'Mail' Problems?

Posted by: Mike

'Mail' Problems? - 12/12/12 03:38 PM

For some reason , some time today 'Mail' stopped recognizing my account password.
I 'reset' it repeatedly but no luck. Now I can't log in..... Bummer! mad
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: 'Mail' Problems? - 12/12/12 06:03 PM

I've had that happen, but not in a very long time. As I recall, a reboot usually fixed the "problem."

Re: 'Mail' Problems? - 12/13/12 04:07 AM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
I've had that happen, but not in a very long time. As I recall, a reboot usually fixed the "problem."

I restarted but the problems persists. Even going to the 'iCloud' webpage and trying to 'get' my mail that way doesn't work. There seems to be a network problem......

"IS FATAL
true

APPLICATION NAME
mail

TITLE
Mail could not be loaded

There was a problem loading the application due to a possible network error or missing resources. Please try again."

(followed by a lengthy log entry)

Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: 'Mail' Problems? - 12/13/12 06:06 AM

Do you have a TM back up?

Re: 'Mail' Problems? - 12/13/12 06:41 AM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
Do you have a TM back up?

Yup. Sure do. Do you think that will 'cure' the problem? It happened suddenly....

Re: 'Mail' Problems? - 12/13/12 06:56 AM

I would wait for Reboots answer... but at least you have a failsafe in place. smile
Posted by: Jim_

Re: 'Mail' Problems? - 12/13/12 07:48 AM

If it's happening with both the Mail application, and on the web through iCloud, my guess is it's nothing wrong with your computer. Something is either fubar in your mail account at Apple, or you're brain farting the password.

The error messages in your other post, where did those come from. Was that the message from the Mail app, or was that what the webpage displayed when you tried to go to your mail in iCloud.

Re: 'Mail' Problems? - 12/13/12 07:50 AM

Can you actually log into iCloud, or do you just get an error when you try to go to mail through iCloud.
Posted by: steveg

Re: 'Mail' Problems? - 12/13/12 08:03 AM

Something in the water, I think. I've had some intermittent Mail/iCloud problems over the past few days, too. And Network Solutions is continuing to have server issues as well. Time to buy a book of stamps! grin

Re: 'Mail' Problems? - 12/13/12 08:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Jim_
If it's happening with both the Mail application, and on the web through iCloud, my guess is it's nothing wrong with your computer. Something is either fubar in your mail account at Apple, or you're brain farting the password.

The error messages in your other post, where did those come from. Was that the message from the Mail app, or was that what the webpage displayed when you tried to go to your mail in iCloud.

It happens with both, the 'Mail' app and on the web. I got part of the 'error' message from the web page. I don't think I've had a brain fart because I never have to type in my password when opening the Mail app. And I've received e-mail just fine until yesterday afternoon.
The computer was off for the past few days. I hardly use it anymore and get my e-mail on the iPad where I repeatedly get this 'incorrect username or password' message. Again, I have it set up where I don't have to type in my password every time.
I don't get it........ mad

Re: 'Mail' Problems? - 12/13/12 08:26 AM

Are you using a password app like 1 Password?

Re: 'Mail' Problems? - 12/13/12 09:43 AM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
Are you using a password app like 1 Password?

No, I do not.

Re: 'Mail' Problems? - 12/13/12 10:07 AM

Originally Posted By: steveg
Something in the water, I think. I've had some intermittent Mail/iCloud problems over the past few days, too. And Network Solutions is continuing to have server issues as well. Time to buy a book of stamps! grin

Yup, I think this is an 'Apple' problem.

Re: 'Mail' Problems? - 12/13/12 10:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Mike
It happens with both, the 'Mail' app and on the web. I got part of the 'error' message from the web page. I don't think I've had a brain fart because I never have to type in my password when opening the Mail app. And I've received e-mail just fine until yesterday afternoon.
The computer was off for the past few days. I hardly use it anymore and get my e-mail on the iPad where I repeatedly get this 'incorrect username or password' message. Again, I have it set up where I don't have to type in my password every time.
I don't get it........ mad
It has to be with Apple then. According to the link below there is no current problem, but it is not always accurate, they take a bit of time to post problems sometimes.

http://www.apple.com/support/icloud/systemstatus/

You can try the Contact Support button at the bottom. I've never used it so I don't know what frustration level it may take you to. smirk

Re: 'Mail' Problems? - 12/13/12 12:06 PM

Well, I don't know if this is the permanent 'cure' but changing my password must have fixed something.
In short, I can now send and receive mail.
Any explanation of why this did the 'trick'?
Thanks for all your advice!
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: 'Mail' Problems? - 12/13/12 12:24 PM

How did you change the password if you couldn't log in? Just wonderin'.

And about the accuracy of Apple's status indicator . . . don't get me started!

Re: 'Mail' Problems? - 12/13/12 12:48 PM

I use the same PW for all my Apple accounts.
Only 'Mail' would let me in, all others: no problem. I could log in to the 'iCloud' webpage but when clicking on the 'Mail' icon, I got the error message.
After changing the PW, all that BS disappeared. Weird.....

Re: 'Mail' Problems? - 12/14/12 03:04 AM

"Only 'Mail' would let me in, all others: no problem. "--- that should have been "...would NOT let me in, ....".
A call to Apple (my second support call to Apple since 1998!!) confirmed that there was a brief 'outage'.
Posted by: steveg

Re: 'Mail' Problems? - 12/14/12 03:26 AM

I get that Mail password rejection thing every now and then. Sometimes it takes 4 or 5 attempts before it sticks. Sometimes a Repair Permissions and a restart clears it up. Go figure. But NetSol's problems are due to their migration to a new platform (since having been taken over by Web.com): Delayed delivery of outgoing and incoming mail, having to run Connection Doctor to connect to their smtp servers, etc. They've been pretty quick to resolve these problems when they occur, but up 'til recently, SPAM was huge problem as they switched over to a new system.

Seems back to normal today.