Upgrading to ML

Posted by: keymaker

Upgrading to ML - 12/16/12 12:46 AM

So one of my ex students turned up at King's College with a Mac and an iPhone and wants me to carry on teaching him online so I immediately thought of iChat. Then all of a sudden I discover it's been abolished by Mountain Lion so I thought of upgrading from L to ML and using iMessage and FaceTime.

Does anyone know if there'd be any speed penalties going to ML an old iMac running 3.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with RAM maxed out at 16 GB? I run Parallels quite a lot for trading on a Windows-only app so that's another worry if anyone knows of any issues with that. Many thanks,

km
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Upgrading to ML - 12/16/12 06:14 AM

It'll work just fine. Mountain Lion is probably the most trouble-free OS upgrade I've ever seen them come out with. You should notice a slight speed increase in day to day stuff too. Make sure you upgrade to the latest parallels though. BTW If all you're using Parallels for is one app, make sure you don't set the RAM too high and take away from the OS. Two gigs of RAM for Parallels should be more than enough. You can probably even get away with a one gig setting.
Posted by: keymaker

Re: Upgrading to ML - 12/17/12 07:38 PM

Thanks Jimů I'm gonna do it then.

km