerpoint as the *only* practical option for presentation software is a scary thought) …

Re: New Keynote - 11/07/13 03:23 AM

Apple has begun to adopt for its particular consumer solar system what many software developers once followed as a broader marketing strategy for the consumer computing universe. Remember when Mac versions of many software products were scarce while PC versions were ubiquitous? That was because the market share disparity btwn the two platforms was enormous. Hell, brands like Intuit still follow that rule to a frustrating degree.

Apple's iSomething product expansion seduced more customers on a huge scale — though not so much regarding computers as iDevices. And the iDevices are targeted more to the overall consumer base, in which pro users are a minority.

So yeah, phones and tablets — even iMacs — are generating way more revenue than products like the Mac Pro. And if you're not a cash-cow, youse just ain't as sexy as youse used to was. cry

Re: New Keynote - 11/21/13 03:10 PM

iWork Updates Available.
Get 'em while they're hot!

Re: New Keynote - 11/22/13 03:54 AM

iWork, schmiWork… How about 10.9.1, Apple. Put down the apps and get the f'n' OS right first. mad

Re: New Keynote - 11/23/13 05:57 AM

What makes PowerPoint the *ONLY* practical solution?

Re: New Keynote - 11/23/13 06:12 AM

Originally Posted By: MacGizmo
What makes PowerPoint the *ONLY* practical solution?
You need to read his post again.

Re: New Keynote - 11/24/13 07:10 PM

I don't think I do.

Re: New Keynote - 11/24/13 07:41 PM

Originally Posted By: MacGizmo
I don't think I do.
He didn't say PowerPoint was currently the only solution. The way I read it was with the way Apple is treating its Pro consumers he'd hate to think what would happen if Apple dropped the development of Keynote, making Powerpoint the only solution.

Read it again.

Re: New Keynote - 11/25/13 09:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Jim_
The way I read it was with the way Apple is treating its Pro consumers he'd hate to think what would happen if Apple dropped the development of Keynote, making Powerpoint the only solution.

This.

Re: New Keynote - 11/26/13 04:49 AM

My question is still the same. If Apple dropped development of Keynote, what makes PowerPoint the ONLY solution?

Re: New Keynote - 11/26/13 05:14 AM

I would think there are other presentation apps available. But how many for Mac, and are they as robust as Keynote or even PPT? And don't forget, there's an i-device version of Keynote. Is there one for PPT?

Re: New Keynote - 11/26/13 05:33 AM

If you're aware of anything aside from Keynote that offers the same capabilities and similar feature set as Powerpoint, I'm all ears.

Re: New Keynote - 11/26/13 05:46 AM

Originally Posted By: steveg
I would think there are other presentation apps available. But how many for Mac, and are they as robust as Keynote or even PPT? And don't forget, there's an i-device version of Keynote. Is there one for PPT?

Actually, there are fewer presentation apps than you might imagine. It really is quite frustrating, since Powerpoint can be tremendously annoying. Unfortunately, so can Keynote. So I periodically look around for an alternative. Haven't found any yet that are as mature and offer the same capabilities.

I still pine for Persuasion, which was by no means perfect but at least seemed to be developing in the right direction. Thanks, Adobe, for letting that one die on the vine =P

As for iDevices, so far in the world in which I work there has been absolutely zero demand for presentations on iPhones/iPads. Maybe that's the future, but for now stuff is staying pretty much on the big screen =)

Re: New Keynote - 11/26/13 07:12 AM

I didn't think there were a lot of alternatives. Every now and then something pops up on Cnet or MacUpdate, but nothing that looks more than very basic. I've only had one client that wanted a presentation that they could run and tweak on an iPad, so I turned them on to that Keynote version — but I also recommended that it would be better to just export the presentation to HTML and show it in a browser.

Re: New Keynote - 11/26/13 09:40 AM

Every now and then I have students who use an on-line presentation app., from Google docs. It works ok for them, but like everything else in the cloud, what happens if your web connection's lost??

Re: New Keynote - 11/26/13 10:00 AM

Ask Spidey! eek

Re: New Keynote - 11/26/13 10:04 AM

I left him hanging somewhere and now I can't find him.

Re: New Keynote - 11/26/13 10:11 AM

Oh, what a tangled we… Oh, nebbermind. confused

Re: New Keynote - 11/26/13 10:16 AM

Hey, I don't need to practice to deceive. It comes naturally!

Wait, did I just say that? eek cry blush

Re: New Keynote - 11/26/13 10:25 AM

Where have I heard that before…?

Re: New Keynote - 11/26/13 07:37 PM

Lots of online preso services out there (slide rocket.com, prezi.com). Some are even really, really good. But I guess my question (or the part I'm more interested in hearing) is WHAT makes PowerPoint or even Keynote the only viable solutions.

Is it the plethora of animation features? It can't possibly be the text-handling (for either app) because they're horrible.

Because I hate animations for the most part, I can get away with using InDesign to create a preso and save it as a PDF (which offers transitions, etc.) Not to mention that embedding images, audio and videos is a breeze.

Re: New Keynote - 11/27/13 03:16 AM

I think part of PPT's appeal is it's ubiquity within the business universe — and Keynote leverages that with it's import/export capabilities. Take a small business with 40 employees for example, wherein collaboration is needed to pull a presentation together. If, like most companies, Office is a standard suite across all in-house computers, everyone has access to and editing capability for that document.

I think it's more the shared functionality than the nature of the output.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: New Keynote - 11/27/13 06:06 AM

Just saw a projector made for use with the iPad and iPhone in the Hammacher Schlemmer catalog.

Re: New Keynote - 11/27/13 06:13 AM

Quote:
But I guess my question (or the part I'm more interested in hearing) is WHAT makes PowerPoint or even Keynote the only viable solutions.

Depends on your needs, how much control you want over your presentation and what your expectations are.

In my world, (live corporate/association events) we need something that is versatile, extensively customizable and reliable. Animation capabilities are of great value (most clients seem to want an After Effects show without the budget or time or comminment ;-); the ability to *reliably* adapt to a variety of aspect ratios and resolutions and then sling around a lot of pixels in them is an absolute must; the ability to string several decks together and *seamlessly* jump around them is essential (something Keynote still needs to work on outside of its terrible, awful presenter mode); and THEN the ability to quickly reformat *everything* because the CEO just now finally saw the look and hates it. And of course there's the aesthetics of how an app handles transitions, animations, videos, etc. (here Keynote excels). Those are just some of the main requirements we're looking to fill. (I won't even get into things like satisfying all of those needs and then having to deliver to the client a version they can use in the future -- usually a Powerpoint file).

Now, don't get me wrong: neither Powerpoint not Keynote satisfies all these requirements all the time -- we often have to jump production from one to the other as needs dictate -- and both can be extremely frustrating to work with. But for our needs, they're the only two real options. (Many times we'll go to Director if the animation really needs to get heavy, but that has tons of downsides as well).

We looked at Prezi, and it's nice as far as it goes -- but it only does go so far. (Plus, spinning/zooming around all the time on a 60-foot screen is going to make an audience puke ;-). I hadn't seen slide rocket, so when they get back around to selling it (!) I'll take a look (from their website, though, it seems more aimed at sales presentations and analytics and stuff, which is less appropriate for our end of things).

But yeah, right now Keynote and Powerpoint are the staples. I'd *love* to see something else with those features an capabilities. But nothing so far … sigh.