Riddle me this, HP...

Posted by: steveg

Riddle me this, HP... - 01/25/13 10:59 AM

One of my printers is an HP CP2025dn color laser printer a wee bit over 3 yrs old. It's connected to my wireless router via ethernet cable. Every once in a great while, the connection would be lost overnight (computer and printer sleeping), so in the morning nothing would print. However, restarting the computer would resolve the issue. Any documents in the queue from the first attempt would print as soon as the computer had fully rebooted.

About 2 weeks ago, Apple posted a software update for HP drivers. After making sure the update supported this printer, I went ahead and installed it.

Ever since then, the overnight connection loss is more frequent, and a restart doesn't help. When I open the printer queue that failed job is there and can't be deleted (error message says can't delete a deleted file). And with that document stuck in the queue, it blocks other documents from printing.

The only fix is to go to Library/Caches, delete a folder called com.hp.dmf.DataStore, and restart. Only then am I able to print. Yeesh! eek

I just downloaded and re-installed the driver update, and will see if anything changes tomorrow AM, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this or has any ideas.

BTW, the last driver update HP offered was for OS 10.7, and it's not even available for download any more. The only file on the HP site is a firmware update that I already installed nearly a year ago.

TIA.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Riddle me this, HP... - 01/25/13 11:51 AM

The update in software update was for 10.8. Now that you've installed the 10.7 stuff is the HP update available again? If not look in HD/Library/Receipts for HP installer receipts and delete them. The HP update should show up again.

You might try deleting the printer, then go to HD/Library/Printers and delete anything HP related, reboot, and let the OS reinstall the software.

You could also try setting it up as an IP printer rather than Bonjour in case it's a Bonjour thing so the computer knows exactly where to go instead of relying on Bonjour.

You can probably get the IP from the config page of the printer. If IP works you might want to lock that address into the printer manually or set up the router to always hand out that address to the printer. It would be under something like Static DHCP or DHCP Reservations in the router config.

Any or all of the above.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Riddle me this, HP... - 01/25/13 06:17 PM

W.
T.
F.
Is it with you and printers??? LOL

Re: Riddle me this, HP... - 01/26/13 06:34 AM

So far, the reinstall seems to have worked. I'll give it a few days, and if the problem shows up again, I'll try some of your suggestions.

BTW, if I were to set up IP printing, do I have to make the same change on my MBP? And does that have any impact on printer sharing?
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Riddle me this, HP... - 01/26/13 08:07 AM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
W.
T.
F.
Is it with you and printers??? LOL
He's the only goofball in this business that still uses a printer, so it stands to reason that he's the only one that constantly has printer problems. wink
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Riddle me this, HP... - 01/26/13 08:45 AM

Originally Posted By: steveg
BTW, if I were to set up IP printing, do I have to make the same change on my MBP?
No. The IP setup only affects the mini.
Quote:
And does that have any impact on printer sharing?
If you're sharing it from the mini to the MBP yes, you may have to set it up again.

If it still drops the printer move /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist to the desktop or something and reboot. That file controls Bonjour.

Re: Riddle me this, HP... - 01/26/13 11:10 AM

Yeah, it's a little easier than shadow puppets or Vulcan Mind Melds when a client asks to see a comp or when I want to print an EM to make sure everything is in order. smirk

Re: Riddle me this, HP... - 01/26/13 11:12 AM

Otay. Will see what happens in a few days. Unless I pop for the M451dn since this one is near the end of it's duty cycle. Crazy, I can buy a whole new laser printer on sale for less than four toner carts for this one.