Mavericks - Cannot install it

Posted by: KateSorensen

Mavericks - Cannot install it - 10/23/13 12:15 PM

This probably comes as a complete surprise to everyone [rolleyes] but I can't install Mavericks.

I get this message with the install button grayed out. [Internal HD I operate from]

This is just an extra disk with movies, etc.

This is Time Machine backup disk.

These excluded time machine backup.

I repaired permissions. Rebooted iMac. Tried again.Turned off Time Machine and tried again -- no luck. Time Machine is working perfectly. But it thinks I'm using two disks.

Any suggestions to try?

Re: Mavericks - Cannot install it - 10/23/13 12:35 PM

Well dang me. I don't understand this now. I was getting ready to update my backup with SuperDuper and it says my Time Machine is using the internal HD too? Can this be? I looked and could not find iton the HD.

So from my previous post, can you see anything I've done wrong?

Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Mavericks - Cannot install it - 10/23/13 01:16 PM

Woah. I would back slowly away from the computer and wait for Reboots advice.
Posted by: steveg

Re: Mavericks - Cannot install it - 10/23/13 02:00 PM

What Nuc said. I had a problematic upgrade yesterday and a growing list of issues today. I'm gonna restore 10.8.5 and wait awhile before I try again. Granted, I'm using software that you aren't for processes that you have no use for, but I'm getting the feeling Mavericks needs a few updates before it's gonna be stable. That, plus some apps aren't yet compatible.

Re: Mavericks - Cannot install it - 10/23/13 02:15 PM

thanks guys. i'm on hold.

Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Mavericks - Cannot install it - 10/23/13 04:50 PM

Why are you using 2 backup softwares?

I don't see your Macintosh HD (your boot drive) listed in the time machine prefs.

Re: Mavericks - Cannot install it - 10/23/13 05:14 PM

Well, I backed away from Mavericks altogether. Restored 10.8.5 and will wait 'til Epson and Extensis and Adobe CC release their 10.9 compatibility updates and when my backorder is under control. My bad. A totally boneheaded idea to just update an OS on a whim in the middle of a huge multi-channel campaign. crazy

Thanks, Jim. Hope you enjoyed the pizza and had a safe trip home.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Mavericks - Cannot install it - 10/23/13 05:54 PM

Take a screen shot of the folders on the Macintosh HD. You can PM it to me if you don't want to post it here.

Also go to Startup Disk Preferences, which disk is highlighted?

Re: Mavericks - Cannot install it - 10/23/13 06:01 PM

Originally Posted By: KateSorensen

Well dang me. I don't understand this now. I was getting ready to update my backup with SuperDuper and it says my Time Machine is using the internal HD too? Can this be? I looked and could not find iton the HD.

I don't get why you have SuperDuper restarting then booting from the backup, and why it mentions making a restorable dmg.

Also take a screen shot of Fantom Backup, and the window in SuperDuper under Options.
Posted by: Nana

Re: Mavericks - Cannot install it - 10/23/13 06:36 PM

I am not going to jump into the fire from the frying pan install Maverick until an update comes along and/or Macworld comes out with a Maverick FAQ/tips. For one thing a lot of my 3rd party apps are not ready yet for Maverick. Especially, my Epson printer/scanner.

I'll let all you guinea pigs sort out the issues first. whistle
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: Mavericks - Cannot install it - 10/24/13 03:36 AM

You are a wise man. Let them get out all the bugs first before installing this system.

Re: Mavericks - Cannot install it - 10/24/13 12:08 PM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
Why are you using 2 backup softwares?

I don't see your Macintosh HD (your boot drive) listed in the time machine prefs. *I will comment on that in another post/ ethel

If by two backup softwares you mean SuperDuper and Time Machine. Here was my thinking. I always kept a bootable backup using SuperDuper or some other ancient long gone app. So if I was left without an working hard drive, I had a backup.

Then Time Machine came along and I didn't see how I could use the TM backup to boot my Mac with or see the usefullness in that regard so I kept up with the SuperDuper backups. I do use TM to get lost files, etc. because it is fast and convenient.

However, as noted in previous posts, John, and now include Jim, somehow I must have tricked TM to thinking it was using my internal hard drive and an external to back up TM stuff. Hence, Mavericks gave me the message both were being used and Mavericks would not install on internal hard drive.

More to follow.

Re: Mavericks - Cannot install it - 10/24/13 12:22 PM

quote Jim quote KateSorensen ..

Well dang me. I don't understand this now. I was getting ready to update my backup with SuperDuper and it says my Time Machine is using the internal HD too? Can this be? I looked and could not find it on the HD.

For whatever reason TM chose my internal HD to make a folder named: Backups.backupdb/katescomputer, and it remained empty throughout all TM backing up, I don't know. I tried deleting that folder and running TM but it reappeared and remained empty.

.. I don't get why you have SuperDuper restarting then booting from the backup, and why it mentions making a restorable dmg.

I always had SD restart/boot from the backup to make sure it was valid and working.

The dmg? I don't know. Sounded like another insurance clause for free smile.

This little bit of sad news, though not earth-shattering, I can live without my TM recent backups. [sad] In the SD screen capture, it says it will replace TM backups on my external HD with my internal HD TM info -- which was empty/none/zilch.

I do have a valid, working, bootable backup of my now internal HD.

Will do that in a few.

Re: Mavericks - Cannot install it - 10/24/13 01:11 PM

I do the same thing, Kate. I use Time Machine for a daily backup of my Projects and Documents folders, and I have Carbon Copy Cloner set up to backup my entire internal drive every Sunday. Each of those two backups go to their own partition on my external drive. Plus I use Crash Plan for hourly cloud backups of projects and documents throughout the day.

Re: Mavericks - Cannot install it - 10/24/13 02:33 PM

Oops Steve. I store my SuperDuper on my internal HD. My deck of cards only has 51 cards too. frown I sure need to buy me a "Keeper" in my old age. I'm going to move my backup right now. We'll just keep this tidbit between you and me. All our other friends do not need to know so much about me! Ha. . .

I think I will write this in invisible ink so that Reboot guy who is trying to help me won't see it. grin

Re: Mavericks - Cannot install it - 10/24/13 10:25 PM

So I decided to move the dmg to an external drive. Five hours ago it started and says it has two more hours before it finishes.

3 items are the dmg, a pdf and the folder, I guess.

Re: Mavericks - Cannot install it - 10/26/13 04:14 PM

I installed Mavericks. The solution was to delete the folder from my hard drive that designated the hard drive to be a Time Machine backup disk. I found the instructions on Apple's website under support/Time Machine/suggestions of problems. It said you cannot install a OS X on a hard drive that was used for Time Machine backups, then gave instructions how to delete the folder from the desired hard drive.

I did as was suggested him the instructions and then I started the install OS X Mavericks from the installer I got from the app store. It tells me now that I have about 24 minutes before I will have mapped the Mavericks on my iMac. Yeah hey!

I am without any time machine backup on my iMac but Mr. Jim Reboot has said he will help me set up a Time Capsule I got once a long time ago with a 2 TB hard drive. I have the DMG backup on an external hard drive so I am okay if the internal drive crashes.

On Facebook I read about some of our Macintosh group friends using dictation and they said it is better now. So just for giggles and grins, I have dictated this whole response on my iPad using voice dictation. I think it worked very well. [Smile]

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2986

Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Mavericks - Cannot install it - 10/26/13 05:46 PM

That was dictated?
Wow.
I'll have to give it another chance.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Mavericks - Cannot install it - 10/26/13 09:36 PM

I'm using dictation now to say this. My problem though is that I think better when I'm typing. So speech makes it harder for me to communicate on the computer. I know, I'm weird.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Mavericks - Cannot install it - 10/26/13 09:51 PM

What? wink

Re: Mavericks - Cannot install it - 10/27/13 02:51 AM

Dictator Al? eek
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: Mavericks - Cannot install it - 10/27/13 04:46 AM

?

Re: Mavericks - Cannot install it - 10/27/13 07:03 AM

Given my 3rd degree Black Belt in Typo-Do, I'll have to give that a try when I give Mavericks another shot (Fohchinetly, my Bahst'n accent has mostly disapeahed. grin )

Re: Mavericks - Cannot install it - 10/27/13 08:36 AM

Originally Posted By: steveg
(Fohchinetly, my Bahst'n accent has mostly disappeared. grin )
Uh huh, yeah, right. smirk
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Mavericks - Cannot install it - 10/27/13 09:15 AM

LOL.. I spoke with Steve recently on the phone.. and was going to post something very similar. grin

Re: Mavericks - Cannot install it - 10/27/13 09:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Acumowchek
What? wink

Let me repeat, now typed. I'm weird. smile

Re: Mavericks - Cannot install it - 10/27/13 09:45 AM

Have you heard Gina McCarthy, Obama's appointee to the EPA? Take you home it will. smile

Re: Mavericks - Cannot install it - 10/27/13 10:15 AM

Indeed. laugh

Re: Mavericks - Cannot install it - 10/27/13 01:50 PM

I'm much more comfortable communicating in written/typing form. Talking ain't my real forte. wink

Re: Mavericks - Cannot install it - 10/27/13 02:28 PM

Hear hear!!

I mean, Read read!!
Posted by: jpms1

Re: Mavericks - Cannot install it - 11/01/13 01:46 AM

Mine is really tricky, when I am waiting for the last bit the installation, it seems like it stops by there. I have kept my macbook turned on for the entire night and there's no change in the other morning. When I felt upset about it I press the power button to turn it off and restart again. I am panic it would crack down as the installation is not finished. Surprisingly it restarts successfully and nothing is lost. I am so happy to see it. Now I've been using the OS X Mavericks and there's not much different to me as I am just surfing the net and watching some videos.

Re: Mavericks - Cannot install it - 11/01/13 11:50 AM

It is true that there seems to be not a lot of new or changed features at first look.

As you read around the internet about tips and performance of Mavericks, I think you'll find some really neat things that will please you.

Congrats at keeping at the installation and finally getting success.

Kate/Ethel
smile