Adobe: All rental, all the time ...

Posted by: six_of_one

Adobe: All rental, all the time ... - 05/06/13 12:04 PM

Well, looks like if you want to keep up-to-date with Adobe apps, you're no longer able to purchase a perpetual license -- it's all subscription-based now ...

I won't deny that since I make my living using a good deal of this software, I'm more than a little ambivalent about having to pay a monthly fee in order to keep using it. Fortunately, I have the latest CS6, which although not EOL'd, apparently won't be updated any further. We'll see how long I can hold out ;-)

Still, a sad day -- the march towards renting apps moves apace =P
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Adobe: All rental, all the time ... - 05/06/13 12:25 PM

BOGUS!
Posted by: steveg

Re: Adobe: All rental, all the time ... - 05/06/13 03:10 PM

SH¡T! I hate that. mad
Posted by: garyW

Re: Adobe: All rental, all the time ... - 05/06/13 03:53 PM

I'm still using CS4 …. I think I should probably purchase CS6 before they're gone frown

So, Adobe is going to charge $50/mo for each app with their CC plan …. to use PS, ID and AI is going to be $150./mo????

If I buy CS6 now they're not going to license me …. meaning what exactly?

Re: Adobe: All rental, all the time ... - 05/06/13 04:09 PM

Quote:
So, Adobe is going to charge $50/mo for each app with their CC plan …. to use PS, ID and AI is going to be $150./mo????

No no, the $50/month is for *everything* ... which if you use a lot of the different apps (or want to learn some new ones), isn't actually that bad of a deal. That is, until you realize that if you used to upgrade the suite (about $600-$800 iirc) every two years, which is about what Adobe's cycle was, they now have you essentially paying about the equivalent of a full boat Master Collection purchase ($1,200) every two years instead ...

And, of course, it's even worse if you skipped a version upgrade or two ...

At least it's a write-off if you use it for business. And you *do* get access to every app except Director. And free updates and whatnot. Yeah, I'm a little conflicted -- I just *hate* the thought of having to pay monthly in order to use software ...

Anyways, if you want to go a la carte, I believe each app is $10/month -- so $30/month for those three you want to use ...

Re: Adobe: All rental, all the time ... - 05/06/13 04:31 PM

okay, I still don't like the subscription.

So, since I'm CS4, do you recommend CS6 over CS5? I'm not a big PS user, 99% ID .

Re: Adobe: All rental, all the time ... - 05/06/13 04:55 PM

I can make my way around ID, but don't use it nearly as much as Illustrator and PS, so I'm not really sure what differences there are betwixt the CS4, 5, and 6 flavors of ID ...

Also, i think you can buy ID individually? If that's all you really use, you may not need to spring for the whole suite =)
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Adobe: All rental, all the time ... - 05/06/13 09:01 PM

Originally Posted By: six_of_one
Yeah, I'm a little conflicted -- I just *hate* the thought of having to pay monthly in order to use software ...
Just wondering, if you stop paying does the software die?

Re: Adobe: All rental, all the time ... - 05/06/13 09:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Jim_
Just wondering, if you stop paying does the software die?

Apparently, dead as a doornail.

From my understanding the files you create are still openable by others who have the paid-up app but not by you, who have failed miserably to maintain your subscription ...

Presumably those files might be openable by the deadbeats who still cling to their guns, bibles and CS6; but since the version will have progressed, the feature set could obviously be limited, if openable at all ...

Re: Adobe: All rental, all the time ... - 05/06/13 09:41 PM

Been reading threads on the Adobe announcement and I have come to one conclusion: buy stock in CS6. (what if?) People are pissed!

Adobe says they will continue to sell CS6 with full license but will not offer any further updates.

So where's the cheapest place to buy CS6 Design Standard? I see new sealed boxes full version (not student educational) on ebay for $875. I need to upgrade, this might be the time.

If the new cloud subscription version is the future of Adobe, what's their incentive to update and improve once it's launched and everyone's bought into it?

Re: Adobe: All rental, all the time ... - 05/06/13 10:19 PM

Originally Posted By: garyW
If the new cloud subscription version is the future of Adobe, what's their incentive to update and improve once it's launched and everyone's bought into it?

Well, that's a good question. One would assume they'd want to keep the gravy train running, and so would keep the updates compelling enough to keep the fish hooked. OTOH, they may see it as a captive market and say "FU -- be a shame if something happened to your software" ...

I guess it all depends on wether someone comes up with a viable alternative to whichever app you use.

Regardless -- not a terribly comfortable situation if you rely on those apps for a living =P

Re: Adobe: All rental, all the time ... - 05/06/13 10:37 PM

Exactly. Say you work for 6 months in CC and then decide it sucks and none of the new files you've created are compatible with CS6.

What if adobe has you in their subscription service and they decide to go all Facebook on us and start running ads or data mining …. Adobe hasn't exactly built up much trust yet, have they? laugh
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Adobe: All rental, all the time ... - 05/08/13 07:36 AM

Pricing and facts here. I'm 50-50 on Creative Cloud. Part of me hates the lack of options, the other part loves the constant upgrades.

Re: Adobe: All rental, all the time ... - 05/08/13 10:42 AM

Thanks Jim.

Your website is fantastic. I just read your iMac review because that's my plan also to ditch my MacPro and failing 30" ACD.

So, new 27"iMac with 512GB SSD, thunderbolt to 6TB storage and CS6. I don't think iMacs will refresh until November so this will be my 5-year office upgrade. grin
Posted by: steveg

Re: Adobe: All rental, all the time ... - 05/08/13 12:56 PM

10-Q 4 dat. Clears up my questions. Time to decide when to jump.

Re: Adobe: All rental, all the time ... - 05/08/13 01:37 PM

Nice handy recap of pricing and whatnot -- thanks =)

Just a note, though: according to Adobe's FAQs, you can in fact purchase monthly subscriptions:

"Does the advertised monthly price for Creative Cloud membership require an annual commitment?

Annual plans for complete and single-app membership, as well as Creative Cloud for teams, offer the best price and require an annual commitment. Cancellation charges for annual plans do apply after the first 30 days.

You also have the option to select a month-to-month plan and pay a higher monthly price with no commitment. All plans purchased on Adobe.com are billed monthly."

Of course, there's no mention on their subscription page what exactly that month-month pricing actually is (although I *think* I read in one of the articles that it was, like, $70/month for the suite without the annual commitment) ...

=)
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Adobe: All rental, all the time ... - 05/09/13 02:39 PM

That line in the FAQ may be left over from the old Creative Suite subscriptions. But your guess is as good as mine.

Re: Adobe: All rental, all the time ... - 05/09/13 03:16 PM

laugh

Re: Adobe: All rental, all the time ... - 05/09/13 07:01 PM

Man, I love those Hitler bunker tirades -- this one was really good! Thanks =D
Posted by: Mac007

Re: Adobe: All rental, all the time ... - 05/14/13 07:22 PM

Well all I gotta say is goodbye Adobe, don't let the door hit you in the buttocks on the way out. I and many more will NEVER subscribe. In fact if this goes beyond Adobe I may just be left with a browser and a lot of old software. Maybe it's just time to give up on computers and take up some other sort of diversion. wink