Forecast calls for Clouds

Posted by: steveg

Forecast calls for Clouds - 07/08/13 09:19 AM

Upgrading to Adobe Creative Cloud this week.

Because the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask, I spoke to an Adobe CSR this morning to make sure I have all the details before I make the move.

Yeah, it just installs over CS6 (or whatever version of CS you have) like any other upgrade. And you can install on two computers. But if later, you decide you don't like CC, you can uninstall it and reinstall your CS version. And you have 30 days in which you can cancel CC and get the 1st month's fee back. Better still, if you're keeping CC, Adobe will allow you to sell your CS version and serial no. Seems like a pretty good deal.

I just need to wrap a couple of small deliverables by mid-week, and then I'll stick my head in the Cloud. grin
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Forecast calls for Clouds - 07/08/13 02:12 PM

Woo, grats! At $20/month for us CS6 users, it's definitely worth the first year subscription ...

Just to be clear regarding the install: your "old" CS install remains; the CC installer doesn't delete it. The new CC updater will also keep your CS apps up to date (well, as much as they're going to be updated, at any rate), which is also nice =)

Also, not sure if I'd sell the CS until it becomes apparent CC is something we can depend on -- probably be good to keep that option on the table =D

For me, so far, so good after a few weeks of CC -- now I just have to get a Cinema 4D manual!
Posted by: steveg

Re: Forecast calls for Clouds - 07/08/13 02:30 PM

LOL, after the ping-pong matches I've had just finding the right printer, there ain't no way I'm selling CS6 until (and if) I have a long-term, intimate relationship (maybe even a kid or two blush )with CC. wink
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Forecast calls for Clouds - 07/10/13 06:11 AM

I may be interested in purchasing your licensed hard copy.. let me know if you sell.
Posted by: steveg

Re: Forecast calls for Clouds - 07/10/13 06:35 AM

Otay. But it may be 2-3 months before I make a decision. I want to be absolutely and irreversibly certain that CC is the right choice, and that CS6 is no longer crucial to my workflow.
Posted by: steveg

Re: Forecast calls for Clouds - 07/10/13 02:08 PM

Well, CC is installed (Ai, Ps, Id, Br, Mu, Dw). There is no CC versions of Acrobat X1 Pro or Fireworks. Though, so far, it seems to perform well and the changes in some apps are minimal, it appears that Adobe CSRs and tech support are not nearly as up to speed as they should be.

The other day, I asked the rep if the CC apps would overwrite the CS6 apps, like any update. He said yes. Not the case. All CS6 apps are still there, and fully functional. I also asked if I would be able to open Dw CS6 files in Muse (a reborn version of PageMill, AKA Web Design for the HTML Challenged). I was told I could. It ain't so. Worse, Dw CC crashes every time I try to open a file — CS6 files, or new/original CC files.

I uninstalled and re-installed it three times. Trashed prefs, removed application support files, cleaned caches, deactivated a bunch of fonts, and spent more than two hours on the phone with tech support (with them remotely on my desktop). I even upgraded Suitcase to Fusion 5, which is supposed to support Creative Cloud. No joy. At least I still have Dw CS6 available in the meantime, so I'll wait a few days to see if an update or bug fix is released. And I'm loath to call tech support again, because they clearly didn't know what to do.

So... we shall see, no?
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Forecast calls for Clouds - 07/10/13 02:29 PM

Have you read the Adobe CC forums? Hooboy…
I'm going to hold out as long as I can, until clients start sending files I can't open.
Posted by: steveg

Re: Forecast calls for Clouds - 07/10/13 02:43 PM

Haven't been there yet. My POV is that for $20/mo. for the first year, it's worth it to wait out bug fixes and updates. But if more problems arise over time, well, at least I still have CS6 on the bench. I've got 30 days to decide if I keep it or not.

Interesting detail: One of the techs had me create a "straw" user account, log into it and launch the problem child. Guess what, it opened Dw CS6 files effortlessly! Logged back into my regular account, and crash crash crash again. So I know there's something going on with a library file. But which one? confused
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Forecast calls for Clouds - 07/10/13 03:08 PM

Originally Posted By: steveg
Haven't been there yet. My POV is that for $20/mo. for the first year, it's worth it to wait out bug fixes and updates.
Nothing like a paying beta tester. smirk
Quote:
Interesting detail: One of the techs had me create a "straw" user account, log into it and launch the problem child. Guess what, it opened Dw CS6 files effortlessly! Logged back into my regular account, and crash crash crash again. So I know there's something going on with a library file. But which one? confused
I'd start with fonts if it won't even launch, the apps load fonts at startup. Disable suitcase, and use system only fonts.

Looks like a remote tech support call from a real tech is needed. grin

Try it in Safe Boot mode, Shift key at start up, that should disable any non-Apple fonts.
Posted by: steveg

Re: Forecast calls for Clouds - 07/10/13 04:51 PM

It launches and gives me the project window, but crashes when I try to open a file. No such issue in Safe Mode, but that's not surprise since it worked as advertised when I logged into the straw account.

Suitcase does not have to run in the background, but I deactivated my startup set and left only system fonts active — same problem, so I don't think it's a font, but rather something else in my user library that's causing it. I even tried quitting PopChar to see if something indirectly font-related was at fault, but no joy there either.

All the other apps work. Go figure.
Posted by: steveg

Re: Forecast calls for Clouds - 07/11/13 03:25 AM

Mr. Jim_ to the rescue. Again. Finding the problem and fixing it in a/b a half hour, while Adobe's tech "support-not" scratched their heads for half a day and produced no results. Will delete the same Local fonts folder on the MacBook later today, and hopefully it will be problem-solved on that machine, too.

T'anx, Bruddah! smile