iCal absurdity

Posted by: padmavyuha

iCal absurdity - 07/05/13 04:07 AM

Well, thank goodness for iKey.

It constantly amazes me that the Mac OS is set up so that operations that can all be performed using a keyboard require a mouse to complete them. In this case, it's editing events in iCal (or adding them, if you add them by double-clicking on the day/time as I do). You can fill in the entire event details using the keyboard - but then there's no Save key combo. I've had to make a mouse move-and-click shortcut in iKey to click on the Done button, since there's no equivalent item in the iCal menu. Cmd-E to finish editing doesn't return you to the calendar, just to the Revert/Edit pane, and then you have to click on a button again.

Accessibility my arse.

etc.

I love iKey with a fiery passion.
Posted by: steveg

Re: iCal absurdity - 07/05/13 07:39 AM

Ah, no... You don't need a mouse.

To add an event:
cmd/N
The Create Quick Event window opens
Type something like Library at 2pm, Juy 6
Enter

To edit an event:
In the search window, start typing the event description to highlight it
cmd/E
Type in your edits
Enter

EZPZ and keystrokes only. And we don't need to know how accessible your arse is, thankyouverymuch! blush laugh

Re: iCal absurdity - 07/05/13 07:45 AM

That said, Quick Event doesn't give you any control over which calendar (if you have multiples), alarm prefs, or any other details that have to be accessed via the drop-downs.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: iCal absurdity - 07/05/13 09:05 AM

Originally Posted By: steveg
That said, Quick Event doesn't give you any control over which calendar (if you have multiples), alarm prefs, or any other details that have to be accessed via the drop-downs.

I think both of you should just sell your Macs and switch to Windows. smirk

That said, you can Tab through all of the options and settings when using Quick Events. There are key commands for everything in iCal, no mouse needed, although using the mouse or the Find function to get to an appointment at the end of the month is easier than Tabbing through a couple of weeks of stuff.

Re: iCal absurdity - 07/05/13 09:28 AM

But you can't tab through any options that are in the drop downs like calendars or alerts. But then, I'm not the one having a hissy fit over this. grin

I think you out to sell your Macs and PCs and get an Amiga or an Adam. smirk

Re: iCal absurdity - 07/05/13 09:38 AM

Originally Posted By: steveg
But you can't tab through any options that are in the drop downs like calendars or alerts.
Arrow keys, hit Return when you get to your item. smile

Re: iCal absurdity - 07/05/13 09:44 AM

Originally Posted By: padmavyuha
It constantly amazes me that the Mac OS is set up so that operations that can all be performed using a keyboard require a mouse to complete them. In this case, it's editing events in iCal (or adding them, if you add them by double-clicking on the day/time as I do). You can fill in the entire event details using the keyboard - but then there's no Save key combo.
cry

Instead of Command-E or double click for Edit, do a Command-I. When you're done editing, Command-W to close the Info window.

If making a new event by double clicking the date, name it, hit Return, then Command-I to edit. Command-W out of it.

No iKey needed. There are key combos for everything in iCal.

Re: iCal absurdity - 07/05/13 11:23 AM

Maybe I'm not s'plainin' it right. You can't get to a drop down by tabbing. You have to click it with the mouse. Then you can use the arrow key to navigate the drop down menu once you're in it. But without the mouse, ya cahn't get thayah frum heyah.

Re: iCal absurdity - 07/05/13 01:58 PM

System Preferences/Keyboard/Keyboard Shortcuts/All Controls button for Tab key at the bottom.

I'm rarely wr..

wro...

wr..

I can't even say it. smirk

Re: iCal absurdity - 07/05/13 03:24 PM

Yah yah yah... Mr. Smart Guy. grin

Re: iCal absurdity - 07/05/13 04:30 PM

Just call me Joe.

Joe Isuzu.