Mountain Lion

Posted by: Nana

Mountain Lion - 07/19/12 05:41 PM

Any testers can reveal if it is faster than Lion? whistle

Read many a review yet haven't found any reviews that mentions its speed vs Lion and/or SL.

I am still on SL. Never upgraded to Lion because it's slower than SL. At least on my MBP circa 2008. However, am thinking of upgrading to ML if it is faster than Lion and/or on the same speed level as SL.
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: Mountain Lion - 07/20/12 04:01 AM

In what way is Snow Leopard faster than Lion please explain to me.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Mountain Lion - 07/20/12 04:37 AM

http://www.google.com/search?client=safa...-8&oe=UTF-8
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Mountain Lion - 07/20/12 07:37 AM

Or here http://bit.ly/NmVqrO

grin

Re: Mountain Lion - 07/20/12 09:57 AM

Originally Posted By: musicalmarv7
In what way is Snow Leopard faster than Lion please explain to me.

On my computer, SL is way snappier than Lion in regards to opening apps and web surfing.

On my computers the snappiest OS's were 9.1, 10.4.11 & 10.6.8.

Re: Mountain Lion - 07/20/12 10:00 AM

Thanks for the link which provided many more. It appears ML is snappier. More like Tiger & SL.

I am going to wait around till Sept prior to installing ML or wait until the first update which usually comes around 30-60 days after the initial release.
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Mountain Lion - 07/23/12 04:42 PM

I get so mixed up with the animal names and which versions of OS X they represent. So most of the time I can't tell which end is up. Finally just found this in Wickipedia so maybe now I can post a question in another thread that I need help with. I am getting behinder and behinder and need to ready my Mac for getting up to date.

5.2 Version 10.0: "Cheetah"
5.3 Version 10.1: "Puma"
5.4 Version 10.2: "Jaguar"
5.5 Version 10.3: "Panther"
5.6 Version 10.4: "Tiger"
5.7 Version 10.5: "Leopard"
5.8 Version 10.6: "Snow Leopard"
5.9 Version 10.7: "Lion"
5.10 Version 10.8: "Mountain Lion"

Posted by: DLC

Re: Mountain Lion - 08/09/12 05:12 PM

Kate you forgot the next upgrade...

5.11 Version 10.9: "Puddy-tat" wink

I upgraded to Mtn Lion and it did slow some, but I had only 4 Gb... added 8 Gb more for $56 and it's MUCH snappier !! so I think you've got to boost RAM if you don't want a performance hit. It wasn't bad w 4, but this is much better.
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Mountain Lion - 08/12/12 12:04 PM

Good for you David! smile

What do I want in an iMac performance?

To be able to use EyeTV, read the news and forums, play Mah Jong, Solitaire, do jigsaw puzzles, read email, do things with my photos, manage my iPhone/iPad, and ??

The older I get, the more my needs narrow. Forgive me if I ramble now. Monday is Ruski's birthday. We've had no news of her for quite some time. I wish someone would clue us in to her status. Pirate and I have a birthday Friday. I'm not in to celebrations any more. Just glad to hang around for another year. I get excited with all the new technology, still. But for me, I think it just gets so confusing and bowls me over that I just settle for what I have, as long as it works. wink

This to me is exciting: I've been digging out laurel tree roots in my side yard. Kind of like teeth extraction, ha. I love digging in the dirt and feel like it is playing in a sand box. But today my right hand is swollen and painful. Looks like I have a boxing glove on. I'll be back at that area soon and will plant more Oregon Grape there. Making a hedge line of sorts to block out a view of side yard.

Get ready Texas! Here comes Dr. David!!
smile

/end forum hyjack

Posted by: leicaman

Re: Mountain Lion - 08/18/12 03:02 PM

Apple upgraded the graphics system in ML significantly. And most of what I'm reading is that does make it faster than Lion for later Macs that support off-loading processor cycles to the GPU. With my 2008 Mac Pro, that's what I'm finding. It seems a lot snappier with ML than Lion. It also has 16 gigs of RAM and the mid-range graphics card.

Re: Mountain Lion - 08/20/12 11:29 PM

Originally Posted By: leicaman
Apple upgraded the graphics system in ML significantly. And most of what I'm reading is that does make it faster than Lion for later Macs that support off-loading processor cycles to the GPU. With my 2008 Mac Pro, that's what I'm finding. It seems a lot snappier with ML than Lion. It also has 16 gigs of RAM and the mid-range graphics card.

That is great news to hear! Thanks for your imput.
Posted by: salamanderSam

Re: Mountain Lion - 01/16/13 10:47 PM

Originally Posted By: DLC
Kate you forgot the next upgrade...

5.11 Version 10.9: "Puddy-tat" wink

How bout SnagglePuss? Anyone remember that cartoon cat?