Adobe Typekit...

Posted by: steveg

Adobe Typekit... - 09/18/13 06:47 AM

So Adobe Creative Cloud has launched Typekit and I've set it up and selected a couple of fonts to sync to my desktop as a test. The fonts are listed in the Synced list within the CC desktop app, which means they should appear in the font menus for all of my CC apps, Word, etc. But they're not there. I've sent an email to the Adobe CC support team, but I'm wondering if anyone else here has encountered the same problem?

Re: Adobe Typekit... - 09/18/13 09:00 AM

Nebbermind. It's working now. Just needed to shake the sleep out of its eyes.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Adobe Typekit... - 09/23/13 04:48 PM

Works great. But try "collecting for output" with an InDesign file, then check the collected fonts folder. Nothing. Zip. Zero.

Of course, it's there - you just can't see it without turning on the visibility bit of the font file. PITA.

It's not the perfect system, but it's pretty darn cool to have access to all those fonts.

Re: Adobe Typekit... - 09/24/13 03:43 AM

Yeah, the question is, if whomever I'm sending a collected file to isn't also on the Cloud, will that be a problem? Will have to test that soon. That said, I'd probably be using those fonts more for headlines than for text, so I'd just CTO anyway.

BTW, I'm satisfied enough with CC at this point that I've uninstalled CS6 on both Macs, and am selling it with a Transfer of License.

Re: Adobe Typekit... - 09/24/13 07:56 AM

Yup. I just did a bit of research. If you package an ID document for press, the printer must also have a Cloud subscription, or the TypeKit fonts won't be available. That's too bad.
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Adobe Typekit... - 09/24/13 11:36 AM

Originally Posted By: steveg
Yup. I just did a bit of research. If you package an ID document for press, the printer must also have a Cloud subscription, or the TypeKit fonts won't be available. That's too bad.

Wow -- that almost defeats the purpose in the first place. I guess the solution there is to PDF everything for print ...

Re: Adobe Typekit... - 09/24/13 11:43 AM

I deliver a/b half my pre-press files as press-quality PDFs anyway. But more complex projects tend to be more effectively managed as native files. I give it a few more months before most commercial printers have migrated to CC, and then it'll be bidness as yoozshul again..
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Adobe Typekit... - 09/24/13 12:04 PM

Originally Posted By: steveg
If the fonts are just invisible won't making them visible work?

Send me something, I'll check it out.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Adobe Typekit... - 09/24/13 01:19 PM

Yes, you can make them "visible" with a utility like Onyx (or dozens of other utilities available). The font is named oddly, a bunch of numbers. But it's there, and you can copy it to a disc/drive or FTP/email it just like any other font.

When you do a collect for output on the ID file that uses a Typekit font, you just browse in the collected fonts folder and it/they will be in there.

The situation sucks, but on the other hand, fonts are supposed to be licensed by each users except for those outputting the file for print. If they made it easy, you'd have everyone downloading the entire collection and sharing it everywhere.

It won't be a problem for long, as I suspect nearly all professional Adobe users will have switched to CC within the next 2 to 3 years - by then, CS6 likely won't run on the latest Macs. That, and they'll realized the GIMP, DrawIt and Apple Pages/Quark XPress aren't viable alternatives for a pro user.
Posted by: drjohn

Re: Adobe Typekit... - 09/24/13 10:11 PM

The little guy deserves to
be invisible.

Re: Adobe Typekit... - 09/25/13 03:52 AM

Like Giz said, there's a work-around. But it's a PIA and somewhat counterproductive. Personally, I'm not sweating it too much, because I'm fortunate enough to have a very comprehensive font collection anyway, and have yet to see any must-have-or-die fonts in TypeKit. I've synced a few that I might want to use for headlines from time to time and I almost always convert headlines to outline.

I was talking yesterday to one of the partners in a large commercial printer in Dayton that does the majority of my print and DM work, and they're currently evaluating CC and expect to migrate their pre-press workflow by the end of the year, which will make life a little easier for me. But again, I see this as a temporary and minor issue.