More Lion questions

Posted by: lanovami

More Lion questions - 07/17/13 09:40 PM

So I have procured a copy of Lion, packaged by Apple on a USB stick. A friend who never bothered to see if his Mac could install it wasted his money and just had it sitting around.

My Mac can handle Lion, but because of only having a 32-bit EFI, it cannot handle the Mountain Lion 64-bit kernel - humor me while I pretend I know in any real depth what that means. Anyway this does mean I can only do Lion.

As it cost me nothing to procure Lion I am not dead set on installing it.

So: those of you who use or used Lion - is it worth it? I found criticisms of it everywhere. However many of these were early criticisms. Maybe the latest builds before ML eventually came out improved it quite a bit? A lot if other sites say that ML vastly improved on what Lion couldn't get right, possibly even more than SL did for Leopard. If this is truly the case I doubt I would want to bother with Lion.

Advice please? smile
Posted by: steveg

Re: More Lion questions - 07/18/13 02:47 AM

If what you've got ain't broke...

But if you do install it, once the combo updates are done, you may find it pretty satisfying. A while back, I had updated my first gen MacBook Pro from Tiger to Lion, and had no gripes.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: More Lion questions - 07/18/13 07:11 AM

What machine and how much RAM for starters? Go to About this Mac/More Info, what Model Identifier?

You need to be running Snow Leopard to upgrade. Scratch that, you have the thumb drive, SL not necessary.

Also remember that Lion will not run PPC apps, it doesn't run Rosetta. So you'll need to look at your third party apps and make sure they'll run.

Lion does run faster than Snow Leopard, but only if you have enough RAM.

You can revert back to Snow Leopard if you don't like it but it involves wiping the drive and restoring from a clone of your old system, there is no back grade migration path.

That's off the top of my pointed head, if I think of anything else I'll post.

Posted by: MacBozo

Re: More Lion questions - 07/18/13 02:14 PM

I've been running it on a MacMini, 2.0 GHz Intel Core2Duo, 2 GB of RAM from nearly day one of the release. No problems to report.

Re: More Lion questions - 07/18/13 04:17 PM

Thanks for the feedback so far.

I heard a lot of people really found the "duplicate" or something function as opposed to Save As, quite a problem. Also, the lack of scroll bars or something? I have trouble imagining these things without much reference - I tooled around on a store Mac Lion OS a while back but didn't have much time to look for differences in feel and function.

I do have SL installed, and I think I tripled my RAM recently. That end should be okay.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: More Lion questions - 07/18/13 05:54 PM

If you can install Lion, I recommend Mountain Lion.
Much better…

Re: More Lion questions - 07/18/13 06:02 PM

Ay, there's the rub. I don't have the specs for ML only up to Lion.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: More Lion questions - 07/19/13 09:52 AM

The scroll bars are set by default to be off but can be turned on. They did away with the scroll arrows though which some people complained about. I rarely used them anyway, I'm more of a scroll wheeler or page up/down type.

Missing Save As workaround.

It does have advantages, like being able to update to Safari 6, full screen option in apps which I use in Safari frequently, Java 7. iCloud integration, I use the Address Book and iCal sync between my phone and computer daily. Make a change on either phone or computer and it shows up in the other.

Re: More Lion questions - 07/20/13 02:42 AM

I am leaning strongly towards doing mostly on the feedback I heard here. I will let you know how it goes. Won't hold it against you I I don't like it.

Re: More Lion questions - 07/20/13 02:43 AM

smile