New Office

Posted by: yoyo52

New Office - 01/16/13 12:57 PM

MS wants to stop selling Office and wants to start renting it. clicky.

Those of us stuck using Office--what do you think of the idea?
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: New Office - 01/16/13 01:41 PM

Where did you get the idea that MS wants to stop selling Office? I see where they're wanting people to use the subscription service -- but I also see where they're still offering it for purchase ...

I'd worry that the subscription would require an internet connection in order to run the software, which would be a deal-breaker for me ...

Re: New Office - 01/16/13 02:38 PM

It's a passive rent rather than buy initiative. If I rent the suite, I can get five licenses; if I buy it, I get only one. I have five computers for which I buy software. The conclusion that I should rent rather than buy is a gimme.
Posted by: steveg

Re: New Office - 01/17/13 03:30 AM

Interesting. It will come down to a user's needs and whether or not s/he is a version update slut. But looking at all those suite options, I'm reminded of Apple's product lineup just before Jobs came back. It damn near sank Apple.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: New Office - 01/17/13 09:42 AM

This is what Adobe is moving toward with the Creative Suite as well.

An internet connection isn't necessary beyond the activation and occasional ping of the license server. For 99% of users, this isn't a problem. While there are some specific cases where this simply isn't going to work, I think most users will have no issues. This of course is presuming that MS will use the same methods Adobe does, which is no guarantee (they have a way of doing things that put a burden on the user).

I suspect that this is how the majority of apps will be sold within six or seven years (maybe sooner). Companies are pressured to continue to lower prices in a race to the bottom. You simply can't put out a quality product like that. This is the same reason most cheap PC hardware is, well... cheap (and crap!).

Eventually, I would guess that the majority of software will live in the cloud completely—nothing gets installed on your computer other than perhaps some sort of wrapper that puts an interface on the data feed to your computer. When you think about it, other than audio/video and specialized apps like Adobe makes, most software is small enough that it could be done this way right now.

Re: New Office - 01/17/13 10:44 AM

Yeah, I agree. I wouldn't mind having more cloud and subscription based apps, But how they structure the pricing is going to be a key factor in user acceptance. For instance, GoToMeeting is a monthly subscription (normally $49). But they offer a 20% discount if you pay the year in a lump sum — plus no contract (stop and restart at will).

Re: New Office - 01/17/13 11:37 AM

My concern with cloud stuff is the degree to which it depends on having web access. If what you say is true, Jim, that after activation you don't depend on the mother ship except for a ping now and then, that's ok. But I don't want to have to depend on an internet connection to get my documents or my music or whatever. And I also agree with the pricing issue. The cost for five computers that the link up above gives is ok with me, but much more and it's not so ok.

Re: New Office - 01/17/13 12:08 PM

I wouldn't worry too much a/b Internet access. At least not with MS products. Having your plumber run a line to the toilet will keep you connected. laugh

BTW, MS. Mother Ship. Conspiracy? eek

Re: New Office - 01/17/13 06:47 PM

AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

Re: New Office - 01/17/13 07:22 PM

Well knowing MS, they'll probably be the ones to figure out a way to screw it all up and require access at all times.

Even Google can offer limited document access and use in their ChromeBooks without web access.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: New Office - 01/17/13 09:34 PM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
But I don't want to have to depend on an internet connection to get my documents or my music or whatever.
That's's what would worry me. Even if you can save the documents locally and not to the cloud, if you didn't have internet access would you be able to launch the app to access them.

My understanding of the whole cloud thing is that the app is not stored locally but loads via the internet.

Re: New Office - 01/29/13 10:45 AM

Staples is pushing it at a discount with a PC purchase, so just for giggles I went to the MS website and had me a leetle chat with one of their Office doods.

If you're a SMB or larger and you need lots of collaboration among employees in and out of the workplace, and want web conferencing, cloud storage, and file sharing/editing, web and Exchange hosting all bundled, it's a decent solution. But there aren't any big improvements or new feature sets to Word, Excel, PPT, etc. In fact, if I were to subscribe, I'd still need Office 2011 on my HD as a client for those apps.

Btwn Office 2011 Home Edition, iCloud, Carbonite, Network Solutions, and GoToMeeting — I've got all the same functionality, albeit, not bundled.

Meh... Nuttin' to see fer me. Just another example MS over-thinking irrelevant doodads.

Re: New Office - 01/31/13 08:17 AM

Neither Office for Mac or Apple's own iWork apps have been updated in years (beyond stupid little security fixes and full-screen support) and it ticks a lot of people off. It's amazing to me that such staple applications have been ignored for so long—especially in the case of MS Office.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: New Office - 01/31/13 08:34 AM

Originally Posted By: MacGizmo
Neither Office for Mac or Apple's own iWork apps have been updated in years
How far can they take a word processing program though. It's so bloated as it is.

Re: New Office - 01/31/13 11:38 AM

No shˇt! (heh heh... you're trick, dood). There are days when I wish I never upgraded from Office 2004.

Re: New Office - 01/31/13 11:43 AM

If they'd only make it possible to sort alphabetically from a list!

wink
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: New Office - 01/31/13 12:24 PM

Don't make fun of me! laugh

I've never owned Word or Excel

Re: New Office - 02/02/13 09:37 AM

So yesterday MS released Office 2011 for Mac v. 14.3 via their update utility. Obviously prepping it for those who will use it as a client for the subscription.