Two Serious problems FF 13 and iBank3

Posted by: kenglade

Two Serious problems FF 13 and iBank3 - 07/08/12 10:31 AM

I am plagued with two concurrent serious problems which may or may not be related. If they are, I don't know how. And I have no idea how to correct them. I'm running Lion an an Intel Mac.

1. FF 13. For more than a year I've been happily chugging along with FF 11. Until yesterday when FF decided my system needed upgrading and automatically installed FF 13. The problem is, the upgrade deleted my bookmarks and more than a half dozen toolbars which contain links I've been years in building. I tried restoring FF 11 from TimeMachine. It loads and About shows it is FF 11. However, my bookmarks and toolbars are still missing. I tried deleting FF entirely and creating a new profile. No help. I'm totally bewildered and don't know which way to turn since FF has no support system that I can find. I uncovered an 800 number that is supposed to help but it connected to a guy in India who wanted $189 to "fix" the problem. Guess what I told him. I'm wide open to suggestions. Ironically, FF 11 is still running uninterrupted on my MacBook Pro but I don't know how to move it over.

2. If FF wasn't enough of a problem, I'm bit hit with a double whammy from iBank. When I switched from PC to Mac several years ago Quicken did not have a Mac compatible feature. So I started using iBan. Then when I bought a new desktop running Lion (rather than Snow Leopard) iBank said that was no problem; that iBank 3 was Lion compatible. It was until about five days ago when i was unable to open iBank and got an error message saying my OS was not compatible. I contacted iBank support and after about three days I got a response saying that sometimes happens and I should re-install iBank. I did. It opens. But all my data is missing, apparently off in the ether. I tried restoring from an earlier copy of iBank on TimeMachine. Still no data. I'v been frantically emailing iBank's alleged tech support but no answer.

WTF is happening? Is this just coincidence or could there be something in my system. All my other programs, including Safari, seem to be operating normally.

Any thoughts?
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Two Serious problems FF 13 and iBank3 - 07/08/12 11:01 AM

I wouldnt restore FF app from Time Machine.. I would restore the bookmarks file ( or your whole user profile).

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=244
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Two Serious problems FF 13 and iBank3 - 07/08/12 11:06 AM

Just replacing FF won't bring back your bookmarks, those are in a separate folder.

First Quit FF, make sure you quit, don't just close the FF window/s. Then go to the GO menu in the Finder, hold down the Option key and a folder called Library will appear in the list (this folder is now invisible in Lion so you can't get to it through the regular Finder method) click on Library in the drop down list and it will open, now double click the Application Support folder.

Now enter Time Machine and go to a date before you installed FF 13. Inside the Application Support folder will be a Firefox folder, replace your current FF folder with this one.

Next open the Preferences folder in that invisible Library folder and look for org.mozilla.firefox.plist, replace it too, relaunch FF. Exit TM.

For the banking app I don't know for sure but the first thing I would try is Quit iBank, then open that Library folder again in TM and in a date before you had the problem look for an iBank folder in Application Support, also look in Preferences in that Library folder and find any file that has iBank in the name, replace both files.