Missing desktop

Posted by: kenglade

Missing desktop - 12/18/12 05:47 AM

Had a crash on my intelbased iMac running Lion, restarted and ran Disk utility. in Verify Disk I had a report of "incorrect Number of File Hard Links" and "orphaned File Inode (ID=10723224." Ran Disk Repair and report said repaid completed successfully. However, all my desktop items disappeared. Do i have to restore them individually or is this a sign that something remains wrong in my system?

Crash occurred while I was in Word for Mac using Collins Thesaurus. is this an incompatible product or did crash just happen to occur then?
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Missing desktop - 12/18/12 07:28 AM

Look in Macintosh HD/Users/your name/Desktop. Are there any items in that folder? If so your desktop has just become invisible.

When you say the computer crashed, did it totally lock up? No mouse movement? You couldn't switch to another program?

What third party stuff are you running, MacKeeper, anti-virus, system hacks to change appearance?
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Missing desktop - 12/18/12 09:57 AM

Also, when you ran disk utility were you booted off the recovery disk partition? If you just restarted normally and ran disk utility it might not have completely repaired the disk you were running from =)

Re: Missing desktop - 12/18/12 10:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Jim_
Look in Macintosh HD/Users/your name/Desktop. Are there any items in that folder? If so your desktop has just become invisible.

When you say the computer crashed, did it totally lock up? No mouse movement? You couldn't switch to another program?

What third party stuff are you running, MacKeeper, anti-virus, system hacks to change appearance?

It completely locked up. Couldn't open anything, not even the Apple logo to restart. Had to hard boot it, including unplugging.

Not running any third party programs unless you count Collins Thesaurus which I was using in Word for Mac when it crashed.

Its really acting strange. I can hear it grinding. I suspect i've either been hit with a virus or something is mechanically wrong with my HD

Re: Missing desktop - 12/18/12 10:09 AM

I didn't have any option but to restart manually. iMac was dead. Had to unplug and then re-plug

Re: Missing desktop - 12/18/12 10:11 AM

On Macintosh HD...desktop. Only shows about half the items I ahd when it crashed.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Missing desktop - 12/18/12 10:42 AM

You don't have a virus, but it sounds like you might have a failing hard drive (if you hear grinding noises). If you just hear the hard disk "thrashing" like it's reading a ton of files, then you have a file system issue. Many times you can simply delete the desktop and finder .plist files in your User Library Preferences folder.
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Missing desktop - 12/18/12 10:43 AM

Quote:

I didn't have any option but to restart manually. iMac was dead. Had to unplug and then re-plug

Shut down, then restart while holding down command + R ... this should boot you off the recovery disk and give you a menu from which you can run disk utility. The repair process will be much more effective since you won't be running off the same partition you're trying to repair ...

However, if you're actually hearing a grinding noise, it's more likely a hardware issue ...
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Missing desktop - 12/18/12 12:36 PM

What he said about command R. When you're in disk utility also repair permissions and repair disk.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Missing desktop - 12/18/12 07:03 PM

If you have a spare goat, I also recommend sacrificing it to the Apple Gods. It can't hurt.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Missing desktop - 12/18/12 07:12 PM

I do that every day.
(Just in case).