Is this true?

Posted by: Nana

Is this true? - 08/20/12 11:30 PM

Hidden files in the Mountain Lion versio...ac Pro and iMac

The part about the "hidden files?" I do not have ML, so I cannot check.

I was hoping to purchasing a newer model iMac in the near future. And if those "hidden files" are really there, there is still hope my wish may come true. smile
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Is this true? - 08/22/12 11:34 AM

The text in those hidden file has been there since last year. This is nothing new for Apple - they put those model identifiers in the software, even when they know an update could be a year or more off. It's a placeholder.

That being said, we MIGHT see an iMac update in late September or October, but it will likely just be a processor/video card bump and possibly an SSD/storage increase if it happens at all. A totally new iMac probably won't happen until next year, along with new MacPros.

I'm also waiting on new iMacs. It's driving me crazy, because my 2006 MacPro is beginning to act-up (video card just died, and now other motherboard issues beginning to pop-up).
Posted by: Nana

Re: Is this true? - 08/24/12 01:35 PM

Originally Posted By: MacGizmo

That being said, we MIGHT see an iMac update in late September or October, but it will likely just be a processor/video card bump and possibly an SSD/storage increase if it happens at all. A totally new iMac probably won't happen until next year, along with new MacPros.

I'm also waiting on new iMacs. It's driving me crazy, because my 2006 MacPro is beginning to act-up (video card just died, and now other motherboard issues beginning to pop-up).

Good news for me if true. It will be my treat as a xmas present.

I wonder what a totally new iMac will have? My wish list...
Tray loading superdrive (I hate slot drives)
Matte screens
Colors
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Is this true? - 08/24/12 02:16 PM

Mmm... tray loading would mean something horizontal and I think they are past that.. wanting to keep it as small and vertical as possible since a screen has to be that form factor anyways.

Colors.... like fruity colors??
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Is this true? - 08/24/12 03:55 PM

I'd bet it won't have an optical drive unless it's a build to order option. SSDs will be an option, though.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Is this true? - 08/24/12 06:30 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
I'd bet it won't have an optical drive unless it's a build to order option. SSDs will be an option, though.
I figured the SSD option but didn't think about sans optical drive, good point.
Posted by: steveg

Re: Is this true? - 08/25/12 02:50 AM

Well, they took the optical drive out of the mini and dropped the price $100, and made the USB optical available for $80. Works well for me.

Re: Is this true? - 08/27/12 01:57 PM

Tray-loading optical drives are dead and gone as far as internal models go. Quite frankly, I'll be shocked if Apple includes an optical drive in anything but a Mac Pro from now on.

Colors... there's always spray paint - which is the only way you'll see anything but white or black, IMO.

Given that SSDs are already options in the existing iMacs, I would expect that they'll be made standard in future iMacs (not the rumored refresh this year) - with a regular HD being the BTO option.

Matte screens are dead and gone... don't hold your breath waiting for them to return. You'll have to buy a 3rd party external monitor to get that, and I suspect those will begin to be very difficult to find within the next year or two.

Thinking about it, I'm not really sure what Apple can possibly do to release a totally "new" iMac moving forward. They can put faster processors in there, increase the SSD size, add more RAM, and increase the size of the monitor a bit. But realistically, the monitor is about as big as most general consumers would want on their desk right now, and the thing is already fairly thin.

Maybe a better, more adjustable stand. That's something I would like to see.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Is this true? - 08/27/12 02:03 PM

My mother still has a "Lampshade" G4 iMac.
The monitor stand was a work of art
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Is this true? - 08/27/12 03:28 PM

Oh.. Giz.. I dunno... if they can put an espresso machine in a car.... why not a Mac?

Re: Is this true? - 08/28/12 09:39 AM

I'm waiting for the iMac form factor to show up in a MacBook Pro dock/display combo. I could see a 24" screen version for the 13" MPB or MBA laptops and a 30" version for 15" MBPs.

Just slide your laptop into one of these puppies and PRESTO! A desktop all-in-one. cool

Re: Is this true? - 08/28/12 02:51 PM

Steve-O, you read my mind. Way back in the day, I used a PowerBook Duo with the Dock station. The computer sucked, but the concept was awesome.

Re: Is this true? - 08/28/12 05:13 PM

HA! I thought Apple had done something along those lines at one time, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. That's it! You'd think it would be a no-brainer to resurrect the concept.

Re: Is this true? - 08/30/12 10:40 AM

There are a few 3rd party "docks" available for MacBook Pros; whereby you slide your MBP down into the dock and it connects all the ports of the MBP to the docking station - which you have your monitor, keyboard, etc. already plugged in to. Henge Dock is one, but there are others.

With Thunderbolt, it's almost unnecessary though. You get an Apple Thunderbolt Display, with USB ports in it. So essentially you just plug your MB into the Thunderbolt port on the display and you're completely connected to almost anything you need.

Re: Is this true? - 08/30/12 03:17 PM

I was looking at those for my old 15" MBP, but it had ports on 2 sides, so it was a no-go. I wanna see one that is a display that you slide the MacBook into.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Is this true? - 08/30/12 03:36 PM

Originally Posted By: MacGizmo
You get an Apple Thunderbolt Display, with USB ports in it. So essentially you just plug your MB into the Thunderbolt port on the display and you're completely connected to almost anything you need.
For an extra $600+ as compared to a great third party display plus a $60 dock though.

You have become a total fanboy. grin