First Mavericks problem

Posted by: yoyo52

First Mavericks problem - 10/27/13 01:09 PM

The driver for my HP Scanjet 4850 won't work with Mavericks. I hope there's an update a-coming.
Posted by: steveg

Re: First Mavericks problem - 10/27/13 01:22 PM

HP is generally pretty quick w/updates. Mav had broken my EpsonScan driver, but VueScan was unaffected. You should give it a try. Dollars to donuts your scanner is supported — and you may never go back to a native driver again.

Re: First Mavericks problem - 10/27/13 02:29 PM

Thanks, Steve. Got VueScan and solved the problem. Watch HP upgrade tomorrow. cry
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: First Mavericks problem - 10/27/13 02:43 PM

Epson Stylus NX625 still works. Whew.

Re: First Mavericks problem - 10/28/13 11:09 AM

Pop up blocker not working very well.
Ad block works on refresh.
Same with Click2Flash.

Ad block & Click2Flash I can understand, they will update eventually, but Popups/unders in Safari?
Do not like…

Re: First Mavericks problem - 10/28/13 07:47 PM

Second problem. For some reason my desktop won't allow the monitor to go to sleep. I've fiddled around with the settings, but the only time it works seems to be right after rebooting. I can't swear to that, though, because I don't reboot all that often.

Re: First Mavericks problem - 10/30/13 05:44 PM

Well, the monitor sleep problem has fixed itself. I mean--I fixed it by adjusting the doodad on the whatsit. I'm better than Jim at this stuff! laugh
Posted by: Jim_

Re: First Mavericks problem - 10/30/13 06:10 PM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
Well, the monitor sleep problem has fixed itself. I mean--I fixed it by adjusting the doodad on the whatsit. I'm better than Jim at this stuff! laugh

Never. smirk

It just takes patience, and sometimes the Googles.

Re: First Mavericks problem - 10/31/13 02:42 AM

Pfffft. Jim still doesn't know the diffy btwn a stenerator and a fanotney rod. Am-a-choor! grin
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: First Mavericks problem - 10/31/13 04:05 AM

Originally Posted By: steveg
Pfffft. Jim still doesn't know the diffy btwn a stenerator and a fanotney rod. Am-a-choor! grin

Your an old timer.. and it would take someone like Jim to bring you up to speed.
It was 6 years ago they combined the stenerator and a fanotney rod to make a single unit called the fanoterator. smile

Re: First Mavericks problem - 10/31/13 09:29 AM

Sure do, they're both knock offs of the flux capaci-tater.

Re: First Mavericks problem - 10/31/13 09:32 AM

Ever hear of a newspaper? It was just two years ago that it was ordered off the shelves because it was found to cause severe post-nasal drip in heavy users. The manufacturer tried to re-market it as a snoterator, but the FDA said no.

A lot you know, foo… smirk

Re: First Mavericks problem - 10/31/13 09:43 AM

Newspaper? You're showing your age again ...Dad. cool

Re: First Mavericks problem - 10/31/13 11:04 AM

I'm not even gonna mention what you're showing, sonny. blush But do us all a favor, and put it away! sick

Re: First Mavericks problem - 10/31/13 11:08 AM

Done!

Re: First Mavericks problem - 10/31/13 11:54 AM

Whew! shocked
Posted by: jpms1

Re: First Mavericks problem - 11/01/13 01:42 AM

It's after all a new update so some of the software needs to be awaited updating.

Re: First Mavericks problem - 11/10/13 06:16 PM

I spoke too soon. Neither the monitor sleep nor the system sleep work from the Energy Saver CP. It's not so bad with the laptops since I just close them and that's good enough. But with the desktop I've had to put the computer to sleep physically. Oh, and the screen saver also won't come on automatically from the Screen Saver CP. I've got to go to the hot corner to start that up. It all worked fine before 10.9, naturally.

Oh, and while I'm kevetching, I've noticed that after the last Mail.app update Mail chokes when I select several emails to delete at the same time. The spinning wheel starts up, and although eventually it clears up, it seems to take forever.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: First Mavericks problem - 11/11/13 12:09 PM

Rebuild the desktop! whistle

Re: First Mavericks problem - 11/11/13 12:35 PM

Let me reload OS 9 and see what happens. wink

Re: First Mavericks problem - 11/11/13 01:38 PM

Gee--I don't know what's up with this machine. I can't get it to boot into 9. I'll have to try 8.4.

Re: First Mavericks problem - 11/13/13 08:24 AM

Try repairing permissions before installing Mac OS 8.4, then rebuild the desktop. And don't forget to startup with extensions off.

Re: First Mavericks problem - 11/13/13 09:29 AM

And don't forget fsck-y! eek

Re: First Mavericks problem - 11/13/13 10:36 AM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
I spoke too soon. Neither the monitor sleep nor the system sleep work from the Energy Saver CP. It's not so bad with the laptops since I just close them and that's good enough. But with the desktop I've had to put the computer to sleep physically. Oh, and the screen saver also won't come on automatically from the Screen Saver CP. I've got to go to the hot corner to start that up. It all worked fine before 10.9, naturally.

Oh, and while I'm kevetching, I've noticed that after the last Mail.app update Mail chokes when I select several emails to delete at the same time. The spinning wheel starts up, and although eventually it clears up, it seems to take forever.
Get Onyx. I don't care what Giz says BTW, Repairing Permissions is not just a placebo. I have used it to fix things for some customers.

http://www.titanium.free.fr/downloadonyx.php

I would checkmark everything under the Automation tab. Rebuilding the Mail mailbox indexes may cure the Mail problem.

It will take a while to run everything, but I believe that your laptop has the SSD so it won't be too bad.

Re: First Mavericks problem - 11/13/13 10:52 AM

I've always wondered what, exactly, repairing permissions does. Is it like looking for teeny-weeny people inside the TV? Is is like, the computer says, "NO YOU MAY NOT!!! Well, alright, just this once…" confused

grin

Re: First Mavericks problem - 11/13/13 11:54 AM

I've done the permissions shtick a couple of times already--no joy, unfortunately. I haven't run Onyx in a while, so I'll try that, as well as rebuilding the mailboxes.

Re: First Mavericks problem - 11/13/13 02:13 PM

Onyx will rebuild the mailboxes too.

Re: First Mavericks problem - 11/13/13 03:01 PM

Jim, I've never said repairing permissions is Placebo in general… only for the particular things you keep saying it will fix.

I find it particularly amusing when people repair permissions hoping to fix a problem with software that isn't from Apple or installed with the official Apple installer – since those are the only types of files repairing permissions will work on.

Re: First Mavericks problem - 11/13/13 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By: MacGizmo
I find it particularly amusing when people repair permissions hoping to fix a problem with software that isn't from Apple or installed with the official Apple installer – since those are the only types of files repairing permissions will work on.
Right, if they were installed with the official Apple installer it will leave a BOM in the Receipt.

"Many things you install in Mac OS X are installed from package files (whose filename extension is ".pkg"). Each time something is installed from a package file, a "Bill of Materials" file (whose filename extension is ".bom") is stored in the package's receipt file, which is kept in /Library/Receipts/ . If you look in the Receipts folder, for example, you should see all kinds of files that end with .pkg, including some that were created when Mac OS X was installed (for example, BaseSystem.pkg).
"Each of those '.bom' files contains a list of the files installed by that package, and the proper permissions for each file.

Source credit.

Also a bad installer can bork Apple's permissions.

Re: First Mavericks problem - 11/13/13 03:42 PM

And here's how to fix ACLs in your home folder, Disk Utility doesn't do that.

Re: First Mavericks problem - 11/13/13 03:45 PM

I'm a gonna leave a Bomb in both of your folders..... shocked

Re: First Mavericks problem - 11/13/13 04:43 PM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
I'm a gonna leave a Bomb in both of your folders….. shocked
I got your Bomb hangin' and swingin'…

The Clash of the Titans?

j/k Even though for as long as I remember, which is probably last week, we butt heads, I respect JD's opinions, even when they're wrong.

Did I say that out loud? smirk

I do like The Graphic Mac JD. I must say, what you cover is usually not mainstream copy/paste articles. I did not know Lynda.com was offering Mavericks by Chris Breen for free until Nov 17. Sweet. Thx.

Re: First Mavericks problem - 11/14/13 12:08 PM

For anyone that may have found Mail persistently demanding an iCloud password: Mail Preferences/Accounts/iCloud; click Advanced, and in the Authentication drop down, select Apple Token.

Re: First Mavericks problem - 11/14/13 01:31 PM

Apple Token, that's fitting. smirk

Re: First Mavericks problem - 11/14/13 01:39 PM

Just don't inhale! shocked
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: First Mavericks problem - 11/14/13 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Jim_

It will take a while to run everything, but I believe that your laptop has the SSD so it won't be too bad.

Well crap a mighty, Jim. Can't yoyo get penicillin for the SSD condition? Or maybe just two aspirins.

I think they're working on a cure and vaccination for the SSD now, anyway.

Sounds painful!!

wink

Re: First Mavericks problem - 11/14/13 07:10 PM

laugh

Quote:
Penicillin for the SSD condition

Hey! That's my line! grin

Re: First Mavericks problem - 11/14/13 07:54 PM

Originally Posted By: KateSorensen
Well crap a mighty, Jim. Can't yoyo get penicillin for the SSD condition? Or maybe just two aspirins.
People wish it was just two aspirins. smirk

Re: First Mavericks problem - 11/14/13 07:59 PM

I took two tylenol this afternoon. Didn't help.

And I've been trying to boot into OS 8 for days now. No joy!

Re: First Mavericks problem - 11/15/13 06:30 AM

Hmmm. Starting to see some stability issues:

• I've had to force quit System Prefs a couple of times and then it won't launch again
• Similar thing with Safari
• When trying to log out or shut down or restart, I get a blank screen and have to do a hard shutdown (this has happened a few times today)

I've repaired permissions (which seems to take forever), and with fsck -f there's a set of events that say something to the effect that the identifying Seagate (which I don't have) and Maxtor failed.

Maybe I should see if DW has an update for 10.9. confused

Re: First Mavericks problem - 11/15/13 06:56 AM

DW 4.4, which I have, is 10.9-friendly. So I booted into my external (still a clone of 10.8.5) and ran it. It fixed a few directory errors and now I'll just have to see what happens.

Re: First Mavericks problem - 11/15/13 08:18 AM

How is the SMART status of your HD? Launch disk utility, click on one of the drives, on the bottom right it should say something about SMART status.

Re: First Mavericks problem - 11/15/13 08:57 AM

Onyx is a lot lot lot faster at fixing permissions than is DU.

Re: First Mavericks problem - 11/15/13 09:00 AM

S.M.A.R.T. Status: Verified.

Re: First Mavericks problem - 11/15/13 09:02 AM

So is CCleaner. But that's one of those tasks that I put in the Don't rush this bucket.

Re: First Mavericks problem - 11/15/13 09:05 AM

Onyx and DU are both just the front end for the repair permissions program built into the OS. When you use Onyx to repair permissions, it's just flipping the same switch that disk utility does. It doesn't do anything special on its own. You have an SSD, everything is a boatload faster. smile

Re: First Mavericks problem - 11/15/13 09:24 AM

So is CCleaner.
Are you guys high and losing track of time or something? grin

CCleaner is the same. It just flips the switch on the built-in permissions repair, it doesn't do anything on its own.

Re: First Mavericks problem - 11/15/13 09:40 AM

I know that, which is why I don't bother to use it for that task.

BTW, I just tried a log-out again. Same problem: blank gray screen and live cursor. I leave it alone for 5 minutes or more, but nothing happens, so I have to use the power button to shut down. Damn!

Re: First Mavericks problem - 11/15/13 10:03 AM

We need to take a look at the Console log, All Messages, at the exact time you try to log out. Make a note of the time exactly on the system clock, seconds too, that you hit log out. Give it 10 minutes exactly, then power down if needed. Either copy/paste the log to me in a PM, or call and I can remote in to read them.

Show us your logs!!!! grin

Re: First Mavericks problem - 11/15/13 10:09 AM

So figure this... Instead of selecting Log Out from the drop-down menu, I used the keyboard shortcut (shift/command/Q). It worked without a hitch! shocked

Re: First Mavericks problem - 11/15/13 11:05 AM

I wonder if something fixed itself, OS X will delete bad plists and start over, or maybe it just doesn't like the drop down. That's when we'd have to look at your logs.

Only way to find out is to try it again with both, see if it's happy now. But that's just me, you may be happy with the key combo and fight that battle another day. As long as nothing else goes wonky.

Re: First Mavericks problem - 11/15/13 11:15 AM

I'll try again tomorrow and see what happens. But I'm keeping in mind that these kinds of bugs are to be expected within the first handful of releases.

Back in the day when I used an Amiga, I was having a particular persistent problem with the machine, so I brought it to the small computer shop I bought it from to have it checked out. Natcherly, like the brakes that stop rubbing the minute you drive to the auto shop, the problem did not occur when I tried to show the tech dude. He 'splained to me that, "Sometimes, they just wanna go for a ride." laugh

Re: First Mavericks problem - 11/15/13 12:09 PM

You'll mock me, I know, cause you're all ruthless. But I swear on everything I hold holy ( whistle ) that when I use DU to fix permissions it takes a long time, whereas with Onyx it takes a couple of minutes at the most.

Re: First Mavericks problem - 11/15/13 12:12 PM

Mock mock mock mock mock

Re: First Mavericks problem - 11/15/13 03:14 PM

Cut to the heart, I am.