Eudora 5 problems

Posted by: yoyo52

Eudora 5 problems - 05/27/01 08:51 PM

I've asked this question at almost every place I could think of and no one has ever answered it so that I could correct the problem.<br><br>Here are the symptoms. Eudora 4.xx works fine on my G4 AGP. It works fine on all my computers, in fact. When I update to Eudora 5, however, I always get a DNS problem on the G4, but not on the other computers. I've asked folks at the Eudora forum, and they've given me suggestions, but none of them has worked. So, if anyone has a way to get Eudora 5.1 to work on my G4, I'll be eternally grateful.<br><br>And that's true too/--Shakespeare, King Lear
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Eudora 5 problems - 05/27/01 08:57 PM

are we to assume that it is the beta Eudora and you are running this under OS X? or are we to assume you are running the non-beta Eudora under 9.1? sorry but it is not clear to me and i did read your post three times heh heh<br><br>ok i re-read it yet again, it seems that you are speaking of the 9.1 environment, and it would therefore seem to me to be a TCP/IP related issue... i am sure you have already tried deleting the TCP/IP pref's, right? i have other ideas on the matter... i will wait to see your reply...<br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by nycdewd on 05/28/01 00:02 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: TreeBeard

no DNS expert but this may.. - 05/27/01 09:18 PM

be of use anyway there is a thread here that amplifies some issues and tricks and amongst them is a gem of usefulness Eudora tech support read Tools of the Trade <br><br><br>ask yourself..what have you done to improve our life together today?

Re: no DNS expert but this may.. - 05/27/01 09:26 PM

while we are at it, ResExcellence has some info regarding eudora's proclivities to invade one's privacy a bit... believe it or don't, this COULD be an issue affecting your DNS troubles and it can be turned off...<br>http://www.ResExcellence.com/index_05-01c.shtml<br>

Re:TCP/IP - 05/27/01 09:27 PM

should have nothing at all in it if it is set to use PPP server<br><br>ask yourself..what have you done to improve our life together today?

Re:TCP/IP - 05/27/01 09:31 PM

nonsense, there are DNS numbers to be specified in the TCP/IP control panel (and therefore the pref's) for a PPP server, this is necessarily so...<br><br>

Re:TCP/IP - 05/27/01 09:45 PM

if you say so... i am not here to arue.. I wear the non-expert tag and the drip is not therefore under any pressure to be a spurt.<br>but for your info my TCP/IP panel reads zero, nada, blank, zilch.. and I am here ain't I?<br><br>ask yourself..what have you done to improve our life together today?

Re: wasn't that exactly what I said? - 05/27/01 09:48 PM

only mine was not able to be read by a searching bot...<br><br>ask yourself..what have you done to improve our life together today?

Re: wasn't that exactly what I said? - 05/27/01 10:00 PM

well, here in the states, if one has a dialup then one has DNS numbers supplied by one's ISP and they must be duly entered into one's TCP/IP control panel. after having perhaps 8 -10 ISP's over a period of about as many years, i have never known an ISP that did not require such a configuration to be made, unless AOL does some sort of weird-assed setup, which may be the case... i have never touched AOL<br><br>now i have DSL, and that is quite another issue... DHCP servers and whatnot, it's altogether easier to have a router and a DSL account than it is to have a PPP service...<br>

yes well that was the case... - 05/27/01 10:09 PM

on OS 8.6 but since OS 9. I have not had to place anything in the TCP/IP panel as open Transport Remote Access (OS 9+) seems to handle all that. the only items of infromation I have entered in fact are the telephone numbers, my internet name and password. Netscape got upset and so too did IE when I told them nothing... but it is all capable of being sorted from the server by open transport remote access... as far as I am aware...<br><br>ask yourself..what have you done to improve our life together today?

Re: yes well that was the case... - 05/27/01 10:16 PM

i have stated the facts. read them again if needs be, they are not that subtle nor nuanced.<br><br>furthermore, this is all quite academic... TCP/IP pref's can, without a shadow of a doubt, become corrupted for any number of reasons... whether one specifies one's ISP DNS numbers in the TCP/IP control panel or not! and now i suppose you'll say you wouldn't argue with that, after you previously stated you weren't here to argue... heh heh<br>

:) - 05/27/01 11:08 PM

never argued with that<br><br>ask yourself..what have you done to improve our life together today?

Re: Eudora 5 problems - 05/28/01 09:13 PM

No, not the beta on X, which I haven't tried yet, but the paid-for 5 in good old 9.1. In fact, the problem appeared as soon as the upgrade to 5 came out, which was before 9.1 was available. And yes, I trashed the appropriate preference files and fiddled around with the speed of accessing the DNS via the x-settings. No luck, though. Not that I mind using 4.22, you understand, but I really want to find out what's going on!<br><br>And that's true too/--Shakespeare, King Lear

Re: probably an aside but..a few Q's - 05/28/01 09:33 PM

um on your Eudora .. do you have a custom splash?<br>have you ever had the message ... "cannot proceed with installation ...cannot replace DITL"? As I had to do this on install of Eudora 4.3 I think it was..I had to replace the original DITL and Splash before I could go ahead with the install.<br><br>Also have you double checked the TCP/IP options? (don't load unless needed)? <br>and.. have you allocated a specific host file on the G4?<br><br>Open up the shutters on your windows<br>Unlock all the locks upon your doors<br>Brush away the cobwebs from your day-dreams<br>No secrets come between us any more<br>Justin Hayward

Re: probably an aside but..a few Q's - 05/29/01 08:39 AM

Never had a problem installing it and don't have a custom splash either. I've done every permutation of TCP/IP that you can imagine. It just doesn't like my G4, that's all I can figure!<br><br>And that's true too/--Shakespeare, King Lear

Re: probably an aside but..a few Q's - 05/29/01 09:02 AM

ok, i know this may seem completely absurd and not directly relative to any DNS issues... but... have you zapped your NVRAM? i only ask because it seems you have tried everything, and suggest you try that, it does a bit more than a PRAM zap does... i wish i could find the post at MacFixit regarding when and why to zap PRAM/NVRAM, it basically stated that a zap is something of a last resort (not that it is a drastic measure, it is not) and was rather humorous as well... drat. i will search for it yet.<br><br>OH, and zapping the NVRAM differs procedurally from a PRAM zap in that you must shut down the Mac first and then perform the procedure as you would for zapping PRAM (hold down the option, command, P, and R keys as the Mac is starting up and continue to hold them down until you hear three "bong sounds" then let up on the keys... further, some will say only one "bong sound" is needed, some will say four are required, whatever...)<br>~~~<br>"Our civil rights have no dependence upon our religious opinions more than our opinions in physics or geometry." --Thomas Jefferson

Re: Eudora 5 problems - 05/29/01 09:16 AM

heh heh, found it in spite of MacFixit's horribly slow search process (could that server be any slower?), the particular snippet which i was referring to is...<br> <br>HERE<br><br>videlicet:<br><br>1. Zapping the PRAM can help only if it is the possible solution to a problem.<br><br>2. Only if something is the possible solution to a problem, can it help.<br><br>3. Zapping the PRAM can help only if it can help.<br><br>------------------<br>MicroMat Inc<br>Makers of TechTool<br><br><br><br>~~~<br>"Our civil rights have no dependence upon our religious opinions more than our opinions in physics or geometry." --Thomas Jefferson

Re: probably an aside but..a few Q's - 05/29/01 04:27 PM

some machines like mine also have a reset button on the motherboard, this will fix things if you have one<br><br>Thinking is the best way to travel
Posted by: Alex

Re: Eudora 5 problems - 05/29/01 04:32 PM

yoyo52, I guess you've tried trashing your Eudora and Open Transport prefs already? and the OT version you're running is the same on the other boxes? (makes a clutching action) "Straws! Straws! They're everywhere!!"<br><br>

Re: Eudora 5 problems - 05/29/01 05:01 PM

"reset button" on the mobo is called a CUDA reset button, and that is a somewhat drastic measure as it requires you open the case...<br><br>~~~<br>"Our civil rights have no dependence upon our religious opinions more than our opinions in physics or geometry." --Thomas Jefferson

Re: Eudora 5 problems - 05/29/01 05:08 PM

yes but it works ... as a last resort and a good last resort that always works if nothing else will... better than <br>3. Zapping the PRAM can help only if it can help.<br><br>I'll sit and watch the web<br> that you will build this day <br>will it be a thread of love you weave<br> it's yours to show the way....Moody Blues

Re: Eudora 5 problems - 05/29/01 06:20 PM

better than? try same as! it is absurd to open one's case when it is unnecessary...<br><br>By the way, this quote was from MicroMat Tech Support:<br>3. Zapping the PRAM can help only if it can help.<br><br>and it was meant to be a tongue-in-cheek remark, totally lost on you it seems<br><br>~~~<br>"Our civil rights have no dependence upon our religious opinions more than our opinions in physics or geometry." --Thomas Jefferson

Re: Eudora 5 problems - 05/29/01 08:36 PM

The logic of the TechTool writer is worthy of a 12th century scholastic philosopher. I wonder if s/he has an inside track on the number of demons that can dance on the head of Bill Gates?<br><br>And that's true too/--Shakespeare, King Lear

not gunna answer that - 05/29/01 09:05 PM

you need to get to know me better, you keep ass-U-me-ing<br><br>The proof of intelligent life in the universe is that they have not bothered to contact us

Re: not gunna answer that - 05/30/01 09:16 PM

need? that is assuming much, right there. may not want to get to know you any better than i do now... and i think i know you fairly well. no "spring chicken" here, been around the block a few.<br><br>oh and due to time constraints and other pressing matters, i did not get around to posting this the other night, from the Apple TIL:<br>--------<br>Many system problems can be resolved by resetting the Cuda chip. The function of the Cuda chip is to:<br><br> Turn system power on and off.<br> Manage system resets from various commands.<br> Maintain parameter RAM (PRAM).<br> Manage the real-time clock.<br>--------<br>THAT is essentially and for nearly all intents and purposes what is accomplished by a PRAM zap and an NVRAM zap does yet more... that said, there are a few times when a CUDA button reset is indicated, such as when one installs a new CPU, etc<br><br><br>do have a nice day/evening<br><br>~~~<br>"Our civil rights have no dependence upon our religious opinions more than our opinions in physics or geometry." --Thomas Jefferson