Safari and Flash

Posted by: NucleusG4

Safari and Flash - 10/02/13 11:47 AM

My flash is current and everytime I go to The daily beast I get a Flash crash and the dreaded "Flash stopped a threat" message.
What gives?
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Safari and Flash - 10/02/13 11:59 AM

Try System Preferences > Flash Player > Advanced > Delete All.

is it just going to the home page that does it or a certain link on the page?

Re: Safari and Flash - 10/02/13 12:49 PM

There were 2 site names that came up...this was one of them.

static.adsafeprotected.com

I had already deleted all.
Go to the politics page and scroll down to the "What will history say?" link.. that causes it.

Re: Safari and Flash - 10/02/13 04:52 PM

You're probably getting different ads than me. For example I have an ad at the top for our Electric company, AEP Ohio. Another was for local Donatos.

Edit -

After reloading a few times I did finally get a window saying that Flash stopped something from loading;

Quote:
Adobe® Flash® Player has stopped a potentially unsafe operation. The following local application on your computer or network:

/about/blank

is trying to communicate with this Internet-enabled location:

ds.serving-sys.com

To let this application communicate with the Internet, click Settings.
You must restart this application after changing your settings.

Of course none of that was until after I turned off AdBlock. smirk

They have some bogus ad in the rotation. Probably not their fault, it's their ad provider. Probably went for the lowest bidder. smirk

Re: Safari and Flash - 10/03/13 04:07 AM

Dod it completely bugger safari and cause a Force Quit?

Re: Safari and Flash - 10/03/13 04:42 AM

No.

Re: Safari and Flash - 10/03/13 08:16 AM

Yeah.. it shut Safari down completely 4 times before I gave up.

Safari 5.1.1.0
OS X 10.6.8
Flash 11.8.800.168

Re: Safari and Flash - 10/03/13 08:35 AM

Okay, I'm on 10.8, Safari is better about crashing.

You might try going into Safari Preferences and delete all dailybeast cookies and empty the Safari cache.

You can also try telling Safari to never accept cookies or only from sites you visit. The reason I mention the cookies is we get different ads for different locales.

Or try AdBlock.

I guess it's a lot just to view one web site, eventually the bad ad in rotation will drop off.

Re: Safari and Flash - 10/03/13 08:44 AM

OK.. Ad Block fixed it. I'm a gonna give them a donation.
Thanks.

Re: Safari and Flash - 10/03/13 09:16 AM

I sent them something too. I usually run with AdBlock on, but sometimes I do turn it off just to see what's out there. I like the widget it puts in the toolbar in Safari, you can turn it off and on from there, and configure it on a site by site basis if some annoying ads get through.

The ones I hate the most are those that automatically start playing a video as soon as the page is opened. I'll command click links or bookmarks to open a lot of tabs in the background. All of a sudden you have something coming out of your speakers disrupting your tunes and harshing your mellow, then you have to search which tab it's in and scroll to find the ad to pause the video.