MacFuse

Posted by: KateSorensen

MacFuse - 11/25/12 12:24 PM

Do I need this on my iMac? 10.6.8 May I safely delete it?

tia

MacFUSE is a FUSE-Compliant File System Implementation Mechanism for Mac OS X. MacFUSE implements a mechanism that makes it possible to implement a fully functional file system in a user-space program on Mac OS X (10.4 and above). It aims to be API-compliant with the FUSE (Filesystem in USErspace) mechanism that originated on Linux. Therefore, many existing FUSE file systems become readily usable on Mac OS X. The core of MacFUSE is in a dynamically loadable kernel extension. How FUSE-compliant is MacFUSE? Well, enough so that many popular FUSE file systems can be easily compiled and work on Mac OS X--often out of the box. Examples of file systems that work have been tested (to varying degrees) include sshfs, ntfs-3g (read/write NTFS), ftpfs (read/write FTP), wdfs (WebDAV), cryptofs, encfs, bindfs, unionfs, beaglefs (yes, including the entire Beagle paraphernalia), and so on. Now the first version of NTFS wrtiteable filesystem is available: http://osx.iusethis.com/app/ntfs-3g

Posted by: Jim_

Re: MacFuse - 11/25/12 12:57 PM

Unless you're running Windows via Parallels on the Mac you probably don't need it. I wonder how it even got installed. We're you doing some geekery behind our backs? grin

Some streaming media apps install it. ZumoCast?

It is used to write to a drive with the NTFS file system which is what is native for Windows. Mac can read NTFS but not write to it.
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: MacFuse - 11/25/12 01:07 PM

I have another iMac that runs Parallels and it must have crept over here!! Or, the Devil gave it a ride over during our last monsoon. . .

I am deleting. Trying to get ready to go to Lion some year soon. wink

Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: MacFuse - 11/25/12 01:25 PM

Go directly to Mountain Lion, if you can.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: MacFuse - 11/25/12 01:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Acumowchek
Go directly to Mountain Lion, if you can.
I second that.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: MacFuse - 11/26/12 12:59 PM

I've had several utilities over the years that installed FUSE. I wish I could tell you what they were, but obviously I must not have found them very useful because I deleted them.