Why I love VueScan

Posted by: steveg

Why I love VueScan - 10/19/13 03:45 AM

Consider this a strong endorsement and a heads-up for Epson scanner and MFC users.

I've been using VueScan with outstanding results since OS9 days with every scanner and MFC I've owned, and Ed Hamrick (the man behind the app) has been consistent and diligent with version updates.

Last summer I bought an Epson WorkForce 7520 MFC (which, BTW is proving to be the best damned machine I've ever bought), and of course VueScan is compatible with it. Except for one issue: I could not complete a duplex scan cycle, even though there's an appropriate setting in the VueScan prefs/control menu. However, that process works via Epson's own proprietary scan software, which rules out a hardware problem. So I waited through a few VueScan updates, and when there was no improvement, I emailed Ed Hamrick and described the problem. He asked me to install WireShark and send him the report.

A few days later a new version was released, which seemed to solve part of the problem, but actually presented a new issue. I let Ed know and he had me send him the vuescan.log file. Again, a new update a few days later, but still no joy, and I passed along the bad news.

The day before yesterday he told me he's ordered the same MFC so he can engage in hand-to-hand combat with this demon and release a fix next week.

Now that's what I call customer support! smile
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Why I love VueScan - 10/20/13 05:58 AM

I'm also a devoted VueScan user. No better app out there and Ed is quick to fix issues. The hardware manufacturers would be wise to license it from Ed and include it as an install.

Re: Why I love VueScan - 10/20/13 06:23 AM

Great idea. But he's not into licensing. I have a Cincinnati client in the document management business, and they offer a digital imaging service. They're working on a proprietary scanning system that they can offer customers for desktop and mobile use, so I asked Ed if he'd be interested in developing the software for them, and he declined. Go figure...

Re: Why I love VueScan - 10/24/13 04:44 AM

BOOYAH! He nailed it. cool

Woke up to an email from Hamrick this morning with a link to d/l 9.3.15. I now have 100% scanning function with the WF 7520. Which means I no longer have to rely on EpsonScan.app for ADF duplex scans. Which is especially welcome because Mavericks broke the Epson scan software (VueScan was unaffected, despite the duplexing issue).

Ed, you iz da MAN! smile
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Why I love VueScan - 11/05/13 04:35 AM

I used VueScan many years ago. Loved it. That being said, when a vendor driver doesn't work, I've found that Image Capture almost always does for basic needs.

As most here know, you should never, ever, EVER install the printer driver updates that pop-up in your App Store app or Software Update panel. NEVER. In fact, if your printer/scanner is working perfectly fine, I wouldn't even install updates directly from the manufacturer.