AirDrop stopped working on MBpro

Posted by: steveg

AirDrop stopped working on MBpro - 03/05/13 07:24 AM

I've been using AirDrop to txfr files back and forth btwn my Mini and MBpro. Much faster and easier than file sharing. I do this maybe once or twice a week. This morning, AirDrop would not launch on the MacBook.

When I double click the icon, instead of opening the AirDrop pane, it opens a duplicate finder window. Oddly enough, holding the Option key while double clicking the icon opens the pane and shows the Mini. However, the MB still doesn't recognize the Mini. I don't get the "Save" option on the MB, and the Mini tells me the connection failed.

Nothing system-wise has changed recently, except for this morning's Java update via Software Update. I applied that to both Macs, but since AirDrop still opens on the Mini, I assume I can rule out the Java update as a culprit. Some googling has turned up a few issues regarding connectivity, but nothing like the no-launch problem I'm experiencing.

I have repaired permissions, done fsck -f, and run DW. But still no joy.

Any ideas? confused
Posted by: Jim_

Re: AirDrop stopped working on MBpro - 03/05/13 07:53 AM

Originally Posted By: steveg
I have repaired permissions, done fsck -f, and run DW. But still no joy.
On both machines? Reboot the router?

BTW you don't need to double click the icon in the sidebar, just one click. You do have the Airdrop window open on both machines correct?

Re: AirDrop stopped working on MBpro - 03/05/13 08:28 AM

Ok, problem solved. I had to get on the phone with someone who knows WTF he's talking a/b since there ain't no help here. mad

P.S. Thanks, Jim. Good talkin' to ya. laugh
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: AirDrop stopped working on MBpro - 03/05/13 08:31 AM

Yeah--what Jim said. No double clicking required!

Re: AirDrop stopped working on MBpro - 03/05/13 08:51 AM

The problem was, that for no reason I can pin down, AirDrop was never in the sidebar. Selecting it from the Go menu or via shift/command/R only opened a finder window which displayed available drives, and double clicking the AirDrop icon would open the pane. It was always like that on both machines, but just stopped today on the MB. Jim had me check AirDrop in the finder prefs, which placed it in the side bar, so now, regardless of how I access it sidebar, Go, keyboard shortcut the pane opens immediately.

Just one of those things that hide in plain sight.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: AirDrop stopped working on MBpro - 03/05/13 02:19 PM

The sidebar is how I get to it. Easy as pie from there!

Re: AirDrop stopped working on MBpro - 03/08/13 11:24 AM

Enee Menee Miny Mo. This f'n troll's mama is a ho'. smirk