Lion price

Posted by: lanovami

Lion price - 05/14/13 02:04 PM

Does anyone remember what price OS Lion was when it came out?

I finally upgraded the memory on my old but good iMac (don't ask the year, I don't want to jinx myself) so my son could have a smoother experience on his new obsession, Minecraft.

I decided I might as well upgrade my OS now that I can, but my computer is still too old for Mountain Lion, so I figured I would look into the next best thing, Lion, which is still available on the likes of Amazon etc.

Re: Lion price - 05/14/13 02:29 PM

I should add that I ask because if I have to pay a significantly higher amount (you can only get Lion on a thumbdrive now) I am not going to bother.

Re: Lion price - 05/14/13 02:42 PM

Ah, found the answer to my own question on wiki of course. 30 bucks for the download. The cheapest thumbdrive price I could find was used for around 60 bucks. I just hate losing money and I am largely happy with Snow Leopard so..
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Lion price - 05/14/13 02:47 PM

If you're going to do the download let us know ahead of time so I can show you how to save the lion installer. If you just download and install it will delete the installer and if you ever have to reinstall you'll have to download the whole four gigs again.

You do have to be running Snow Leopard to upgrade to Lion by the way.

Re: Lion price - 05/14/13 03:16 PM

The download itself is no longer available afaik. The App Store stopped offering it when Mountain Lion came out. The first time they have done such a thing. Many sites confirmed this.

Re: Lion price - 05/14/13 03:27 PM

Or I guess there is this option, contacting Apple directly

This option
Posted by: garyW

Re: Lion price - 05/14/13 04:24 PM

ebay.

Re: Lion price - 05/14/13 05:48 PM

Well, ebay I would have to pay overseas shipping. But yahoo auction, the equivalent of ebay over there, still wants close to 60 bucks at least.

qualifier: I'm a cheapstake when it comes to things like this. blush
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Lion price - 05/14/13 06:44 PM

Originally Posted By: lanovami
The download itself is no longer available afaik. The App Store stopped offering it when Mountain Lion came out. The first time they have done such a thing. Many sites confirmed this.
I see now, forgot about that. I don't get it but it's their ballgame the bums.

Looks like you're going to have to get creative.