I am in deep trouble

Posted by: KateSorensen

I am in deep trouble - 02/04/12 06:58 PM

My iMac will not start up.

My 4.3 DisdWarrior DVD is stuck in disk drive.

I chose a partition to boot from called DW for Intel systems.

IMac now wont boot so I can change startup drive.

When I choose DW disk to boot from by holding down letter "c" at startup, it gets stuck on spinning gear.

I've searched around Gogle and Apple support forums without luck.

I dont have ApplrCare.

I am flustrated. :-)

I think I can call Apple and pay per incident call or something -- I think. If I try to get help here, I get so d a m n e d mixed up. Getting too old -- too old.

/rant

Good thing for trusty iPad!
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: I am in deep trouble - 02/04/12 07:02 PM

Try to get the DVD out by restarting and holding down the mouse button till it gets to desktop..?

Re: I am in deep trouble - 02/04/12 07:09 PM

My iMac will not start up . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I need to designate new startup drive --the internal hard drive. But

My iMac will not start up . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Re: I am in deep trouble - 02/04/12 07:24 PM

Unplug iMac for 10+ minutes and try again.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: I am in deep trouble - 02/04/12 07:34 PM

Hold down the Option key right after you hear the startup chime, it will get to a screen where you can choose the startup disc.

Re: I am in deep trouble - 02/04/12 09:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
Hold down the Option key right after you hear the startup chime, it will get to a screen where you can choose the startup disc.

Hey! That's a good tip. Didn't get a chance to try it. Since I ranted and rested up a while, I tried target mode. Nearly forgot about my backup iMac in the other room. It allowed me to choose to eject the CD, the partitions, or all. I chose CD. Nothing happened. But I exited Target Disk. rebooted mucked up iMac and held down that key on top row to eject disk. It ejected and I was back on my iMac Hard Drive. Phew!!

Please remember that startup disc hint for me will ya. I may need it some day. Thanks Reboot and Nuc.

Re: I am in deep trouble - 02/05/12 04:10 AM

Great! Bet you were sweating it...lol.
You do have a back up, right?

Re: I am in deep trouble - 02/05/12 06:45 AM

Yeah, iMac is back. Now I read up some more how to use DiskWarrior.

Propely!

Re: I am in deep trouble - 02/05/12 07:02 AM

W
Originally Posted By: KateSorensen
Yeah, iMac is back. Now I read up some more how to use DiskWarrior.
DW takes a really long time to boot from the DVD.

It also may be too old a version to boot your iMac if it's a new iMac. Alsoft's tech support is pretty good. They can tell you if the DW version you have will work with your iMac if we can't figure it out.

What version does it say on the front of the DVD. What is the model # of your iMac, System Profiler will have it. It should say iMac 4,1 or something in the number-comma-number format.

smile

Re: I am in deep trouble - 02/05/12 07:37 AM

Kate.. lol.. I said.. you do have a back up right?
Time Machine or or otherwise..?
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: I am in deep trouble - 02/05/12 10:13 AM

DW version 4.4 is the most recent release.

Re: I am in deep trouble - 02/06/12 08:00 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
DW version 4.4 is the most recent release.

I downloaded the updater to bring my 4.3 up to 4.4. Then I used the disk to repair/rebuild, etc. I am not sure how to deal with the message it brought me :-( Or maybe I don't have to do anything. Anyone have any suggestion? tia

make it bigger if you want.

Re: I am in deep trouble - 02/06/12 09:07 PM

None of it is any big deal. You can delete the first three plists. The first is just some Yahoo installer, the second is just the mactracker app, the third is for the iPhoto screen saver option. Empty the trash after deleting them. If it says any are in use, log out and back in.

The last plist though is buried in the TechTracker preference pane. Uninstalling then reinstalling it may fix it, if not it's just a bug in the preference pane.

None of it should cause problems with the Mac except maybe the iphotomosaic.plist since it's for the iPhoto screen saver. In worst case it would just crash the screensaver probably.

Re: I am in deep trouble - 02/07/12 12:05 PM

Thank yew!