FIREFOX & VIDEO

Posted by: choker

FIREFOX & VIDEO - 03/03/13 09:21 AM

QUESTION I THINK I KNOW THE ANSWER TO.
I am running a g5 on version 10.5.8.
Firefox is browser of choice
I keep getting notices that Java needs to update to run certain (MOST) videos. If I try to update I get a message that the current version will not run on my machine.
Am I correct in guessing that those of us still running older Macs (non-Intel) are basically F'd or is there some work around or different software I missed out on
Thanks, choker
Posted by: Jim_

Re: FIREFOX & VIDEO - 03/03/13 10:02 AM

Can you give a link for a vid or two?

Re: FIREFOX & VIDEO - 03/03/13 10:18 AM

let me look around a bit

Re: FIREFOX & VIDEO - 03/03/13 10:31 AM

My Bad
Not Java, Adobe Flash

http://screen.yahoo.com/dog-shows-mean-face-011459175.html

Also get a message popup saying "Some plugins used by this page are out of date." & a button to upadte
Doing so brings up a message that flash is no longer supported for this computer
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: FIREFOX & VIDEO - 03/03/13 11:57 AM

Unfortunately, many sites require using newer versions of the Flash plugin than you are capable of running. Yet another reason to hate Flash!

Re: FIREFOX & VIDEO - 03/03/13 03:54 PM

Originally Posted By: choker
Also get a message popup saying "Some plugins used by this page are out of date." & a button to upadte
Doing so brings up a message that flash is no longer supported for this computer

I tried it on a G4 10.5.8.

Get this zipped file. Download will start. It's a modified version of the Flash 11.5 plug-in made to work on PPC. The instructions are in the zip file.

You might consider getting http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/ a FF build. You want to get the right version for your G5. You'll need to enable some plug-in stuff the first time you run it. This explains it pretty well, they have them shut off by default for security. The link refers to java but it will turn flash on too.

Your link sometimes played in FF, it would usually throw up a scipt error and lock up FF. Tenfourfox did fine.

Safari played it no problem also.

Posted by: MacBozo

Re: FIREFOX & VIDEO - 03/04/13 05:06 PM

I also saw very recently that Apple has disabled older versions of the Flash plugin due to security issues in the plugin.
Posted by: caincha

Re: FIREFOX & VIDEO - 03/05/13 12:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Jim_
You'll need to enable some plug-in stuff the first time you run it. This explains it pretty well, they have them shut off by default for security.
The only reason I was still using Safari over TenFourFox was because I did not knew how to enable Flash on TFF, thank you!!

Re: FIREFOX & VIDEO - 03/05/13 04:38 AM

Keeping PPC alive one dinosaur at a time. grin

Re: FIREFOX & VIDEO - 03/05/13 04:41 AM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
I also saw very recently that Apple has disabled older versions of the Flash plugin due to security issues in the plugin.
Meh. I bet you run anti-virus software too. wink Just stay away from the pr0n sites.

I did mention that BTW.

Re: FIREFOX & VIDEO - 03/05/13 04:43 AM

Originally Posted By: caincha
You'll need to enable some plug-in stuff the first time you run it. This explains it pretty well, they have them shut off by default for security.
The only reason I was still using Safari over TenFourFox was because I did not knew how to enable Flash on TFF, thank you!!
Also make sure you check out the link for flash 11.5. I've revived quite a few PPC machines with it.
Posted by: caincha

Re: FIREFOX & VIDEO - 03/05/13 07:59 AM

Also make sure you check out the link for flash 11.5. I've revived quite a few PPC machines with it.
I already had that for quite a while now and it's really great! smile
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: FIREFOX & VIDEO - 03/05/13 08:30 AM

About pr0n--this is instructional. And decidedly not pr0n!