Adobe Illustrator Guides...

Posted by: steveg

Adobe Illustrator Guides... - 10/20/13 09:23 AM

Since CS6 and now in CC, the guides in Illustrator are locked by default, and unlocking them requires going to View->Guides->Unlock, or using the keyboard shortcut Option/Command/; . I've searched through the Preferences panels and Googled everywhere, but cannot find a way to set the default to Unlocked.

Unlock was the default through CS5, and I can't figure out why they would have changed it. It's like Apple dropping extended keyboards — just because... crazy

Anyone got the magic key?
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Adobe Illustrator Guides... - 11/05/13 05:01 AM

~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator 17/en_US/New Document Profiles/Print.ai

Open and edit that file to include any "default" things you might want. Every new document you create should honor those settings. This is different than simply making adjustments to AI when no document is open.

Re: Adobe Illustrator Guides... - 11/05/13 07:06 AM

Um… You're assuming I can code. Nope. I opened that monster (in TextEdit) and did a search first for terms like "guides" and "locked". Nada. Then I searched "default" and got a bunch of hits that gave me no clue.

There's gotta be a way to set a default without literally re-writing the software. That, Sir, is way above my pay grade.

But thanks anyway.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Adobe Illustrator Guides... - 11/05/13 07:51 AM

Have you tried changing the settings with no documents open?

Re: Adobe Illustrator Guides... - 11/05/13 08:13 AM

Unless you have an open document, things like Guides are grayed out.

But… THIS JUST IN!!! I remembered that back in the day, if you wanted to save certain settings as defaults in some apps, by saving the document and then closing the window while holding down the Option key, it would lock in those prefs permanently. So for shˇts & giggles, I just tried that old trick. It works! And just to be sure, I closed and reopened, quit and relaunched, and even restarted. And waddaya know, Guides in AI are now unlocked by default. cool

Hey, we don' need no steenkin' code! laugh
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Adobe Illustrator Guides... - 11/05/13 08:24 AM

You mean the ALT key? wink

Awesome. I'll have to try this.

Re: Adobe Illustrator Guides... - 11/05/13 08:31 AM

Same key.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Adobe Illustrator Guides... - 11/05/13 08:33 AM

Sigh. I'm just not as funny as I think I am…

Re: Adobe Illustrator Guides... - 11/05/13 09:11 AM

Either you're not that funny or I'm not that bright. confused grin

Re: Adobe Illustrator Guides... - 11/05/13 10:57 AM

HA! I posted this lil' find on the Adobe Forums and another member replied with these instructions:
Quote:
The state of whether the guides are locked or unlocked is in the adobe Illustrator prefs. Editable guides set to 1 indicated the guides are not locked, 0 would be locked.
So I gave it a try, and discovered that the value was already set to 1 — which means the old-school trick had produced the same result. laugh

So, I repeat: We don' need no steenkin' code! grin
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Adobe Illustrator Guides... - 11/05/13 11:29 AM

Jeebus... couldn't they just give you a GUI button for that?? eek cool

Re: Adobe Illustrator Guides... - 11/05/13 12:08 PM

No shˇt. I don't know why that can't be a simple choice in the Preferences. I mean, if you can choose stock or custom colors for the guides, solid or dotted lines, in front or in back… why not add a locked/unlocked default option? Yeesh! smirk
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Adobe Illustrator Guides... - 11/07/13 08:27 AM

Nice to see you found a simple fix. That being said, the document I was referring to (print.ai) doesn't need to be "coded" - you just open it in Illustrator, make your settings, save the file, and you're done.

Re: Adobe Illustrator Guides... - 11/07/13 09:41 AM

Ok, that file, when opened in AI, is blank. Nothing to edit. If I understand you correctly then: You open this file, select Unlock Guides, save and close it. Right?

Well, that's no different from doing the same with any AI document — which is what I did. I unlocked the guides on a document I was working on, saved it, and while holding down the Option key, closed it. Same result. The Option key was the only difference. And it changed the appropriate value within that Prefs file that I mentioned the other day.

So, no code needed, but a cat is required. Because there seems to be many way to skin it! laugh