Snow Leopard - 07/23/12 04:55 PM

Version 10.6: "Snow Leopard"
Version 10.7: "Lion"
Version 10.8: "Mountain Lion"

My iMac

Processor 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Running OS X 10.6.8 [ Snow Leopard ]

So as I recall, there are things to do before I upgrade to "Lion" and then "Mountain Lion"

I remember use guyz going thru that and the discussions. But I wonder if there is a place on the internet where I can get all the info, like, beginning with: checking my Mac for what stuff will not run under Lion? Then, what to back up. Then how to go about buying, downloading, and saving a copy of the Lion? And, all the other stuff.

Egads! Just the thought of all this is going to make me break out with the hives or something. I wish we had our old MacUser club here in McMinnville.
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Snow Leopard - 07/23/12 05:54 PM

From MacWorld:

"Will I need to be running Lion to upgrade to Mountain Lion, or can I upgrade straight from Snow Leopard?

According to the information Apple has provided with the developer preview, you need to be running at least the latest version of Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6.8) to install Mountain Lion."

So, Doesn't look like you need to go through updating to Lion at all =)

I think that article also has answers to some of your other queries ...
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Snow Leopard - 07/24/12 05:52 AM

All PPC based apps will no longer run in Lion or Mountain Lion.
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Snow Leopard - 07/24/12 11:48 AM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
All PPC based apps will no longer run in Lion or Mountain Lion.

Ya bit -- I was hoping there would be an app or something I could install now that would tell me those things.

smile

Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Snow Leopard - 07/24/12 12:56 PM

Kate.. go to System Profiler and look under software.. it will take a minute to see all your apps and there is a column that tells you Intel/ Universal / PPC.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Snow Leopard - 07/24/12 01:03 PM

What NG4 said, any app listed as PowerPC or Classic will not work.
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Snow Leopard - 07/24/12 03:04 PM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
Kate.. go to System Profiler and look under software.. it will take a minute to see all your apps and there is a column that tells you Intel/ Universal / PPC.

Originally Posted By: Jim_
What NG4 said, any app listed as PowerPC or Classic will not work.

Okay! Got a starting point! Thanks guyz. :0