Urgent problem: [CS4] NOT cs4, graphics?

Posted by: padmavyuha

Urgent problem: [CS4] NOT cs4, graphics? - 08/30/13 05:48 AM

Hi, I know there are some photoshop mavins here, so I thought I'd ask here first to cut a corner or two.

Oh no, this isn't a CS4 issue, it's an OSX/iMac issue, as it's just started happening in Safari too! What the hell is happening? It's intermittent.

All of a sudden, in the last couple of days, any image that I open in CS4 and then try to edit, the entire image window goes black, and that's it. I can close it, and the image itself is clearly unaffected, but I can't do any work. I'm on an iMac 10,1 (late 2009) 24" with OSX 10.8.4 and CS4 (11.0.2). I've tried googling this problem, but can only find reference to GPU drivers in winxx.

Have any of you come across this issue?
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Urgent problem: [CS4] NOT cs4, graphics? - 08/30/13 08:21 AM

Launch Photoshop. Launch Console. In Console, All Messages, click Clear Display. Open an image in PS. Is there anything mentioning video drivers in Console, post the contents of Console here if you're not sure of what it is saying.

I know Safari used to use QuickTime as a helper for images, not sure if it still does.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Urgent problem: [CS4] NOT cs4, graphics? - 08/30/13 11:29 AM

OK... I'm confused. You edit a image and it goes completely black.. and it happens in safari too?
How are you editing an image in safari.

Don't jump all over me but that is what I derive from your post. Not reading the crossed out part makes it even more confusing....
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Urgent problem: [CS4] NOT cs4, graphics? - 09/01/13 06:50 AM

Your video card is going bad. It's going to completely crap out on you eventually, so you'll want to get that taken care of soon, if a new iMac isn't in your budget.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Urgent problem: [CS4] NOT cs4, graphics? - 09/01/13 08:33 AM

My card is fine...tyvm.
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: Urgent problem: [CS4] NOT cs4, graphics? - 09/16/13 09:40 AM

Sorry to leave this hanging - this turns out to be a software bug, the Speed Download Lite Safari plugin and the app itself's background handler would periodically shaft the whole computer in dramatic and impressive manner. Ever since I disabled the plugin, and set the app to self-quit after downloading things, no more problems at all.

Meanwhile, Yazsoft say nary a word in response to my various enquiries about this. Pff.

As to my OP - originally it appeared to be only happening to an image window opened in CS4 - but then it suddenly happened to a Safari window too, so I realised it wasn't a CS4 issue and crossed out that bit. Not clear communication on my part - what they had in common was an open window going black, not the editing part (and then sometimes the entire desktop would black out too).

It's very educational just how much havoc one little app's plugins can cause.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Urgent problem: [CS4] NOT cs4, graphics? - 09/16/13 11:44 AM

Thanks for the update. Looking at Speed Download's site it does say not supported in Mountain Lion. I also notice they still advertise iDisk integration. Not too quick on updating things are they?

Speed Download has caused problems since OS 9 days with internet stuff, but to totally fubar the system? Does it really do anything for you? Safari has its own resume download feature built in.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Urgent problem: [CS4] NOT cs4, graphics? - 09/23/13 04:52 PM

WTF??? My response up there wasn't even for this forum topic, and I just noticed it. Musta been one hellova bender I was on. I thought I was responding to a PM about the "flickery pixels" on an LCD screen.